My turn...finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My turn...finally

Finally a nice day...Got up early and spent about two hours before work, almost got the 5th course done and should be able to finish it tonight...then I get to start on the dreaded transition. I have looked at a bunch and I definately feel confident. Pictures to follow at some point

Peter
    Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Here are some pictures of the progress and the transition...went for the quick and fairly simple but is seems as if it will work out fine. Plus it will help me bring the left side in a little, it seems to have wandered a bit and I would assume it is my fault. 5th done and 6th started plus bricks cut for the rest of the 6th. It got really hot today

Peter
      Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Nice cut on the brick. I did one like that, only yours looks a lot better. This coming up week is forecasted to be great! No rain,cool temps, and sunny. I had the family over for a pizza party yesterday to celebrate my father-in-law's 70 birthday. It got a bit hot, but went well. Looks like you have nice shade in your location...that's good.
        My Build Thread

Comment

Thanks for the compliment I actually butchered a brick first and had to do it over.. I will have to make some height adjustments along that brick but I figured it would be easier than making a whole bunch of cuts. The area is nice and shady in the early to middle of the day but gets direct sun in the afternoon. Some days hot is hot. I cant wait for the cooler weather..I am planning on taking a day or two off this week.

Peter
          Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Had a little time this afternoon so I began work on these two beauties...I'll fill in between with a thin brick and should be back in line then for the next course.I did cheat the left side in a little to make up for that unexplained gap again though I will be back in line on the next course so I am not too worried about it. More to be done tomorrow I am NOT going to work

Peter
            Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Evening all... 6th course is done, 7th is started and all the bricks for 7th cut...However...I need to join the "dip at the arch resulting in an egg shape" support group!! Yes I have the dreaded dip..My quest to use the notched bricks (see above) has led to this unfortunate state..I do believe that with clean living and hard work I can overcome this situation and straighten myself out in the next row.. Oh and I did end up going to work for a few hours, another addiction I need help with

Peter
              Last edited by KraemerBAC; 07-03-2010, 07:17 PM.
              Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Happy 4th everyone...Have a safe and productive weekend

Peter
                Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

I got the 7th course finished today and began the fix for the "dip" I am pretty sure I have a workable and sensible solution..Pics to follow possibly tomorrow. I did find a new use for type N mortar: Because it is 50% lime I am hoping it will cover up the rotting racoon odor that is drifting up the hill. I moved the carcass all the way down the hill ( wearing a respirator ) doused it liberally with the afore mentioned type N and covered it with dirt. Good times!!!

Peter
                  Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Looking very good with your excellent cuts. You can always start contracting out on the carcass disposal with your newfound skills.
                    Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Peter

Its a shame that you have to pratice on your oven so much that you ruin some bricks in the process. Tell you what, I am willing to help you overcome that problem. Come to my house and you can practice on my oven.
                      I really hate to compare my oven to all of yours here on this forum. At this point I am just hoping that my oven doesn't cave in once its done!
                      Great job.

Gary

Comment

Gary,

Next time in Houston I am your guy....although you may be finished by then. I am hoping to be done soon. I have seen your pictures and don't believe you have anything to worry about. Hope you had an enjoyable holiday

Peter
                        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Not alot of progress today but good progress..Got the "dip" taken care of, set the first brick in row 8 and got the rest of row 8 cut. I have decided to stay with 1/2 bricks through row 8 and see what happens when I get to 9...It seems like most of you have gone to thirds at row 9 and who am I to reinvent the wheel....Here are some pics for you

Peter
                          Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Row 8 done,

row 9 started...I should be able to get it cut and finished tomorrow. I have decided to go to third bricks which seem to work well

Peter
                            Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Row 10 is finished....again used third bricks I will start row 11 in the morning using 1/4 bricks and should be able to get row 12 in tomorrow afternoon. It has been blazing hot which has actually worked to my advantage, helping the almost vertical bricks set up a little quicker. I plan on either row 13 & keystone or just keystone by Sunday afternoon. Then some interior patching and an outer arch. I have my fingers crossed that I will be starting curing fires by the end of the week

Peter
                              Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

I see one major problem with your build. It may be un-repairable.

Is that water in your hand?! Sir, with all due respect, it requires Beer to build an oven!

Comment

Working...
                                X