My turn...finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My turn...finally

Looks like you're off to a good start Peter. My oven became an obsession as that is all I could think about all day long. You'll be making many pizzas before you know it.
    My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      Looks like you're off to a good start Peter. My oven became an obsession as that is all I could think about all day long. You'll be making many pizzas before you know it.
      Before I go to bed I plan the needed activities for the next day. I have a vacation break planned for July 19th - Aug. 4th, which would be a great time for the dome curing to take place. I need to put in a string of fulls days...
      My Build Thread

Comment

Good evening all,

Well I got the sand finished..Hand tamping is not for the faint of heart! I now have forearms that look like Popeyes and some sore elbow tendons as well. I will have the form boards cut and the rebar cut and bent tonight so I should be able to finish all that tomorrow night. Yesterday I picked up the rest of my bricks, some residual mortar but old and crumbly..rub two bricks together and voila... no more mortar. I am getting antsy to get building! Soon my pretty, soon!!

Peter
        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

OK I've got the fever.. I did some rebar work last night at about 11:15 under the soft glow of a couple of TIKI torches......My wife believes I have lost my mind or at least what was left of it..

Peter
          Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Peter,
            New projects like yours springing up all the time. I am still curing and I started last fall. I have read many 'threads' about people who have built over the past couple of years. Tell your wife there are many other 'crazy' men and women all over the world... it's just a fun project (with a few challenges along the way)

Good luck and post lots of pics.

Lars.
            This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Got a fair amount done yesterday, ran out of rebar and got sidetracked by a "yard sale" my wife and her friends decided to have today...Lots of running, mostly by me. Once I finish the framing, hopefully tomorrow, I need to bust up and frame a couple of sidewalk squares. I will have concrete left over from the foundation pour and they need to be fixed anyway. The guy from the city was shocked when I told him I was doing it and they had not sent me a letter. I called to check on required thickness etc.. Bit by bit I am moving forward. Thats my youngest..I suppose we all need our own Vanna White

Peter
              Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Woke up today and it was raining...not good..my concrete was scheduled for 3pm today!!! Rain stopped and the sun began to shine right about noon and the concrete is poured and handprints are in.... 3-5 days and I can start on my stand, now I just have to move all of those blocks.

I had a few overhead wires to contend with so the truck could get close enough.

Peter
                Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

The forms and concrete look very good. I waited a week and misted the concrete each day and covered it back up again. I found I got acute carpal tunnel in my left hand and wrist from working with all the concrete and blocks and the numbness is just now getting better. Be sure to wear gloves and don't over do it. It's hard though when you have all the materials in front of you and you're ready to go!

Do you plan on mortaring the blocks or dry stacking them?
                  My Build Thread

Comment

Timo,

Glad to hear you have recovered and thanks for the compliments.. I know the carpal tunnel feeling all to well, occupational hazard. I found some cool lightweight gloves designed for light masonary work at Menards and have been using them. I am going to dry stack the blocks and I started moving them and working on the layout tonight. I am 4 days into the "cure" and will probably begin setting up the first course tommorrow evening. I set a couple of blocks into place tonight to show my wife the opening and dry stacked a couple of face bricks for her to see. I have already begun landscaping around the oven, I needed something to do while I was waiting! The forms will probably stay in place for a few more days though. I am hoping that my slab is fairly level so I don't
                    need to spend a whole lot of time on the first course. I'll post more pictures soon

Peter
                    Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

I am sure this rant is somewher on the forum, or at least parts of it... So it seems that my random collection method of gathering cinder blocks may not have been the best idea, apparently cinder block "A" may not be exactly the same size as cinder block "B" and despite being level they like to rock on the uneven lip created between the two... Grinder, shims or mortar haven't decided yet.

Half blocks are not exactly half and some seem to be taller than their full size brothers... some don't... Hmmmn interesting and oh so annoying.

At any rate, I am almost done with the third course; I possibly would have been done if I hadn't had to swap blocks in and out for the best fit; couldn't find the camera anywhere so I will get some pictures and post later..

Thanks for listening,

Peter
                      Last edited by KraemerBAC; 07-16-2009, 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling
                      Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Yeah, I did the used and mismatched concrete block number: some had two holes, some three. Sometimes free is too expensive. Happily, you can pile up mortar surprisingly high. I had some used fiberglass insulation around, and stuffed it in the cavities to prevent the mortar from dropping down the holes. What a mess.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The stand is up, the front cores are filled and some of the rebar is in. A little mor rebar and some framing and I should be able to pour the top this week...depends on my work schedule. I am slowely moving forward. I will have some new photos to post tomorrow, it got dark on me tonight..

Peter
                          Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Finally...I am back!! Got back from vacation and haven't had a day off since, untill today...18 days straight. Finished the rebar got the framing done and poured the top to the stand. A few days and insulated layer and I should be off to the races. I got my ceramic blanket, thank you UPS, on thursday I am back into hunter gatherer mode so once the layers are done I can begin. Just need to secure a saw now...

Peter
                            Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

The top is cured, the portland vemiculite is portioned out in 5 gal. buckets and the form is set. Now I just need to get home from work before dark one day and I can move on to the next step and possibly take some pictures.

Peter
                              Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

You must fulfill that wich you promise- The pics!
                                I am starting my dome beginning of next week. Days are only getter shorter now so you better get back from work to get to work!
                                Darius

Comment

Working...
                                X