Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The suspended slab ended up between 120mm and 150mm thick or 4-6"

Comment

Nothing wrong with repurposing. A good portion of my build was respurposed, salvaged, or scrounged materials.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

All experienced builders - do i need to extend my floor insulation layer out under the vent landing?
        And does a IFB covered with SS sheet sound like a reasonable floor heatbreak? would the SS be dangerously hot to the touch if i were to brush my arm over it?

Comment

I finally collected all materials and have made a start on the oven.
          My concrete slab includes plastic sheet beneath, a waterproof additive to the concrete, tile waterproof membrane and porcelain tiles to raise the insulating board off the slab to avoid wicking.
          Probably overkill but my oven is not raised as is traditional and i am trying to keep the oven dry.
          I will start laying floor bricks tomorrow. Hopefully i can take a little of the unevenness out of the cal sil board with the sand fireclay mix.
          Cheers
          Last edited by tommo21; 04-23-2017, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tommo21 View Post
            All experienced builders - do i need to extend my floor insulation layer out under the vent landing?
            And does a IFB covered with SS sheet sound like a reasonable floor heatbreak? would the SS be dangerously hot to the touch if i were to brush my arm over it?
            If you are wanting to limit the conduction of heat by using IFB's, then placing a highly conductive material (more than 10 x more conductive than dense brick), bridging over them is counter productive. Yes it will get hot. If you must use it then make it as thin as possible e.g. 0.55 mm

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...als-d_858.html
            Last edited by david s; 04-23-2017, 04:36 AM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks again David.
              After more reading on vent arch temperatures other builders have shared, I am less concerned about the heat break. Avoiding creating a heat sink with the vent arch makes sense - but ensuring the fire bricks in the working area are not scolding is probably more important. I think i will take my outer insulation blanket over the vent arch anyhow.

I have started a thread for my build stage now - i will post any further questions there.

Cheers.

Comment

Remember that if you design a heat break although it may prevent a little heat from conducting to the entry,, being so small, usually around 10 mm or so, is not enough to be of a major benefit. You wouldn't expect 10 mm of underfloor or dome insulation to be particularly effective in preventing heat transfer. The heat break's primary function IMHO is to act as an expansion joint, preventing cracks to the outer shell. This can only be achieved if the material used in the gap is somewhat flexible. A section of stainless tubing for example, is not. It may look smart but won't be able to absorb any expansion from the hotter inner oven.

Comment

Thanks David. The more i ponder the heatbreak i am drawn towards the ceramic rope or tape say 50mm x 3mm at a guess between the inner arch face and the vent arch. and depending on availabilty and cost seem a luxury still.

Comment

David - do you employ a heat break on yours? It seems like your chimney flue is compressed into the dome so far, that there's really no "entry" to speak of, so I've sort of concluded that the builds you show here do not employ one.
                    Last edited by cnegrelli; 05-20-2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Most builders like to try and slow down the heat transfer from the dome to the flue gallery in an attempt to reduce it acting like a heat sink, so place their heat break between the two. My build is rather different in that it is cast and my flue gallery only weighs 10 kg so the heat sink effect is reduced. For that reason and because of my floor design, my heat break/ expansion joint is between the flue gallery and the outer decorative arch. Because this position sees lower temperatures it has advantages in the materials used. I use 5:1 vermicrete in the gap but the fibreglass rope should be ok so long as you can find a way to prevent loose fibres falling into your food.
                      Last edited by david s; 05-03-2017, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Hi Tommmo,

Just noticed your comment from a year ago or so. This is the Tile Saw I used.

Your build is looking good!!

Cheers,

Matt Click image for larger version

Name:	60 Ryobi-450W-Tile-Cutter-180Mm.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	404830

Comment

Working...
                        X