Casa100 Build - Chico CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casa100 Build - Chico CA

After having a WFO in my bucket list for at least ten years. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Casa100. It arrived on a pallet a couple of weeks ago. I took oven and parts off the pallet and moved them around to the back yard piece by piece with the help of my convertible dolly.

I'm stoked but also apprehensive about the work ahead. That thing is huge! Maybe I should have bought the 80 LOL.

I had originally thought about driving down to Salinas to look at ovens but I decided to just have it shipped. $250 wasn't bad although I could have spent a couple of day in Monterey with my wife

The plan is a corner build. I'll put the oven against the back fence of my yard (three feet away) and build a patio around it. I spent the last two weekends creating a Sketchup Model. I'll build two extensions off the oven for countertop space. Guests can put together pizzas on the left side while the chef works on the right.
    • Plan so far:
      • Two counter wings
      • Stucco the face of the block and counters
      • Primitive wooden doors for storage under the counters
      • Back splash so stuff doesn't fall off the back
      • Hardi Backer for all counter faces (and stucco)
      • Mosaic tile on the counter tops and back splash. Base made of plywood and Hardi Backer
      • Weep holes in the hearth and mosaic tile under the fiber board for channeling
    • Unknown
      • I don't know if I will build a "House" or an "Igloo"
      • Fitting around the chimney seems complex.
      • How to keep it water tight
    I plan to document the build here. I have done this before on other forums.
    • Attached
      • Pallet in the driveway
      • Dome and floor dry fitted on the patio
      • Corner where the oven is going
      • Sketchup model so far
    Scott~
    Last edited by hillscp; 05-23-2021, 12:08 PM.

I am curious how things went with this project of yours? I am in the process of deciding between the Casa90 vs Preimio100 and if 36" is enough space to cook for yourself and entertain.

Comment

I had some setbacks due to the extremely hot weather here and the smoke from the nearby Dixie fire but I'm getting started again. I had a contractor come pour a 600sq foot patio extension and replace aging patio roof supports. I bought all the block and stacked it in two places on the patio. One on the edge and one in the corner. I'm going with the corner spot (see photo below). Yesterday I went and picked up 18 60lb sacks of concrete and five 10ft lengths of 1/2 inch re-bar. Cut the re-bar to length with a hack saw. I'll fill every corner core with concrete and re-bar then every other core. I am dry stacking the block. The Radio Flyer came in handy because my wheel barrow had a flat.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by leowiz View Post
        I am curious how things went with this project of yours? I am in the process of deciding between the Casa90 vs Preimio100 and if 36" is enough space to cook for yourself and entertain.
        I'll let you know when I get it done. My guess is I would have no trouble entertaining 20 people.

Comment

Filling cores today. Took about an hour to fill six. Seven more to go. Added another tier to the base as well. I have a friend who owns a restaurant with a WFO and he is giving me tips.

Tips:

1. Keep a long piece of re-bar to use to tamp any air out of the concrete.
          2. Wet the inside of the cores before filling. IDK if it helps but I didn't want the dry block to pull water out of the mix.
          3. Mix one bag at a time, that way you can take a break

Comment

Keep a long piece of re-bar to use to tamp any air out of the concrete.
            Also, you can take the blade out of a sawzall. Place it against the rebar. Later, in the build you can place the bladeless saw against the forms
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post

Also, you can take the blade out of a sawzall. Place it against the rebar. Later, in the build you can place the bladeless saw against the forms
              My wife would be ever so happy to see me come home with a sawzall lol.

Comment

Question for everyone. I am thinking about whether I need a lintel across the front opening or if I could get away with just leaving the hearth unsupported there with re-bar going across. I could pour a lintel and tie it to the block with re-bar but I would rather not if I can get away with it. (see drawing)

Comment

After staring at it for a while I decided to go with the lintel. I think it gives it a more finished look. Maybe I'll tile it.

Comment

+1 on going with the lintel. You can pour it monolithic with the hearth slab. A bladeless jigsaw will work just as well for vibrating the forms.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The conventional method is to use lintel or bond beam blocks and fill them with reo and concrete tied into the vertical cores of the blocks on the ends.
                      https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/thec...l-block/29496/
                      Last edited by david s; 09-15-2021, 07:07 PM.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

+2, both Gulf and I poured mono lintels on our ovens. There is a recent build from Minnesota that did a nice mono pour as well, just search around.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I made a model of the lintel form. I'll have to rent a hammer drill and put short pieces of rebar in the sides to tie it to the block base. Vertical and horizontal rebar for the sides and top.

Comment

I would take out the half block at the top of the pic and remove half of the block ion the other side. Then form those two voiids to pour monolithic with the lintel.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                              I would take out the half block at the top of the pic and remove half of the block ion the other side. Then form those two voiids to pour monolithic with the lintel.
                              Thanks - that is the perfect build! - problem is I already filled the cores and it would take significant effort to remove them now So I built the form now I just need to rent a hammer drill and put rebar in the wall.
                              Last edited by hillscp; 09-25-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X