Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • irelande5
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Nice build, look out Buckeyes are starting to build too!

    Leave a comment:


  • ATK406
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Originally posted by Capt View Post
    However, when we use the charcoal grill, we will fire the wood in the oven, then shovel the coals into the grill. So the wood use was between both the grill and oven.
    Nice job! I am also in Michigan and I am also thinking about building a charcoal grill on the side of my oven. How is that working for you? I've been concerned about transferring the coals from the oven to the cold grill. Is there too much heat loss to the cold bricks? Would you do anything differently if you were to do it again? I'm planning to make concrete counter tops so I don't want to build a fire in the grill (unless I have to).

    Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing your build.

    Regards,
    AT

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Nice build.



    Did you insulate the oven, I cant tell from the pics, if not that would account for using lots of firewood.
    Yes, it is insulated with vermiculite.

    However, when we use the charcoal grill, we will fire the wood in the oven, then shovel the coals into the grill. So the wood use was between both the grill and oven.

    Leave a comment:


  • brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Nice build.

    Originally posted by Capt View Post
    I've already used a facecord in my in the last month.
    Did you insulate the oven, I cant tell from the pics, if not that would account for using lots of firewood.

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Some final touches have been added to the oven, I just need to get the doors built, and finish the stainless grate for the grill.

    The shield has arrived:


    Action shot:


    Slingin' some pies:


    Almost ready:

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Originally posted by mfiore View Post
    Looks Great! Where in Michigan are you? We should have a Michigan WFO symposium!
    In Oakland County, Commerce Twp.

    Leave a comment:


  • mfiore
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Looks Great! Where in Michigan are you? We should have a Michigan WFO symposium!

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Originally posted by ironpony View Post
    hey capt I reconize your build from hearth.com nice job
    Thanks man! I can't wait to see the pies coming out of yours! Just don;t use all your firewood for the oven. lol

    I've already used a facecord in my in the last month.

    Leave a comment:


  • ironpony
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    hey capt I reconize your build from hearth.com nice job

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Nice brickwork and oven, holy #@$ that is alot of wood.
    We also heat our house strictly with wood, hence why I decided to double the storage space. lol

    Leave a comment:


  • UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Nice brickwork and oven, holy #@$ that is alot of wood.

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    I know the opening height looks too high, but we are putting 6 inch stamped concrete on top of the existing slab, so it will bring the height up proper.

    First thin crust outta the oven:


    I should have enough wood to fire a few pies.


    Thanks for looking, I really learned a lot from this site prior to my build. If anyone has any questions regarding my build, please feel free to ask. And to the SE Mighigan peeps, if you need a list of material suppliers, I will be more than happy to share!

    Ryan

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Caps are finished:


    Nightime pic from my roof, before the acid wash:


    My cousin powerwashing the acid off:


    One of my Pointer pups Waylon, guarding the oven:

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    Dome parged with refractory mortar, 2-2.5 inches thick:


    Scaffold set up, ready to take it to the sky! BTW, I am not in any of the pics. lol


    Small curing fire, before the caps are poured:


    Caps formed, ready to pour:

    Leave a comment:


  • Capt
    replied
    Re: Guess What? ANOTHER Michigan build!

    My cousin thought I should use my spare work helmet for a cap:


    Transitioning to the red brick:


    Arch formed and drying:


    Building up the brick around the arch, and finishing the firebrick hearth:

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X