Oven on wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven on wheels

No hearth insulation yet, apart from the scoria-crete slab. Hearth bricks are loose. Reckon I'll put a layer of vermicrete under the bricks. Sorta cast it in-situ, if you get my drift. The scoria is supposed to be reasonable anyway, so I reckon a 50mm layer on top should do it.

Comment

Gudday
      Just thought I'd point out that if you lift your hearth up and re-insulate after the dome is built you will upset the 63 per cent ratio of door to dome height by changing you floor height.
      A large oven perhaps could tolerate a 50mm (2in) change but a smaller oven?
      Hope this helps rather than hinders

Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Yep, aware of that, Dave. Don't stress, it will have the extra insulation under the floor before the dome is finished.
        I have to cut a brick to close the circle, which I just couldn't get motivated to do after work last night, but I will do that before the weekend. Then on Sunday I plan to mix some vermicrete and see if I can lay it in to my satisfaction.
        One thing about a 30 inch oven, you need quite a bit less of everything.
        Easter coming up. One of the few family traditions to follow on Good Friday. I always go fishing on Good Friday with the kids, and dinner that evening is whatever we catch. Never gone hungry in 21 years of marriage.
        Then I hope to pretty much complete the arch and dome over the rest of the break.

Comment

It is worthwhile to allow the vermicrete to dry for at least a week before relaying the floor bricks over it otherwise you are trapping the moisture in and that under floor water is hard to remove.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David,
            Here's another non-conventional idea. As you no doubt can see from the photos, the dome walls go straight down onto the insulating concrete floor.
            Once I lay a couple of bricks across the front, I have a contained tray in which to lay my vermicrete.
            I wonder whether one could lay dry vermiculite in there and put the bricks straight on that? Just spread it out flat and drop the bricks on it, or would it compress too much over time?
            The bunnings ovens seem to just have a blanket under there, which must surely compress and lose effectiveness over time?
            As far as drying it out goes - I'm lucky to find 2 hours per week to work on this thing, by the time I fire it up, it'll be dessicated, dehydrated, drier than a dead dingo's donger, drier than a lime burner's boot, etc.
            But I'll leave it a while before I put the bricks back, just the same.
            Mick
            Last edited by wotavidone; 03-27-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Yes, you could place the vermiculite in dry, but you might have some problems with the floor bricks settling and moving unevenly.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David.
                Do you know if anyone has done it successfully before?
                Regards,
                Mick

Comment

David,
                  Going back to my build where I placed a 3/4" layer of "fine" vermiculite on top of the course vermicultite (both were 5 to 1 vermicrete). The large marble/small marble conversation . Would adding a thin layer of vermicrete on top of the dry bed help expidite the drying time and still give a firm underlayment for Mick's floor?
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Ah bugger it! I'll get over the laziness factor and mix some vermicrete. I only have to fill in a 750mm circle with a little bit of landing at the front.
                    Can't be that hard. (famous last words?)

Comment

• Re: Oven on wheels

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                      Ah bugger it! I'll get over the laziness factor and mix some vermicrete. I only have to fill in a 750mm circle with a little bit of landing at the front.
                      Can't be that hard. (famous last words?)
                      There ya go. You only get to do it once. Take the time and the effort needed to do it right.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hello,
                        Forno Bravo has recently introduced the Andiamo series wood pizza ovens. They are fully assembled pizza ovens with a metal enclosure and stand that are easy to move. They feature an attractive metal gabled enclosure, stand, and locking casters. I will include the link in this post:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/andiamo_datasheet.pdf

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact our Australia distributor, Andy Martin (A Pizza Italia), andy@apizzaitalia.com

I hope this information is helpful.

Comment

I saw those when you first listed them, thank you. They are exactly what I first visualised when I started. I'm too far along to stop now - commited to finishing. But I'm delighted to hear you can now get them in OZ. If we find the new dream house we are searching for, I won't be building a new oven at the new address, that's for sure.
                          Regards,
                          Mick

Comment

I now have 2 inches of vermicrete on top of 3 inches of scoriacrete. If that isn't an insulated hearth, I don't know what is. Floor back in tomorrow, and start the arch.
                            Last edited by wotavidone; 03-31-2012, 01:55 AM.

Comment

A skim coat of terracotta clay, and bedded in the bricks.

I can see what they say about drying the floor. There must be a gallon or two of water in there. Clay floats like concrete if you have lots of water in it, but it sure means there is a lot to dry out.
                              Next puzzle. Looking at the pic of the floor bricks, at the front there will be four bricks layed pointing straight out of the oven that will be the landing.
                              Do we mortar those, or just lay in clay? How hot do those 4 bricks get, should they be my most heat tolerant bricks, or can I use the ones I decided not to risk in the dome?

Comment

Gudday
                                Neat workman you are! I'd have a mile of crap around the oven to clean up first before finishing anything.
                                Id mortar those front edges to prevent the hearth bricks from floating forward ...thats the only direction there not contained.

Regards Dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X