Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: portable oven

Originally posted by david s View Post
    I agree that nothing's changed, but can't agree that it's nice to see.
    True.
    Cobpaul, I'm keen to see how this little oven turned out - any pics, preferably of it sitting in a little farmer's market somewhere, with you handing over a fresh pizza to a beautiful Irish rose, and her handing you a crisp five pound note with a smile?

Comment

Tyvm wotavidon, I will post more pics in the next couple of weeks, when I have time to dress it up a bit. I've decided that a horse box is the best way to transport it around, but when i have the money for a cheap one there is none to be found, when i don't have the money they are everywhere lol. I have thought about trimming down the legs of the oven so that it will fit in the back of my van, but doing that will make the working height of the oven uncomfortablealso the horse box will provide adequet shelter for the oven. Its painfull to see all the busy markets and fairs full of pretty irish roses who love a wink and some banter, handing over crisp 5 euro notes to vendors of crepes and the like. But on the plus side I have had time to aquire all the bits and peices, found my suppliers and get through the red tape of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by cobpaul View Post
        Takes 2 hours for mine to heat up aswell mikku, I would like to have the laser thermometer so i could easily take readings at set intervals to see how the oven perfoms. I have not used bases just placed the pizza from the paddle straight onto the oven floor. I'm not really a fan of crusts and i don't leave the edges any thicker or try to leave a passata free perimeter around the edges. I do like the slightly charred bubbling on the pizza from moiture escaping the base. i use 00 flour and i try to keep the bases as thin as i can, it does take a long time to.prepare the dough what with waiting for it to prove and all . my plan is to have a float of maybe 10 par baked bases and keep par baking as i go.

the dome is still unfinished, Its still the vermiculite concrete mix, I'm unsure about what to finnish it with to be honest, but it is protected from the elements for the moment.
        In my opinion, the laser thermometer is just a toy. I searched around--the one I really wanted, I could not import into Japan for some reason or another. I ended up with a German model, works occasionally, gives screwed up reading often. Really think it is better to just learn how your oven works without this gadget. If I were to do it again--would not have bought one at all. If you are baking bread my in-the-door thermometer with probe gives adequate readings, the other small thermometer (really cheap one--like from the dollar shop- here called 100 yen shop) probably gives the best readings but I am on my third one--from knocking it over and breaking the glass.

Could you give an explanation of your par baking--and how you do it? I know that it means "partial bake", but how long to get a firmed up crust? Where do you do it?

Also do not know your meaning or horse box--is that a local slang for something easily recognizable for a non-EU member?

Comment

Its painfull to see all the busy markets and fairs full of pretty irish roses who love a wink and some banter
          Ah, there is nothing sweeter than a wild Irish rose

"My Roisin Dubh is my one and only true love............
          Looking for a girl with green eyes,
          My Dark Rosaleen is my only colleen..........."

Roisin Dubh (Black Rose) - Thin Lizzy 1979

They say it was inspired by a Gaelic poem that was actually a call to arms, but when I heard this as a boy, all I got was a mental image of an Irish girl with long dark hair and green eyes.
          Then years later, along came Sharon Corr
          http://xtremewalls.com/music/Sharon_...orr-007-10.jpg

Comment

lol elite club!! I did learn a lot from building this oven, and there certainly are things that I will do differently when I build my next one whenever that happens.

Book by its cover.... you must not have read the title probably written ''as gaeilge''. I?m Irish and if I could chase away the bitter frosty mornings with a stick I would, but lucky for me I have a functioning oven that works in all types of weather and its nice and toasty to stand in front of on a still autumn day and to look at the sheep grazing under hues of orange that have begun to creep across the old oak trees in the fields in front of from myth house, I reminded why Americans refer to autumn as ''fall''.The aroma of my delicious food attracts the attention of my neighbours little yippy dog. A dog who will always pester me to throw a stick, a stick that he just can?t seem to leave down... here,have some roast beef little dog, leave the stick down, come sit and watch the serenity of the ''fall'' with me ahhhh..... peace.

The oven performs well I THINK, I have not had the opurtunity to compare it with more than 1 other. After 5/6 hours of usage the underside and exterior dome are still cool to touch. I have a small oven thermometer that goes up to 600 degrees fahrenheit, it goes off the scale so it is difficult to know exactly how hot it is. At a guess i would say 800-850. I need to get one of those laser thermometers when i have the money. When the fire dies down and the door is on the oven holds some heat till the next day usually 100-150. I can cook a par baked pizza in less than 2 minutes and while I have not had as much time to experiment with it as i would like, I feel like I have struck a rythem with the fire managment when i use the oven. I enjoy using it and the extra dimension of flavour that it adds.

