Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Door Material

Originally posted by PerryPizza View Post
    ... I don't know if constantly soaking/ drying timber is a good idea though. ...
    neither is using it to hold in extremely high heat...

fwiw, I intend to do the same thing. Even if I have to replace the door every season or two, it makes more sense to me than going high-tech.
    Last edited by cynon767; 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM.
    -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Unless the door goes up in smoke, which seems unlikely, I think the door should last as long as the oven... I don't see any problem with woodworm, and a good bit of char should prove an excellent wood-preserver
      My rustic oven;
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
      sigpic

Comment

my first door went up in smoke !!!! BUT it was just plywood with one sheet of Lt, gauge metal and I probably put it on while the oven was too hot, I wanted to see how hot it would hold overnight,,, In the morning there was a pile of ashes, It did provide me with a good laugh and a good lesson

Comment

Glad you laughed, it's the best policy in a situation like that!
          My rustic oven;
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...oven-6770.html
          sigpic

Comment

Actually, that made me laugh as I could picture it happening to me.

I was thinking of using 1x6 and 2x6 red cedar, laying it 90 degrees to each other with screws as well. This will give me a door over 2" thick and cedar soaks well.

Comment

Hey,, it was funny,, thank god the oven is away from the house,,, I can still picture it just burning up in the middle of the night all by itself and no one noticing....

I thought I had taken pics but I cant find them, It was a cute little pile of ashes,,,,,,,

Enjoy
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Spunkoid View Post
                I was thinking of using 1x6 and 2x6 red cedar, laying it 90 degrees to each other with screws as well. This will give me a door over 2" thick and cedar soaks well.
                My only concern here is the red cedar, I have a bunch and it was suggested, and I think I agree that it is a smelly oily wood, I dont know if you would want any of the fumes/steam coming from the door into the oven, Maybe if you used the cedar on the outside ?

Mark

Comment

my oven door is cut out of dimondplate steel added 2 spring handles for wood stove and added a damper never hot on the handles. Click image for larger version

Name:	chimminy 075.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	987.1 KB
ID:	276929

Comment

Working...
                  X