portable oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: portable oven

Well, I almost forgot the reason for even commenting on the forum. Today when I was working on my temporary firewood enclosure. (Have a bunch of wood that needs cutting and splitting but no place to put it while I enlarge my current "maki-goya" (woodshed)... I keep getting lost in thought but give me a little slack.

An old timer masonry guy stopped by just to bullshit with me. He is in his mid 80's and is backlogged with work orders from all over the place. He knows as
    much as anyone I have ever known about masonry--all types, block, brick, plastering, concrete finishing, doing special hard coats,--- He heard about my oven project from ??? who or where I haven't got a clue. He wanted to see my oven and today--lucky for both of us...it was being fired!

While he was here looking at my oven, I told him that I had concerns about making it waterproof in some way that is inexpensive and lasts a very long time. He said that he has worked on a few outdoors ovens during his lifetime but mostly when he was younger... (I'm thinking--that must have been a very long time ago). hehe!

He said that his father has a very good recipe for using readily available materials to make a masonry waterproof enclosure. He said that it is easy to apply and many of his first builds still work and look great!

Oh by the way, the old guy's (mason) name is Nashi--a funny name because nashi means (nothing) or it also is the name of a fruit "nashi" that is similar to a pear in flavor but has the consistency of a raw potato when you eat it!

A little more about Nashi-san (Mr. Nashi)- his eyes are gray looking and clouded over..If you saw a movie--Barabus--with Anthony Quinne playing the part--when he worked in the sulphur mines, he covered his eyes because the mineral would eat away the membrane... That is what his eyes look like--and I told him... It is such a shame that the things that our fathers knew did not all get passed down before they died. I assumed that his father has been gone for a very long time!

He said--"No! his father still advises him!" I could not believe it. He said that when I have my next day off, he will bring me over to his place and we can talk to his father!

Now I am all excited about meeting "Mr. Nashi's father" and learn some trade secrets that have been around --and passed between generations for years!

That is what I am so excited about! A plaster used on old castles--a type of "shikuii" that is made by the craftsman! A treasured secret!
    Last edited by mikku; 10-13-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleBritaly
      Not always (is it spam), would you like me to edit the post, move the images elsewhere and make a fresh link making sure my company isn't mentioned ?

My intention was to prove that portable, lightweight ovens are possible.

AS I've said elsewhere, I don't ship outside of the UK and have no intentions of ever doing so, in other words, I thought it quite safe pointing people in the US, Japan etc to those images. It's also a development site, not my companies operating url.
      My apologies, there is from time to time the odd spammer that slips through just to sell us there wonderful product that we cant live without.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        If it looks like spam and tastes like spam its probably spam.

But I wont say that as Ill get my arse chewed off again.
        Only if it taste like Spam!

Comment

clearly not, I've never seen your product till the other day! no disrespect but I couldnt care less for your ovens, but I wish you luck with them.

I will say that its a bit cheeky posting your link on FB, some might say you more than 1 username on this forum, trying to make a stir. Anyways Im sure mods can see i.p's and if this is the case we wont be seeing you for long!!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleBritaly
            I don't sell outside of the UK and have no intention of ever, so doubt it will have any effect on their, or my sales.
            LittleBritaly,
            I do not if the term "spam" refers to your post. Your ovens look like they are well built and competitively priced. But it seems like "my guess only on your intentions" but the motivation is purely for your own benefit in increasing sales or exposure. Forno Bravo has a worldwide group of members and new people are drawn to the site because of information available that is free.

Now if you would like to delete any linkage to your site, including pricing, addresses---anything that could be thought as as advertising. Then share with the forum your casting techniques and recipe for the refractory you are using...Also share some of the information about problems you have encountered over the years developing your molds and product----maybe it might be tolerated.

There are several persons or companies on this site who do not advertise their work or give any contact information other than what is in their profile.
            But they share their experiences and techniques freely. Think about how FB might view your posts then make the right decision on your own. It might even be wise to change your user name to something that is not linked directly to your product line.

Good luck with your business. But don't use this forum as your free advertising site!

Comment

If it looks like spam and tastes like spam its probably spam.

But I wont say that as Ill get my arse chewed off again.
              The ladder guy's post WAS spam which your rightly pointed out!
              But you have different "rose colored glasses" when it comes to "homegrown ""SPAM"", that was my only point--but you decided to take it lightly as usual.

You can see my answer to the oven manufacturer plugging his product--using this site as his "free advertising site"--He is also wrong. But that is in my humble opinion.

How would you like this forum to have "pop ups" every time you hit a certain subject line? Ah, I guess you do now if you consider my posts to you... but other than that...Constant popups and links to other sites for useless products! What a different site it would be!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                Cobpaul,
                Just look at that! Now there is a company that copied your design already!

