CasaG90 Build in Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CasaG90 Build in Houston

First build - Wanted to chronicle this undertaking. I've been wanting to build a pizza oven for about the past 8-10 years.
    We had to resurface our pool, so we decide to add on an outdoor area nearby. I finally convinced my wife it would be a great idea
    to add on an extra 10 feet to the slab we poured, for a pizza oven. I am still in shock she actually agreed to letting me do this...

Started with Cinder block purchases in May. Took a while to get them all to the house.

The original design was to have the oven and an open pit area next to it for some campfires and maybe a place to roast a piece of meat over a flame.
    When I started setting out the cinderblocks to map it out, I found it just wasn't going to be feasible, so i just went with the pizza oven in the middle with
    two countertops on each side. The wife thought it was going to be a LOT smaller......

Here a some pics of the final layout and with concrete and rebar in the holes....

Here are the forms and the rebar.

Comment

Here's the pour. I have a friend that owns a concrete coloring company. She gave me something a little different. We went blue to match the color of the tile on our pool.

Comment

I've sanded the surface down with up to 400 grit. The seal I'm getting will complete it. I'll seal after everything is done....
        Oven is suppose to come on Friday.

I have one question for those with some expertise. I am putting down FoamGlas and the fiber insulation under the firebrick.
        - Is there still a need for weep holes? Or is it one of those things where it can't hurt?
        - If they are needed is there a specific location they should be drilled?
        Last edited by Jodear; 06-23-2021, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Since FoamGlas will not absorb water you should not get any water from the hearth migrating up through the FoamGlas to the CaSi. That said, water "will" migrate from the hearth to under the FoamGlas when it rains. A weep hole will give the water an egress spot but not required based on you insulation set up. Ideally the weep hole(s) should be near the low spots. Typically the FB ovens come with AlSi board and equiv to CaSi and I am assuming you are going the extra mile and adding FoamGlas.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I know Houston weather and I figured I had better do something about the moisture. I really don’t want to deal with water issues if I can avoid it.
            I appreciate the advice.

Comment

So, the oven is on it's way, and I had a few days, so i decided to put on the split faced travertine. Turned out better than I thought

Comment

Oven came yesterday. I decided to put down FoamGlas for that first layer. Since moisture is an issue in Houston, I'm trying to keep the floor as dry as possible.

Comment

Got the oven up on the floor insulation and cut it to shape. Then mortared the joints. Should I be concerned if there are any, what I see as superficial cracks in the refractory mortar?

Comment

In most modular ovens the joints are designed to expand and contract, was it specified to fill the joints?

Comment

Yes, it’s the refractory mortar that came with the oven to just seal the joints.

Comment

Ok fair enough if that is what the instructions say then it must be right!
                        From my own perpective i cant see that filling expansion gaps makes sense but I am sure the manufactures have thought this through.
                        Your base work looks great by the way.

Comment

FB designed their ovens with an "L" joint, so there is only mortar on the outside portion of the joint. Not the inside that will need to do the expanding.
                          I appreciate the compliment on the base. I haven't done any type of concrete or stone work in 20+ years when I spent a summer working
                          for a Stucco/drywall company. At that I was mostly just a laborer that could carry heavy things around. I just watched the real professionals
                          and had to try to remember what I saw them do. I guess my memory isn't shot, just yet.

Comment

Congratulations! That looks really good!
                            My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                            My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Put on the blanket, wrapped it in a metal lath and put on a layer of Vermiculite, perlite, and portland cement. Sides were done with a 4:2:1, and the top was done with 5:3:1 ratio.
                              I have no idea how anyone is able to put this stuff on at 10:1. I was struggling with sides for better part of a day. Once i got the bottom done, and let that harden for a day, the rest did go much
                              quicker.
                              Last edited by Jodear; 07-03-2021, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X