Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: portable oven

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Take your pick. The sheet metal will eventually rust, the marine ply will eventually rot. Heat and moisture will hasten both. Cement sheeting might be a better option but it would have to be well supported and thick enough.
    Under the slab with an oven and roof over it do you know how long it would take for sheetmetal to rust out? Longer then the life of this oven if it doesn't become a family heirloom. There is ductwork on roofs all over the place that has been there for 50+ years exposed to the elements. The building I'm working in now has a 25 story hand riveted steel ventilation shaft running right up the center of it that has been there since the 20's.

Comment

Originally posted by cobpaul View Post
      yes!! a third detachable pole with a wheel on the end for when im moving it about. The fulcram is directly over the axle. but i plan to adapt my trailer so i can secure the cart to it for transport and loading/off loading with a small winch, without fear of it going skyward. it will be next week before i get to the builders yard to get the rest of the stuff. also would i get away with using marine ply instead of sheet metal for underneath the 6'' perlcrete base?
      I like the idea of a third wheel oposite the handles idealy that wheel would be free spinning caster style wheel that would be a few inches off the ground when the oven was level. It also may be a good idea to have that third wheel attached to a jack similar to the jack on a boat trailer. That way the wheel assembly could be used to assist in leveling the oven on slightly uneven ground as this is a portable oven.

I would also add some cross bracing to the frame it looks a little weak and prone to twisting load failure.

I believe marine plywood will last a long time as the oven will most likely be stored inside, I would put a coat of paint on the ply (both sides and edges) and also run a bead of weather resistant caulk where it meets the frame.

Chip
      Last edited by mrchipster; 02-26-2013, 06:43 PM.
      Chip

Comment

yeah i was thinking along those lines mikku there are loads of markets and fairs going on every week all over the country, generally the bigger ones will be on the 1st,2nd,3rd or last sat/sun of the month and farmers markets can be found midweek in various locations for most of the year. much the same as japan i would guess lol. the market scene here is cut-throat and very hard to get in to because there is a ''click'' in all of them and they look after their own first and make it difficult for everyone else trying to get in, if you know what i mean.... but in general at a farmers market you would find butcher's, fishmongers, crafts, live poultry, confectionary, preserves, vegatbles and baked goods ie. sweet and savory, but no pizza!!! they are usually quite dull but thats because we have bad weather here most of the year. But the sight and smell of a wood fired oven would do well I think, ive got loads of ideas about what to bake and cook in it not just pizza. I have my name and logo on paper already, I'll get a banner made up if its going well.

yeah chip thats what i had in min the wheel and the cross bracing, I was worried about the heat affecting the ply. The oven will be stored out of the rain. Should i drive screws up through the ply say about 20/30 to help hold the perlcrete to the ply?? I think tec7 will do the job of holding the ply to the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by cobpaul View Post
          yeah chip thats what i had in min the wheel and the cross bracing, I was worried about the heat affecting the ply. The oven will be stored out of the rain. Should i drive screws up through the ply say about 20/30 to help hold the perlcrete to the ply?? I think tec7 will do the job of holding the ply to the frame.
          Gravity will keep everything attached. Te Teks to hold the ply in place is a good idea, the Perlcrete has almost no shear strength so I think screws in that would only aid in cracks showing up.

As far as heat? How much perlcrete were you planning on? If it is 4 inches or more you should be OK on temps.

You are planning for a perimeter panel (I recommend aluminum or steel sheet metal for that) of some type to hold the perlcrete in place on the sides correct?? With a containment wall you should be able to go to 7/1 or 8/1 or even higher with your perlite to cement ratios.

Chip
          Last edited by mrchipster; 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM.
          Chip

Comment

I think he means that no one is selling pizza, an open niche, that he would like to fill.

Comment

Of course I have researched and checked already and it can be done mikku. public liabilty insurance, HACCP (food safety). The food safety authority will send an inspector to check over the kitchen in the house, once they're happy you can go ahead to the markets and await a visit from the health inspector. The vendors licence is in essence the ''click'' and they dont like to share.

So ill be making dough at home and bringing it with me already prepard, meat ingreidients will be bought in prepard ie. sliced pepperoni/diced ham. Things will be kept cold either in cool boxes or if thats not wotking i have a small jenny and a small freezer that i can bring along. for hot water (health and safety) I will have my small rocket stove, if they are not happy with that!! well ill have to look into getting a small gas water heater or a burka that i can run off the jenny. once you do your temp checks, have access to hot water and batch codes noted, they are happy to let you trade.

