2G90 / wet polished concrete counter and brick in Temecula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2G90 / wet polished concrete counter and brick in Temecula

I started this build on the wrong page. So I think now that I figured out this forum a little better I am adding it in the right spot, for others hopefully to benefit from.
    This is Days 1-4 of a Pizza Oven I built for my little brother in Temecula. We have it located on the outside edge of a wood patio cover and the predominant wind blows towards the mouth of the oven and creates good draw up and away from their seating area and hopefully high enough so as not to cause a fuss with the neighbor.

I want to say this tactfully. I am super impressed with some of the elaborate finish work that has been done and also complicated building of the Pompeii ovens brick by brick often times by homeowner types with limited skills in masonry. I have seen some really nice builds. One thing I have noticed lacking on some builds is a real good footing to start.

My suggestion; 12 inch deep footing #4 rebar 24 inches on center tied in a grid with rebar wire, elevated on 3 inch concrete block "dobbies"
    2,500 psi or greater concrete and rebar uprights also # 4 rebar 16-inches on center going from footing all the way thru block and then bent into counter top. The footing width should mimic the upper portion of build with countertops and be at least an additional 6 inches wide on all sides. (my humble minimum suggestions, I am not an engineer but I am a mason)

Again some of the builds...super cool some of the footings not so cool set on 4 or 6 inch slabs. The cost and labor are slightly more but you are never going to have to worry about it shifting or failing down the road.

Day 5 , I think this build was about 1.5 years ago
    all grouted and ready to cure over the weekend before i start drilling into it for the countertop construction.

Comment

Week # 2 Forming, and steel tying

Comment

Poured concrete, and vibrated concrete which can be done also by just taping the edge of form board or using a small electric vibrating sander inside a plastic bag on the edge of the form to vibrate the edge and reduce voids so that you do not end up with holes on the edges once form is poured.

Comment

Poured out and tooled counter top

Comment

Date shows March 3 2015 so at this point i was into too week 3 working a few long days and mostly 4 day work weeks. This sand course is supper important so that your pizza peel doesn't hit the fire brick edges where they meet up in the middle of the oven

Comment

March 4th end of day used a 2x4 brace to keep the pieces together and apply grout without anything moving

Comment

March 8-11th touches, starting to get tired of driving 3 hours a day back and forth from Temecula to San Clemente but happy to be getting close.
                Keeping it all wet, including dome and counter top. Misting of areas 2- times a day while I am working.

Comment

March 11-16 Brick work and stucco

Comment

March 17. Installed foam, (that stuff is horrible wear a gas mask and long sleeves) diamond lath and used Eisenwall high strength concrete for plastering with provided additive to slow its time drying. Great product much stronger than standard plaster

Comment

Last day I showed record of being here.(March 24, 2015) Counter top already sealed dome stucco complete. I have learned from my own oven that you may need to spend 1 day re stuccoing after 3-4 years on the dome only to fill cracks and make it look fresh again.
                      Still waiting to this day for an invite for pizza? Ryan if you see this post, I am ready for pizza, beer, and a pool party.

Comment

Very nice work!! Those counters look great!

Comment

Can you give some more information on your countertops? What product(s) did you use, and was there a special aggregate you added? I''m assuming you added a colorant to the concrete as you mixed it. They are beautiful!

Comment

Would love to do bench tops half as sexy! Second that call for more details!
                            Cheers

Greg

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...erra-australia

Photo Album: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...JZX8QMLT_9mVj7

Comment

Looks great!! I am also in Temecula and getting ready to break ground on a build.......stoked to hear of a local guy on here.
                              https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

Working...
                              X