Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kvanbael View Post
    Here is something that took me a while to realize: About IT and pencil:

no matter at what weird angle you fix a pencil to your IT, ... as long as it is fixed, it will make circles with the pivot as center. So while tracing the inner dome cut lines on dry-stacked arch bricks, I would just hand-hold a pencil to my it, and regularly change position for easier drawing. I just had to check inner dome radius based on some reference points.
    This is exactly where I landed. I took some photos to illustrate the process I'll post in it's own thread in the future.

Comment

OK. New problem. Again, I'm an idiot. I tried to squeeze the final arch block in with my dead blow hammer and this happened. It pushed the arch support bricks out which looks like it bent my arch out. My ego will recover. My entire dome/oven will be enclosed in a "doghouse", so my question is how do I reinforce the arch supports so it holds with no issue? Or do I need to start from scratch here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210514_204443.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	438073 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210514_204452.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	438069 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210514_204459.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	438071
      Attached Files

Comment

Are there any cracks in the mortar or do the sides only lean out?

Comment

Originally posted by Petter View Post
          Are there any cracks in the mortar or do the sides only lean out?
          Only where the outer arch joins the inner arch. Any ideas for buttressing the outer arch? Is it necessary? The only additional load on the outer arch will be my duravent vent stack that will be about 12 feet above the top of the fireplace and the masonry required to make a flat surface for the vent stack anchor plate.

Name:	20210514_204715.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	438080

Comment

(Sorry for you) I would: If it is still fresh, clean the bricks and re-do the arc and sides. Skip mortaring it to the dome. Leave 5-10 mm expansion gap for the dome and gallery to move independently if eachother.

​​​​​​Even if it might work anyway, it is worth it for the good night sleep.
            Last edited by Petter; 05-15-2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

(Sorry for you) I would: If it is still fresh, clean the bricks and re-do the arc and sides. Skip mortaring it to the dome. Leave 5-10 mm expansion gap for the dome and gallery to move independently if eachother.

​​​​​​Even if it might work anyway, it is worth it for the good night sleep.
              If I leave a gap there, then does that allow smoke to enter the doghouse portion or will 100% of the smoke go through the vent built into the outer arch?

Comment

It is common to use ceramic rope for sealing due to that reason.

Comment

It is common to use ceramic rope for sealing due to that reason.
                  Thank you. I'll buy some. Can you find that at Lowes/Home Depot? Or do I need to get it online?

Comment

Welcome, Since the sides started to lean outwards, there is a great risk that the bottom mortar joint has failed. So it's better to re-do it. Sorry, I live in Sweden and have no idéa if they are sold there. It may be called glass fiber rope. It is used to seal stove doors for example. try to get some 3/8-1/2" thick.

Comment

It looks like this:

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-17-2021, 05:01 AM. Reason: Removed direct commercial link

Comment

Name:	_20210517_211308.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	438179 Ahh, sorry. I forgot.

Comment

Working...
                        X