X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gdest
    replied
    Re: One small step for Pizza

For all of you that suggested that I keep the tree, that was one option that I felt was not prudent. As a reminder, I get home only about every other weekend, and although my Optimism says I can get this thing build within 3-4 months after I start, I really think that it will take about 1 year from start to finish. And that does not include the time I would need to split and stack the wood.
    However good thoughts from all.
    Currently I hope to at least break ground for the foundation in about 3 weeks!
    Got to convince my son to get his friends involved!!!

Leave a comment:

• GotRocks
    replied

Hopefully that 60' tree you had to remove is a decent hardwood variety suitable for using as fuel-wood for your oven.

I am going the easier route, I am buying a ready-to-fire fully assembled commercial unit to be delivered, installed, and burning by June 1 of this year.

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Buy more beer!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

Save the felled tree, don't discard it. Burn it next year.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by dusty View Post
    That sounds about right. On to phase three!
    As for #17, you'll be amazed at how many friends you have when those pizzas start rolling out!

Great start.

dusty

I will add to this - toss 3a & 6a, buy the beer for yourself and build the thing. At the end of the day - it's the path of least resistance.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

That sounds about right. On to phase three!
    As for #17, you'll be amazed at how many friends you have when those pizzas start rolling out!

Great start.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Hi all

Just an update. As I stated at the start of this thread, I contracted to have a tree removed. Well it looks like phase 2 of the build is completed. I have been asked by a number of my friends and family what was phase 1? Well let me outline the phases of the build to you all. Any additions, corrections or general comments are welcomed:

1. Decide to build a outdoor pizza/bread oven
    2. Cut down tree and grind out the stump
    3. Develope the oven plans.
    a. Get contractual commitments from son and friends to provide labor for the following phases.
    4. Dig foundation
    5. Form up the foundation and pour concrete
    6. Build platform
    a. Buy more beer for son and friends in order to convince them to honor their commitments.7. Form up for the 4" thick hearth
    8. Pour hearth
    9. Form up for the perlite concrete
    a. Threaten son and friends with legal action to get them back to work10. Pour the perlite concrete
    11. Apply firebrick paste and Layout the floor brick
    12. Build the oven
    13. Apply oven insulation
    14. Apply perlite concrete over oven insulation
    15. Apply stucco over the oven perlite concrete
    16. Adopt a new son and get new friends17.
    17. Apply finishing touches to the base and oven.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Sounds good! I just brought down a 25 ft palm tree over the weekend where my oven will be located.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Sounds bold to me!
    You have to start somewhere. You'll be baking pizza before you know it!

dusty

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    started a topic One small step for Pizza

One small step for Pizza

Just to let everyone know, I have decided on the area where the pizza oven will go and even more importantally contracted to have the 60' tree that currently occupies that space to be removed.

Now I have to draw up the plans......they keep changing as long as they are in my head!
Working...
X