Modified 3G Masterly Tail Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modified 3G Masterly Tail Build

Um- the bricks are 3" not 4- same as a Pompeii, but with an extra 2" of cladding- as is recommended in the Pompeii plans. When I say extra thermal mass, I don't include the firebricks in that as it's 'extra'

You seem to be having a hard time comprehending what I'm doing. I don't know if you have a problem there or not, but it seems you just can't a grasp of what's going on.

I'm not intentionally trying to be rude or anything, and this is the last reply I'll make to you regardless of what you reply in return.

But- thanks for your input so far, but perhaps you time would be better spent helping someone else?

No hard feelings...
    -------------------------------------------
    My 2nd Build:
    Is here

Comment

Mitchamus,

From your recent pics it looks like you intend to build the vault on top of the end walls. This is recommended practice for a barrel vault in kiln building. If the end walls are outside the vault when it expands with heat it puts pressure on those end walls, pushing the them out.
      Although the temperatures we fire to are around half that of a kiln and the resulting expansion correspondingly less, the principle still applies for a WFO.

Dave
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi Dave,

The plans call for the vault arches to be built inside the back wall, rather than on top, but the whole vault is encased in 2" of reinforced concrete.

The rear wall bricks are just dry stacked, and not bonded to the vaults, so there can be a little bit of wiggle room there under expansion.

cheers,
        Mitch.
        My 2nd Build:
        Is here

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
          Hi Dave,

The plans call for the vault arches to be built inside the back wall, rather than on top, but the whole vault is encased in 2" of reinforced concrete.

The rear wall bricks are just dry stacked, and not bonded to the vaults, so there can be a little bit of wiggle room there under expansion.

cheers,
          Mitch.
          OK, follow the plans then.

Comment

Gudday
            I just thought I'd point out that brickies oven is not a dome but a barrel oven. It would be worth it to check it out. It is his secound oven and it makes an interesting read and you can figure out his position on ovens
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              Gudday
              I just thought I'd point out that brickies oven is not a dome but a barrel oven. It would be worth it to check it out.
              Hi Dave, yeah I've read his build - this is my second vault build as well.
              you can see some of my first oven pics posted in my photo album, but I never did a build thread on it or anything.

pics are here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...oven-pics.html
              My 2nd Build:
              Is here

Comment

OK so the bulk vault is done, all that is left to do is to close it in.

It came out ok, but for some reason, everyone decided to come and talk to me that day, and having been distracted, and with the stopping & starting - it is not as perfect as I would have liked it to be. One of the vault bricks slipped down a few mm and so doesn't line up with the rest.

I now have to decide whether to live with it, or to remove one of the vaults and fix it.
                It's not an easy job to fix, and will be quite awkward and time consuming to do.

Structurally it's completely sound, it's just an aesthetic thing. I could probably live with it... but you can see it, and it will probably annoy me everytime I look in there.

My 2nd Build:
                Is here

Comment

Last edited by Mitchamus; 12-04-2013, 03:50 PM.
                  My 2nd Build:
                  Is here

Comment

You can see the offending brick here.

Problem is - I didn't notice until I was finished.

I think I might be able to put the form back in, and chop out 3 to 4 bricks from the right side, and then re-lay them.

Cutting them out is going to be a PITA though, and I also risk ruining the rest of that row in the vault.

I was thinking I would cut the mortar out from the outside with a diamond blade on an angle grinder, and tap what's left out with an old flat bladed screw driver as a mortar chisel

Once most of it was out, then tap them each brick out from the inside with a hammer and wooden drift.

But with the form work back in there holding up the rest of the arch - it's going to be very hard to tap the first brick out from the inside.

I think it will annoy me too much to live with it though....
                    Last edited by Mitchamus; 12-04-2013, 03:51 PM.
                    My 2nd Build:
                    Is here

Comment

Would simply taking a grinder to that "slipped brick" work? If you grind the edge back so it's a smoother transition it will be much less noticeable. Especially when you close...you certainly won't be able to get the same look down the barrel when the front bricks & door/entry/landing are in place. It seems to me that your plan to "pop out" the offending brick is truly going to be the PITA you envision.

I know we all have those little things that bug us, but 10 minutes of grinding & an adult beverage would work wonders on the "bug". By the way, I think your barrel build looks fabulous! Looking at your first pizza on the hearth will also keep you from focusing on a little irregularity in the vault.
                      Last edited by SableSprings; 12-04-2013, 06:29 PM.
                      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Grinding it certainly would be a much easier option.

It doesn't look so bad in the photo - it looks much worse in real life
                        My 2nd Build:
                        Is here

Comment

Was there a reason you didn't stagger the joins on the vault?

Comment

You aren't really going to risk wrecking it all for that one brick, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
                              Would simply taking a grinder to that "slipped brick" work?
                              Yup. Feather out the lippage..no real need to remove it

Originally posted by david s View Post
                              Was there a reason you didn't stagger the joins on the vault?
                              It is always better to bond courses but it's not as critical for something like this.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                              John Ruskin

Comment

BTW, I like the radius of the arch.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                                John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X