Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to acheive this look, flush opening hearth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to acheive this look, flush opening hearth.

I am trying to acheive this look, how the cooking floor is flushed with the hearth. Im not sure the proper way to build the hearth. Does anyone have input? thank you folks in advance!

This build did something similar.....not 100% flush but close

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-oven?t=3176
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

You can either cast a basin in your supporting slab or build up around the outside of the oven up to the floor level. The second method is easier because it doesn't require complex formwork and you can use a lightweight concrete mix.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        You can either cast a basin in your supporting slab or build up around the outside of the oven up to the floor level. The second method is easier because it doesn't require complex formwork and you can use a lightweight concrete mix.
        david, so i can pour a 3 1/2" slab with concrect, use ceramic fb board to lay on top, then pour a lightweight concrete mix around the ceramic board to make it flush with the cooking floor?

Comment

Yes, but be aware that your underfloor insulation is then more likely to hold moisture in itself, so seal the top layer well to prevent water entry and drill or cast holes in the supporting slab to provide somewhere for the moisture to exit.

Comment

So i understand, the underfloor insulation (ceramic fb board that ill be using) is more likely to hold moisture.
            I should seal the top layer (ceramic fb) and cast holes in the supporting regular concrete slab for moisture to exit. is this correct? thank you for your input, very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jas0ny View Post
              So i understand, the underfloor insulation (ceramic fb board that ill be using) is more likely to hold moisture.
              I should seal the top layer (ceramic fb) and cast holes in the supporting regular concrete slab for moisture to exit. is this correct? thank you for your input, very much appreciated.
              Yes, but make sure water can't get in from above the underfloor insulation.
              Last edited by david s; 01-20-2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I built my oven this way. The counter is perfectly even with the oven floor. I had 3" of insulation + the brick floor on top of the slab. I poured 2" of concrete on the exposed slab, then laid a pre-cast 3" thick concrete counter top on top of that. The advantage of using the pre-cast was that I could get a nice overhang and thick exposed edge.

My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I agree with DJ there are other ways to achieve the look you are looking for. Most times I have seen the well in the slab it is for vermicreet so it is not as likely to be damaged. When I did my oven I poured a 6" thick lip in front of the insulation to support the vent and the poured a 2.75" counter top to make it flush with the cooking floor. There are many different ways to the same end point.

Randy

Comment

here is another take. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4447.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	395822
                    Texman Kitchen
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Good to see you online Texman
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Been awhile DJ. Glad to see the familiar names out there. Must be a thousand more ovens out there by now. I don't suppose someone figured out how to make them build themselves yet, have they? I saw Gulf is still active, but i havn't had much time to poke around yet. Congrats on the Il Pizzaiolo!
                        Texman Kitchen
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

+2 on "Good to see you online Texman" . I'm glad to see that you are still enjoying the fruits of your labor. The oven looks great and the pie looks delicious.

Russell UtahBeehiver is also very active, There are several others that you will remember. It would be great if you would visit more often. There are folks joining every day that could use some advise or just a little look at what you cook in the oven.
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                          X