Corner Build in South East PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner Build in South East PA

Well, I'm jumping into this head 1st. I have my fire brick and poured the slab today.
    What comes easy won't last long, and what lasts long won't be easy.

Got any pictures so your progress so far?

Comment

Yes, but I can't upload them from my phone for some reason. I'll have to download onto my PC then upload later tonight.

Comment

When I try to upload a picture I get an error message that I'm over the 2.0 size limit. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Having already exceeded parts of the budget, I'm planning on using the 5:1 mix of perlite : Portland Cement instead of using CaSi board between my hearth and my floor, Will 4" be adequate?

Comment

I'm using medium duty fire bricks. I was able to source these used from a lady who had a large kiln years ago. She had a stack of about 1000 bricks. I bought 250 for $400.00. This part of the build is under budget. So, far it's the only part that is.

Comment

Has anyone ever used a product called Roxul as the insulation over their dome? Below are the manufacturer specs. They state use to 1200F. Would my bricks exceed 1200? This is considerably less $$$ than the other products I'm considering. I may do 1" of the Aluminosilicate wrap followed by a blanket of this if the firebricks can be expected to exceed 1200..

Roxul #40220 Specifications

• Zoro #: G8641543
              • Mfr #: 40220
              Strength: Medium Length: 48"
              Thickness: 3" Density: 8#
              Approx. R Value: 12 Material: Mineral Wool
              Moisture Absorption: No Item: High Temperature Insulation
              Standards: ASTM C612 Type 1VB,E136,E84, C665,C795 Stainless Steel, Chemically Inert Width: 24"
              Temp. Range: 0 Degrees to 1200 F Color: Green

Comment

After reading more about it, I believe that this is a rigid board, not a pliable blanket. Yeah well........

Comment

How big are your pics? Most phones default size are much larger than 2 Mg so you need to reduce pic size. If you don't know how Google it. Mineral or Rockwool is not the best choice for either floor or dome insulation. If budget is an issue you can go with 8 to 10 - 1 pcrete at least 4" thick, 6" better. On the table posted, some of the key requirements are compression strength at 5% deflection the other is K value. 4" 5 to 1 pcrete is you "minimum" recommended floor thickness, more would be better.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks. I'm planning on going with a 6" slab of 5:1.

Planning for that: I'm thinking about only doing 3 courses of cinder block for my hearth base instead of my original plan of 4. 3x8 = 24. 4 inch slab for the hearth. 2.5" firebrick. 6 inch pcrete = a total of 36.5" height of the cooking surface.

Comment

Rule of thumb for floor height is roughly elbow height.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris inPA View Post
                        Thanks. I'm planning on going with a 6" slab of 5:1.

Planning for that: I'm thinking about only doing 3 courses of cinder block for my hearth base instead of my original plan of 4. 3x8 = 24. 4 inch slab for the hearth. 2.5" firebrick. 6 inch pcrete = a total of 36.5" height of the cooking surface.
                        I recommend you give careful consideration to the height of your cooking surface. Specifically to how much you will need to bend over to tend to your fire and pizzas.
                        It's most definitely a personal choice but do your back a favor. Make a mock up of your oven floor and your outer arch, then simulate reaching into the 'oven' to build a fire and use a broom handle to place and tend to 'pizzas'.

I'm 6 feet and my oven floor is 48.5 inches from the ground.
                        - George

My Build
                        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Today i stripped the forms off of the slab. Now it's time to start with the blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo View Post

I recommend you give careful consideration to the height of your cooking surface. Specifically to how much you will need to bend over to tend to your fire and pizzas.
                            It's most definitely a personal choice but do your back a favor. Make a mock up of your oven floor and your outer arch, then simulate reaching into the 'oven' to build a fire and use a broom handle to place and tend to 'pizzas'.

I'm 6 feet and my oven floor is 48.5 inches from the ground.
                            I'd second this. I built mine with 5 courses of block, 4"slab on top, 2" of perlcrete, 2 inch casi board and the 2.5 inch oven floor on top of that. I'm 6' tall and its a pretty good height for me. I didn't want to have to bend over constantly while cooking. I'll have to put a tape measure to it but I think my final height is just about 48.5 as well. Which mind you is about 8 inches higher than the standard. I think maybe 2 inches shorter than what I built would have been absolutely perfect, but it's damn close.

36 seems really low.
                            Last edited by Grahamstein; 08-02-2020, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks. 36 is standard height for a kitchen oven. That's where I got that idea from.

I'm going to add a 4th layer of block.

Comment

Working...
                              X