X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gdest
    replied
    Re: One small step for Pizza

Thanks to Dmun I was able to download a windows program that enabled me to reduce the file size of my photo's so now I can post some.

These give you the outside view of the closed in oven.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

I just realized that the pic files are to large so NOW I will have to see/learn how to reduce the file size.
    If you use windows, a small free program called irfanview has one button half-sizing of pictures.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

You know Dino when I compare the pic's from my build to the pic's from your build it remindes me what I tell everyone about my construction experience. I am very truthful when I say that in my 30+ years in the industry I have never made a mistake, however I cannot tell you how many things I would never ever do a second time!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Keep trying to post those pics Gary. We're all glad you got this far and want to enjoy it with you.
    Good luck, Dino

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

I've been trying to post some photo's for the last couple of days without any sucess
    I just realized that the pic files are to large so NOW I will have to see/learn how to reduce the file size. Until then you guys got to believe me, curing fires have started!
    I hope to be able to have some wedding pizza when I get back in October.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Well my son came over the house yesterday and cleaned out the inside of the oven and was going to start the 1st curing fire!!
    I again asked my wife to take some pic's of the oven so I can post them but after only 35 years of marrage I still can't tell her what to do!
    I still hope to be able to get some pic's to post soon.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

I came back for my 2nd R&R and had plans on working on my WFO. My first R&R was consumed for taxes. Well my 2nd R&R started out to be as unproductive as my 1st one.
    Everyone decided that we need to have a BBQ the 1st weekend back. So that took care of any work planned on the WFO for that weekend.
    I was able to start work on my masterpiece on Tuesday (I know but jetlag is a b***h.)
    What happened next was such a shock and disaster that it took a lot of wind out of my sales! The chain that I completed months earlier came down! The motar never set up correctly.
    I cleaned up all the brick and reinstalled them on Thursday. (Jet lag still setting in). Friday more family time and the weekend another party.
    Well got back to work on the following week and got it all bricked in (dome) and installed the chimmey!! Got washed up and flew back to Saudi Arabia.
    I have asked my son to get some curing fires going and hope to be able to insulate and stucco it before the time of my next R&R.
    I asked the wife to take some pics so I can post them for you all to see.
    I still think I should not only get an award for the slowest pizza oven build but one for being the most presistant

Gary

Leave a comment:

• mn8tr
    replied

(Got to convince my son to get his friends involved!!!)

'He who will not work, let him not eat.'

Good luck with that one but you can try...

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

So Gary, when you come back for 'R&R' you'll be working away at the oven . Way to go. I loved every minute (mostly) of my build so I can imagine how hard it is to turn it into an occasional project. But, you are close. Your arch looks fine and if you close it up, you can let dry out well before curing it.

We expect you to make up for stretching out your build by studiously posting more pics of your progress .

Lot's of luck oversees, and l look forward to the 1st fires and 1st pizza pics, whenever that comes,

Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

To all, thanks for the well wishes, but I do plan on keeping this thread alive, at least I can get the dome capped off and my curring fires started. I know I'm better at posting with my words and not so good with the photos, but I will have some shortly....I hope.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by gdest View Post
    Well all, it seems that I will be slowing up even more on my build. This past weekend I attended a meeting in Cairo and just got back. I am now taking an assignment in Saudi.....so that means back to working on the oven only when I come back on my R&R's.
    I am so close to closing out the dome too! Hopfully I'll complete the dome before I leave and just finish the insulation and stucco when I come back.

Gary
    Gary, I just found your thread this morning and enjoyed every post. Your ventures serve to remind me that you and I have a lot in common: We're both human

Dreams keep us going in this life. You are fortunate to have a dream to keep your mind occupied in those hours, days and months in Saudi. I've been assigned overseas for months and years during my 27 years in the US Air Force, and those dreams of home helped me keep sane, even decide who I am and what I wanted to do when I got home. So, godspeed Gary!

P.S. your sketchups are invaluable as I plan ahead for my oven build. Do you have any more sketchups? If you do, start another thread and post them all there, they are a fabulous aid in visualizing what needs to be done.
    Last edited by Lburou; 01-30-2011, 09:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mn8tr
    replied

Funny stuff and sadly most of it is true, haha. Have fun with you build.

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

Well all, it seems that I will be slowing up even more on my build. This past weekend I attended a meeting in Cairo and just got back. I am now taking an assignment in Saudi.....so that means back to working on the oven only when I come back on my R&R's.
    I am so close to closing out the dome too! Hopfully I'll complete the dome before I leave and just finish the insulation and stucco when I come back.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

To all of you that are complaining about cracks/roundness and other minor imperfections on your oven builds, reminds me of a time a few years ago I was golfing with some clients.
    As we approached the island hole after all of our tee shots, the 3 people I was golfing with were having a discussion. One was stating that he thought that the green was 85 yards out, the other was saying that he thought it was closed to 87 yards, and the 3rd had the strong notion that it was only 83 yards out.
    I then walked up to them at told them that all three were getting me very pissed off! Here you are arguring about 4 or 5 yards and all I want to know is in which direction I have to hit my ball!!!

I say this as I look at my build (or lack of it) and all of its imperfections as tell all of you, don't sweat the small stuff.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

For all of you that have been following my buid, if you can remember the time line that I posted at the beginning of my build. I've just had to revise it a bit. Step number 16 is now ahead of step number 12.

This past weekend wasn't to bad. I'm closing in the dome, slowly but surly. It still isn't pretty over the inner arch, but I think it will be ok once I close this chain out. Again, I will post some new pic's later. I think after thanksgiving.

Gary

Leave a comment:

Working...
X