I thought there was a waiting period before posts could be made, guess the FB forum cannot keep up with all the new data coming in and out. Probably will not be there for long--but have to write down the web address, interesting to look at!

I'm thinking of firing up my oven today for a beef roast. Need to get some inspiration on how to prepare and season it to make it memorable. Do you have any ideas on doing a "BEEF CHOICE BOTTOM ROUND ROAST"? a little short of 2 KG? Thinking of doing in a cast iron dutch oven?
                Hey everybody! Don't get so damn excited all the time!
                This was meant as a compliment to cobpaul that his design is similar to a manufactured oven--but it is also close to a "greenegg" as well--no chimney --just an oven!

This was not meant for the manufacturer to take it literally either. LittleBritaly--you know your history of making ovens so you should not be so sensitive!

Maybe there is this lingering hostility between Ireland and England and vs versa...but I was told to keep politics out of this forum. The politics and hostility members of each group has is deep rooted and caused a lot of pain and suffering--lets keep this forum more like the UN. Don't want to worry about getting a bomb in my mailbox or being sniper shot while I driving somewhere!

I'm excited about Nashi-san's father's experience and what I can get out of his words. I am thinking on buying a recording device so that I can have a bilingual person give me an exact translation! I am trying to determine his age--he has to be a centarian plus several years!

Comment

Good Morning,
                  Just a quick note to say thank you to all members who have Forno Bravo's best interest at heart. Unfortunately, a member had violated our forum policy and was banned.

We really appreciate everyone's cooperation and look forward to more recipes and oven ideas!

Happy posting!

Comment

But you have different "rose colored glasses" when it comes to "homegrown ""SPAM"", that was my only point--but you decided to take it lightly as usual.
                    I have never put any links to the kit oven in question, I doubt that the members who have bought the kit oven and extol its virtues have either, Ben the owner and producer to my knowledge hasn't either.

Wheres the spam in congratulating someone on a good design idea?

Originally posted by cobpaul View Post
                    I will say that its a bit cheeky posting your link on FB, some might say you more than 1 username on this forum, trying to make a stir. Anyways Im sure mods can see i.p's and if this is the case we wont be seeing you for long!!
                    I agree whole heatedly, if the owner of the site refrains from putting ads on every page then members have no right to do so either.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have never put any links to the kit oven in question, I doubt that the members who have bought the kit oven and extol its virtues have either, Ben the owner and producer to my knowledge hasn't either.

Wheres the spam in congratulating someone on a good design idea?

I agree whole heatedly, if the owner of the site refrains from putting ads on every page then members have no right to do so either.
                      Spam, Spam and more Spam!

Do you know what the goal of advertising is?

-Product recognition - (the crew from downunder) - talking up a new kit!

-Pricing- a casual conversation mentions the price--but says it changes
                      because of options available.

-Name recognition--the establishments name is mentioned several times and continues to be mentioned.

-Putting a (face to a product), give the owner of the establishment an "easy to remember name", and talk up his good service and being "on top of the game".

Just because the owner of the establishment does not initiate the advertising campaign, doesn't mean it isn't advertising. It is ethically wrong to continue to do this! FB has a presence in your country, give them the business so they can continue to sponsor this forum!

If you cannot see this, it might be a case of selective blindness, nothing to do with the color of your glasses!

This is the second time I composed this message, first time it did not picked up .... maybe someone is censoring my posts!

Comment

This conversation is all very well chaps, but personally I'm still keen to see a photo of this oven in action at a market or fair somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                          This conversation is all very well chaps, but personally I'm still keen to see a photo of this oven in action at a market or fair somewhere.
                          I think all of us are keen to see it in action as well!

As Cobpaul was saying though, he needs to get a horse trailer--then figure a way to easily get the oven in and out for set-up. Sounds like a good idea, the trailer can also be used for stocking supplies, firewood--maybe have pizza fixins inside as well--Refrigerator etc, portable electric generator, lighting etc.

The trailer can have some great graphics painted on outside to grab the attention of the people! Or a sign saying--"Pizza factory in motion"--follow me to our next market--then use a magnetic sign to print on it the days event... in a washable ink--Change the destination as needed! Lots of free advertising!

Trailer is properly designed to carry a horse or two....should be no problem with a portable oven!! Just waiting for time and money to make it all possible!

Comment

It is ethically wrong to continue to do this! FB has a presence in your country, give them the business so they can continue to sponsor this forum!
                            You brought the kit oven up in the conversation, not me?

Mikku, look up the word troll, you tick all the boxes.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Now it is name calling, the description fits you to a tee when you add your in poor taste remarks instead of giving proper answers. Poster boy alright!
                              What is it? You cannot take criticism but sure can pass it out! Also have to have the last word!

Well this is my last word on this topic to you! I expect some wise crack answer in response...please prove me wrong!

Comment

Follow the instructions and we are all sweet...

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X