But yeah, it works!! I wish I had more time to experiment with it, there is lots I want to try.

Hey Whats that you have there?? An Olive branch!! Where did you find one of those in Ireland? ohh ok GO FETCH.
            Gudday Paul
            Well that's a nice term of words to be sure.
            The Irish have always been known for their poetry and philosophers and lovers and fighters.
            Well done on the oven off course.
            But guess what?..... Your an elite now.
            Your now one of the band of brothers and sisters who appreciate lighting a fire in there oven with match, lighter, weed flame thrower. And settling down to enjoy the time to enjoy putting that heat into the refractory. Not 10 mins , but on hour or 2 to enjoy the world around. Take time to smell the smoke, the fresh air, look about., feed the flames.
            Buddy, matey, mate, compadres it doesn't matter, its all the same , really.
            And how about that olive branch, now that's great kindling.... But your choose was to use for something else...
            Regards Dave
            PS
            More pics ....please. Yes I know someone going to say " well I would have done it this way" and another goes " well in my oven i did, "
            But basically someone on this planet is going to say "hah I can do that, in fact I can do ....."
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

It was a call to arms, back when the irish took no guff from anyone lol, not to speak bad of the british, but the british colinized entire continents on the far reaches of the globe and yet they couldn't subdue a tiny island on their own doorstep. lol we were taught about that poem when we were 9 years old in school, how the british would descend upon people they thought to be involved in rebel activities (which was everyone), and so why calls to arms were discuised. Anyways....

so when i par bake mikku, ill just half bake the bases to the point where there is slight bubbling and no crispiness about a minute and a half, then when someone orders i will use the oldest par baked base i have. when my own irish rose has finished putting topppings on the pizza, she will roll out a fresh base for me to par bake. A horse box is a specific kind of trailer for transporting horses, I'm. sure you've seen them.

thanks dave, yeah no doubt the suggestions will come rolling in, but its all good info and perspective. There is nothing like cooking in the wfo and i was surprised at how involved i become when its fired up.
              Last edited by cobpaul; 10-12-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I like it, but I doubt FB moderators will.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Cobpaul,
                  Just look at that! Now there is a company that copied your design already!

I thought there was a waiting period before posts could be made, guess the FB forum cannot keep up with all the new data coming in and out. Probably will not be there for long--but have to write down the web address, interesting to look at!

I'm thinking of firing up my oven today for a beef roast. Need to get some inspiration on how to prepare and season it to make it memorable. Do you have any ideas on doing a "BEEF CHOICE BOTTOM ROUND ROAST"? a little short of 2 KG? Thinking of doing in a cast iron dutch oven?

Comment

If it looks like spam and tastes like spam its probably spam.

But I wont say that as Ill get my arse chewed off again.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

• Re: portable oven

That looks more like daves oven to me, but I'm not worried s soon as i have a horse box I'm away and i like my oven its kinda oldschool and it draws attention.

a nice red wine sauce and some caramelised red onion mikku nomnomnom

Comment

I think its one of those terracotta ovens, nah not into it.....

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
                          In leiu of ......
                          Yeah! Looks like it, but today no gasoline from me to fuel the flames! But no CO2 distinguisher either! Too nice of a fall day for that, and I am into promoting peace and harmony and enjoying nature ---when it is kind to us...
                          Today calm, cool temperatures, smell of smoke in the air from farmers burning their rice chaffe, a little odor of dying (but those are the smells of autumn) no matter where you are...maybe different smoke smell from leaves and such.
                          And above all--first day off in a long time! No long drives for today to get anywhere quickly, just doing anything that comes to mind in any order.

Comment

That looks more like daves oven to me, but I'm not worried s soon as i have a horse box I'm away and i like my oven its kinda oldschool and it draws attention.

a nice red wine sauce and some caramelised red onion mikku nomnomnom
                            Hoping for a recipe- but is that a too much to hope for?

Comment

Sorry, throw a few potatos in there aswell jeez how could i have forgoten.....

Comment

Sorry, throw a few potatos in there aswell jeez how could i have forgoten.....
                                Today has been a real busy day. First day off in a very long time and my fun things have piled up. I fired the oven this morning for a few hours but it is almost 9PM and it is still too hot for putting the roast in. Even with a dutch oven, the oven is still over 300C! So day off is waiting!

The meat is all prepared, used a very special recipe with some special not commonly used spices for beef. Got the heads up from a real good chef I know...He takes sympathy on me because I have a hard time finding my way around the kitchen. Kind of walks me through the preparation. Decided that the roasting will be very late tonite--decided to go with a pizza tonite instead of the roast...I can have it in sandwiches in the morning!

Comment

Working...
                                X