I dont have a small truck/pick-up mikku, im doing what i can with what i have. Rules dont differ much from place to place here they're all the same, obviously you cant just show up and start selling food.

Exactly Laurentius, before someone else does and I can't get my licence because someone else has started doing pizza and what not before me.

Only if the sides have to be metal..... I would like to clad them in timber for the asthethics of it chip
              Last edited by cobpaul; 02-28-2013, 02:11 AM.

Comment

I think that this is getting off track also I detect a pinch of sarcasim off you mikku. I need to know about building the oven, not to explain the meanderings of market life in the Emerald Isle

Comment

As your oven supporting slab is the same size as mine, then it will presumably be around the same weight. I see two problems for you to overcome. Firstly the weight will be largely on the two big yellow wheels. I found with mine that four wheels were insufficient and they began to dig into the floor bed of my trailer. My solution was to add two extra wheels between the others. This spread the load nicely and added the advantage of the leading wheels being able to bridge the small gap between the trailer and the oven stand.(see my pics on previous post). You may be able to achieve a similar effect by adding adjustable jockey wheels to the front and back as has been suggested previously, but that still may be insufficient and you may need to strengthen the trailer under the wheel tracks.
                  The second problem I see is that you will have a very high centre of mass once the oven is built on the stand then loaded onto the trailer. This could make transportation difficult. I generally leave my oven on the trailer and cook with it there although I can also dismantle the steel stand once the oven is on the trailer and assemble it on site. It is a little too low in working height but that is a price I am willing to pay for having a stable transportable oven. Hope this gives you some food for thought. There is usually always a workable solution.
                  Another thing that I think worth doing is to make the flue removable for transportation so that it can't wobble around.
                  Dave
                  Last edited by david s; 02-28-2013, 04:46 AM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Seen the pics david, thats a nice oven. I was thinking about putting skids on the trailer bed to hold the cart wheels in place. If I can get a short amount of smalish rsj's or ''I' beams they would function a guide track for easier loading and offloading aswell as supporting the weight of the oven, otherwise I was thinking 2 short sleepers fixed to the trailer bed with a scoop/track in the center of them for the cart wheels to slot into for transport.

I have a flu stack but I was thinking that I would just a dome without it.

A SMALL HORSEBOX!!!! yes that would be the right job, I'm going to look into it

For loading and unloading mikku it is a job for 2 men with the winch, I am concerned about the structural resonance frequency of my setup, but the oven is going on that cart. I am taking a bit of a chance yes.... but it's my oven and I want a stand alone ''roll on roll off'' oven.

Comment

Trying to build a small, light , cheap oven to run a business out of is like trying to fly by jumping at the ground .., it's never worked before, but if you succeed we'll all be jealous.

Comment

Don't now how this post landed here, sorry

Comment

2 Men and a winch???? I move my 42" oven alone all the time. Build it right and it's not an issue. Thin about moving pallets with a pallet jack. One guy can move a couple tons with one, but they are built to do it.

Comment

I'll post again next week when I have some more done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudologist View Post
                              Trying to build a small, light , cheap oven to run a business out of is like trying to fly by jumping at the ground .., it's never worked before, but if you succeed we'll all be jealous.
                              I built my oven to hire out to people for private parties and that's where it gets most of its use. I offer to operate the oven if people want that and charge more of course. Parties up to 30 are easy and I've done some with more than double that number.If guests share whatever comes out of the oven, a piece of this a piece of that, you can feed a large crowd.But if I were planning on doing markets and selling individual pizzas to the public, I would really need a bigger oven, that could comfortably cook two at a time.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

All and more considered already mikku. I have no intention of setting up on the side of a hill and if there is a slight incline its nothing that chocks would'nt remedy. There is an easy solution to the weather. I'm not going to pay people to que up to buy things, and who is going to wait for hours?? In the usa if you go into any well established fast food franchise and order ANYTHING from the menu you get it instantaneously, in ireland you have to wait maybe 2-6 minutes depending on what you have ordered, in thailand the food looks the same as the picture.... Par-baking bases has more than 1 benefit. Wheel chocks will stop the cart from running away.

David do you par-bake? and would you really not fit 2 small pizza's at a time?
                                Last edited by cobpaul; 03-01-2013, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X