• gdest
    replied
    Re: Still posting photos

There has to be an easier way

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied
    Re: One small step for Pizza

I think I am doing something wrong with trying to post these photos!!

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

[QUOTE=gdest;87524]Ok!!! Four weekends in a row I've been able to come home. Got the hearth poured out today!! Thank God for my son and his friend Branden.

Now can anyone tell me how to post my photos?[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Ok!!! Four weekends in a row I've been able to come home. Got the hearth poured out today!! Thank God for my son and his friend Branden.

Now can anyone tell me how to post my photos?

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Boy it's amazing how much work can be accomplished when you are home every weekend! I was home AGIAN this past weekend and completed building up the block riser, got the rebar cut and shaped AND the supports and outer frame built and ready for the hearth slab pour!
    I am going to be home AGAIN this comming weekend and will plan on pouring for the hearth!
    Photos will be posted soon.......I hope.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Well I have finally gone from a hole in the ground to a launch pad!
    This weekend I plan on building the block stand. I hope to be able to post some photos soon for the build, but I havn't investagated that much yet on how to do that. Besides, I don't think anyone is that intrested in seeing just the hole and now the foundation pad.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

That sounds like the length of time it'll take me to complete my oven too...

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Just an update

Finished the foundation hole last weekend and installed the wire mesh and rebar for the footer.
    I plan on comming home again for this Easter weekend and I hope to be able to pour out the foundation on Saturday.
    At the rate I'm going I think I'll be able to cook my 1st pizza in about 1 1/2 years!

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

UPDATE!!
    Ok for all of you who laughed at me for suggesting that you don't keep accurate records as to the cost of your WFO build, here is proof that I was correct all along!
    As I stated earlier, I let my lawn guy earn some extra money and let him (and my wife told me his wife and kids) dig out for the foundation. Well I got a call yesterday from my wife and told me the area that I picked (actually she picked) for the WFO has a sprinkler head right in the middle of the foundation!
    The lawn guy and his crew went ahead and finished up the digging, I am told so now I am faced with the following options:
    1. Fill in the hole and move the location
    2. Reroute the sprinkler head
    3. Cap it off and proceed.
    I am inclinde to pick option 3 since I believe where this head is located it only watered the area footprint where the oven is going.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Thanks for the advice, but there is also one thing I failed to mention. I won't be ready to use this perlite for at least a couple of months!! Well there goes the storage in the shed and garage.
    The good news is that I plan on pouring the foundation in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

That's great. Nevertheless, be real gentle mixing it with the portland and subsequently mixing it with water. The perlite I have worked with has disintegrated into dust with all but the absolute minimum of "working". I liked vermiculite better frankly. Seemed much more robust. I realize it has a lower insulative value, but it didn't virtually vaporize on me.

Good luck, be gentle with it.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Just got a call from one of my subcontractors (a real one) that I have used in the past on some of my construction projects. Long story short, he will be mobilizing for a project in the area, and he agreed to give me two bags of Cryolite. For everyones information Cryolite is a trade name a "special" perlite. This is "cracked" or "popped" in a special designed furnace that offers a final product that is about 50% larger then normal perlite but structurally as strong and stable as the normaly perlite. The advantage of this is that the thermal properities are about 20% better! This why I plan on doing perlite concrete rather then the insulation board.
    Any comments?

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

Tell your wife (and yourself) it is great exercise. And save your money for beer.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Ok here is an update on my build.
    I was home this past weekend and as I told everyone in the previous post, my Pime Subcontractor went sking this weekend. But what really hurt was the phone call I got from him Saturday morning and I quote "Hey Dad hows the digging comming along".

Well after laying everything out and I started digging for the foundation, my wife reminded me of a couple of very important facts:
    1. Your to old and out of shape to be doing this by yourself.
    2. You make enough money to hire someone to dig this out.

Although I disagreed with both of those statements, I decided to let someone less forturnate then myself earn some money and asked my lawn guy to dig out the foundation. So I am hoping the next time I get home I will be able to lay down some rock and reinforment and pour out the foundation.

And my Prime Subcontract better be ready!!!

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Ok I hit the first major stumbing block for my WFO build! My PRIME CONTRACTOR who was going to break ground for the foundation has decided to go sking that weekend!.
    I am wondering if phase 16 needs to be moved up to phase 3?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X