X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petraequipments
    replied
    Re: One small step for Pizza

This is really nice thread having very good discussions going on. I got really useful info from here. Thank you all from such a nice insight.

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

Gary,

Hang in there! I had multiple things come up which my oven has taken me now 5 years to get to this point. I made a decision a few weeks ago just to do one thing a day (except for Sunday's). You can check my post out in the pompeii section.

One of the things that held me up is the excessive heat in the summers down here. It kills the mortar (I used to train concrete guys and taught them how to compensate for temperature in decorative concrete overlays.) Fall and spring are really short - about 6 weeks, so I have got to move as when the overnight temps hit 40, cement does not cure properly.

Anyhow, keep your chin up and watch out for Murphy - looks like he visited once already!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Since moving back home the oven build has gotten worse not better! Two weedends in a row with no work. Two weeks ago was spent in Pgh for a mini vacation to interduce my son's bride to be to the extended family. Came back with a BAD HEAD COLD and didn't work on it this past weekend either!
    I so envy all of you that have been able to keep focused on your builds more then I have been able to. Well there's always next weekend.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Just can't get over looking at the arch! No excess mortar and it is self supporting too! What a vision.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Ok as promised, here are the latest pics.
    I still think its shaped like a heart and not a lemon. What do you think?

As you can see I gave up on my indenspensible tool. As I said before, it has taken me so long to build this thing, it wasn't holding up....hence the shape. I don't think the beach ball will be of use after this chain either.

The biggest hurdle of crossing over the inner arch is done!!! I think I will be able to get it rounded up in the next two chains. Next weekend is an off weekend. Going to Pittsburgh to visit family and introduce the future daughter-in-law to the rest of the family.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

I will be posting pic's tonight during MY WIFE'S favorite show...Dancing with the Stars! Gawd I hate that show!

Anyway I was finally able to cross over the inner arch. Looking down I don't have a perfect circle! I told a friend that its in the shape of a heart. This is due to all the love I've put into this build.

My friend on the other hand climbed up and took a look and stated that it was more in the shape of a lemon!

Gary

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Not a bad weekend. Just for those who don't know what I consider a weekend is, it is Saturday only. So with that said, I was able to finish the outer arch, and I am only about 1 or 2 bricks shy from crossing over the inner arch with the dome.
    This is not pretty! I just hope all the motar I use to do this cross over holds. I am envious of all of you who were able to do this much more elegantly, but it is getting done.
    I will be posting a couple of pics later.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

I've been contacted by the Guiness Book of World Records!! I'm being listed as the slowest pizza oven builder.
    Trying to get across that arch is painfull as I said before. Well I'm still hoping to get this thing done before the end of the year.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Ok I have a minute here. Time to post some of my lastest pics. These were from last weekend.
    As you can all see I am comming across the inner arch. What a pain!
    I will not be making any progress this weekend since my wife has decided to make me take some time off and take her off to the hill country this weekend.
    Well it looks like another one who will be banned from getting a pizza

Gary

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Thanks Dino, you've been helpful. You can raise your status from helpful to EXTREMELY HELPFUL if you would just visit Houston for a day or two!

This past weekend WAS going to be very productive, but my wife had other plans for me. Not in a good way. Well there is always next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

That ceramic blanket looks like the good stuff: 8lbs per sqft and up to 1832 deg F.

You're almost closed up, it's looking good, don't worry about it being messy. It's hard to clean as you go. It all cooks the same in the end.

-dino

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Its been a while since I posted anything here. I have some updated photos. I am still making SLOW progress on the dome. As you will all see I am going to be face with a lot of cleanup on the inside. I have also been able to set two of the bricks for the vent.

Got a question for you guys. Someone sent me this link for insulation. The pricing looks good and I am wondering if anyone has any opinion on this?

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store, Buy a lot, pay less

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

WOW I thought is would be easier once I completed the project in Chicago and would be able to stay at home (The Woodlands, Tx) (Houston). Since I've been back, the temp has been in the upper 90's and 100's, and on the one weekend that was fairly nice, I made some progress but ran out of mortar!!!
    I am hoping to make some good progress this weekend comming.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Hey, no worries. We all need to take it easy during these hot months and take it slow.
    After my curing fires were completed I put the external finishing touches aside and basically have been using the oven instead. Who knows, from this point I may take a year to finish it. It's funny how we operate at 110% for most of the build and towards the end we tend to slack off and operate at 10% our capacity.

George

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

I have to apoligize to all for not being as diligent as the rest of you posting your pics of your builds, but to be honest, I do have an/many excuses:

1. It is so friggin hot and humid in Texas I don't have the energy to take the time to download the pic's

2. When I decided to do this build, I wanted it to be a father son project. When the project started my son did the following:
    a. Went sking in Colorado on the weekends I was home
    b. After ski season, took up fly fishing
    c. After fishing he got engaged!

3. After looking at some you the builds out there I am a little intimated to publish my pic's and have them compared to yours.

For those of you who still can't wait to see my latest, I promise that I will post the next time I get home.

By the way, I am about 85% completed with the 7th chain and have 1 brick installed on the 8th chain,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X