Hello from Sandpoint, Idaho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huck, it is looking great!

The only thing that I would have advised is to include a brow over the front or a recess for a storm door. Neither is too late to include. I'm all about keeping moisture out of the oven and the entry .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      Huck, it is looking great!

The only thing that I would have advised is to include a brow over the front or a recess for a storm door. Neither is too late to include. I'm all about keeping moisture out of the oven and the entry .
      Thanks Gulf.. I poured the landing/countertop yesterday and am setting an FB brick arch on that. (I'm considering adding mortar over the arch to blend it into the structure.) That will give me about a 4" brow. I sloped the landing away from the opening. Do you think that will be enough for a storm door? I am quite worried about water intrusion from the door area Do you have any ideas for a storm door?
      So far my water protection : ungrouted tile mat under 2" FoamGlas, 1/2" weep holes under the tile, 2 heavy coats of Thoroseal over the brown coat of stucco. I plan on painting over the thoroseal which a good exterior paint I'd like build a roof over but that's in the future.

Comment

I should have known from the previous pic that you weren't finished. The Face brick arch looks great! You should be golden with that. Yes, I have and idea for a storm door that is not recessed. I will have to get to my older computer to do a sketch. But, it has to do with including a water channel into the door. It is a simple design. It is good that you sloped the landing away from the opening. Give me a couple of days for the sketch.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          I should have known from the previous pic that you weren't finished. The Face brick arch looks great! You should be golden with that. Yes, I have and idea for a storm door that is not recessed. I will have to get to my older computer to do a sketch. But, it has to do with including a water channel into the door. It is a simple design. It is good that you sloped the landing away from the opening. Give me a couple of days for the sketch.

Comment

Michael, the oven looks great with the paint coating! Are you going to put a skirt on the sides to protect that wood a bit? I thought about putting on some sheets of cement backer board on the sides and then adding tile or cultured rock to make the stand look more "classic" (whatever that means ). I am a little concerned that some of the wood might get wet and freeze causing some damage to your base stand. Would seem to be something to think about in the upcoming seasons.

At any rate, your efforts have certainly created a fabulous center for entertainment show casing pizza, bread, roasts, etc. Looking forward to hearing how you are using and enjoying the oven.
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Z
              Originally posted by Huckleberry Hill View Post
              Thanks Mike! It wouldn’t be as nice without the advice I’ve received from the group here, that’s foe sure!
              I do intend to enclose the base as you describe next summer but maybe I’ll at least get the cement board on this year.
              Cheers!

Comment

I start my project of installing a Casag90 oven soon. This thread is definitely useful. I am also in the pacific NW (Portland). How is your oven holding up? Do you like the size?

Comment

Working...
                X