X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hearth Design Philosophy

Originally posted by Cappa View Post
    Hi,

Looking to get some advice on the Hearth design in particular the insulation medium. I have purchased Vermiculite to blend at the suggested ratio of 5:1 with portland cement. Is the insulation cement strong enough to place the floor and dome directly on top of or is there an extra layer required to provide stiffness?
    Yes, it is more than strong enough to support your dome. You do not want your dome on up insulated material as the heat will get "sucked" out -that is a highly technical term ya know.

Chris
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Originally posted by h12rpo View Post
      Someone has said have the floor 'floating' what exactly does that mean? I was intending to bed mine down using a quite wet mix of homebrew
      ( i intend to have my floor inside the soldier first chain).
      A floating floor is free to move with heating and cooling. Please do not bed your bricks and make sure there is a gap between the floor and dome (about the thickness of corrugated cardboard) to allow expansion of the floor outward without damaging the dome.
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Door shape: Is there and advantage of the rounded doors? My house has straight lines and I am thinking of a rectangle door. Is this going to be a problem? 47 inch oven with16 inch dome height and 10 inch high by 20 inch door.

Comment

I have seen glass bottles with perlite/vermiculite used for cob type pizza ovens. Anyone have any opinions on using glass bottles with a p/vcrete mix?

Comment

Working...
          X