portable oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable oven

So the weather has improved slightly and I'm eager to get my oven built. My plan is to do markets, I want to be able to load the oven onto the back of a trailer. I would like advice on what to do next!!! i am unsure about insulation because i dont know if it is ok to use fiberclass/rockwool also should i use re-bar cast in the dome or will this lead to cracks when the iron expands??

Re: portable oven

Originally posted by cobpaul View Post
    So the weather has improved slightly and I'm eager to get my oven built. My plan is to do markets, I want to be able to load the oven onto the back of a trailer. I would like advice on what to do next!!! i am unsure about insulation because i dont know if it is ok to use fiberclass/rockwool also should i use re-bar cast in the dome or will this lead to cracks when the iron expands??
    If that is the cart you plan to use you need to be prepared to pick up lots of small pieces of oven all over the ground when it tips away from the legs. A two wheel cart of that type with the heavy weight of the oven so far from the ground and a single axle as the point of rotation could cause a catistrophic failure. if tipped the wrong way, you will not be able to hold it back.

I would rethink the size of the wheels and balance points.

Fiberglass is also not a good choice as it contains binders that will burn off and be a problem. Ceramic blanket or high ratio mix of perlite or vermiculite and Portland cement would be much better 8/1 up to 11/1 ratio. the higher the better for insulation.

Just my two cents.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM.
    Chip

Comment

Do a search on the forum for mobile ovens. There is lots to consider.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Now, that made me smile! If thats your cart, use "LEGO", blocks to build your oven.

Comment

I personally think that your cart will be fine with a small oven on it IF you build it correctly. As already stated fiberglass won't work, but Rockwool is fine. That said I would not use rockwool in your situation. Here's how I would proceed:

1. Built a solid metal platform on top of your frame work. Roof decking would be great if you can find it, but something along the lines of 16 gauge mild steel would probably work too.

2. Cast a 6" layer of 6:1 perlcrete on top of the metal.

3. Build a firebrick cooking floor.

4. Cast your oven using a commercial castable refractory and stainless needles for reinforcement. No rebar!

5. Build a simple square enclosure right around the framing you already have. Sheet metal of some sort of backer board would be ideal.

6. Fill the entire enclosure with 12:1 perlcrete around the oven. This will insulate but also lock the oven in place. That way when you tilt that cart to move it the oven will not be able to shift.

7. Put a roof on the enclosure.

Comment

This would have to be a small oven. My mobile is 21" in diam and weighs around 170kgs. Don't know what your stand base dimensions are but mine are 910 x 910 mm. I think you may need some diagonal bracing on the stand to eliminate movement sideways.

Comment

apologies chip, ceramic blanket is called fiberglass/rockwool where I come from. Thanks Shuboyje but what do you mean by roof decking? corrugated sheets is it?? David the base is 36''x36''

Comment

apologies chip, ceramic blanket is called fiberglass/rockwool where I come from. Thanks Shuboyje but what do you mean by roof decking? corrugated sheets is it?? David the base is 36''x36''
                Ok, same size as mine, it might be doable.

Comment

Hi Cobpaul,

Please check again before you buy, many people mistakenly think fiberglass, rockwool and ceramic blankets are all the same, they are not!

Comment

I'm with the majority here...that stand looks scary to me. Looks like it would tip back potentially. But then again, I'm no engineer.

Bill

Comment

I agree. The drawbar on my trailer has gone skywards a couple of times. Fortunately it is chained into the trailer and no harm done, but this is a problem for single axles trailers with heavy loads over the axle. The more so the higher you go.

Comment

yes!! a third detachable pole with a wheel on the end for when im moving it about. The fulcram is directly over the axle. but i plan to adapt my trailer so i can secure the cart to it for transport and loading/off loading with a small winch, without fear of it going skyward. it will be next week before i get to the builders yard to get the rest of the stuff. also would i get away with using marine ply instead of sheet metal for underneath the 6'' perlcrete base?

Comment

Take your pick. The sheet metal will eventually rust, the marine ply will eventually rot. Heat and moisture will hasten both. Cement sheeting might be a better option but it would have to be well supported and thick enough.

Comment

cool ill go with the ply cause i have some.... so ill post more photos next week when i have the base poured thanks Dave

Comment

I am building a frame on the trailer to keep the cart in place and secure. obviously i will be tying it down with heavy-duty rachet straps also.

Comment

Working...
                              X