X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: portable oven

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    L,

Just saw your post, the song dates you a little........ummm, I remember it well too.
    I tell everyone that I'm older than dirt! And speaking of dates, today I'm officially a Senior Citizen, don't know how in hades, that slipped up on me????

Comment

Interesting. At what age, in Japan, does one become a senior citizen? More importantly at what age does the govt start paying a pension. In Australia it is 65, but will be 67 in a few years time. I think in France it's 60 and Greece 55.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
        I tell everyone that I'm older than dirt! And speaking of dates, today I'm officially a Senior Citizen, don't know how in hades, that slipped up on me????
        Just now gettin' there? I thought you was "older than air", young feller' .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I got my AARP card a long time ago so do I qualify for older than @#$%.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            Just now gettin' there? I thought you was "older than air", young feller' .
            OK,Gulf. You got me, trying to shave a little time off my many years. You know I don't mind the years, but I don't want the mind set. In my daughter's school, I was named the "Coolest Parent", don't want my status to degrade to "Old F@&T!

Comment

Hi Mikku-san,

Domo arigato gozaimasu! I will do my best, to be who I am, for the rest of my days. Have you borrowed your neighbor's fork lift, yet?

Comment

would i be right not using any sand in the base, just vermiculite, cement and chicken wire?. Also happy birthay !!

Comment

You can add some sand and it will increase strength, but it will also decrease the insulating capacity, of the mix.
                  Last edited by david s; 03-26-2013, 05:12 AM. Reason: Coma

Comment

Thanks david, I was thinking, would the 3/4'' fiberboard placed ontop of the base provide enough insulation?

Comment

If it is to replace the vermicrete, no. You probably need at least two layers of 3/4". Bearing in mind that your oven will be primarily used to cook pizza, then you will be keeping an active fire on the side, so you shouldn't need tons of insulation under the floor. My mobile has 3" of Hebel and 1" of vermicrete under the floor which is approx the same value as 2" board. I can easily keep the thing cranking out 2 min pizzas all night and plenty of heat and insulation to cook a roast or a couple of loaves of bread.

Comment

well I bought 1 bag vermiculite, 3 portland and 2 sand, for the base. how thick should I make the base. does the fiberboard only need to be under the firebricks of the oven floor? I'm not sure I would be able to find hebel, does it go by any other name?

Comment

Hebel is also known as aerated concrete. If you have a steel structure, then that should suffice as a supporting slab. As you already have the vermiculite you should be able to cast a slab of 5:1 vermicrete straight over the steel. It is normally 4" thick. The board is just an alternative insulating material. If you are worrying about cost then vermicrete is usually the cheaper alternative. The reason I used Hebel was to try and make a base that acted as both a supporting slab and an insulator, while trying to save weight. I wouldn't use it if we're building another mobile, it has cracked and is only held in place by the steel cradle it sits on.

If I were to redo mine I would try a 4" vermicrete slab using 4:1:0.5 vermiculite,cement,sand with some light weight (3mm steel mesh) in the centre of the cast slab.
                          Last edited by david s; 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

David your awesome and patient.....

thats 5 parts cement to 1 part vermiculite, by volume isnt it?

I used 18mm osb for the base

I think I could manage 1 square meter of fiberboard, if it only had to be underneath the oven floor I think Id have enough for a 1 1/2'' layer, would it be worth it??

Thank you.
                            Last edited by cobpaul; 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Yes, by volume, but 4:1 would be stronger, although less insulating.

Comment

so base is poured, just waiting for it to dry, its 3'' thick that was all the cement i had, so I will be using the fiberboard under the firebricks

Comment

Working...
                                X