• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Modified 3G Masterly Tail Build

any updates?

Comment

I'm still plugging away at the chimney.

Weather has been against me down there - it never got above 2 degrees last Saturday, with a wind off the range that definitely wiped the smile off your face!

I have only managed another 2-3 courses on top of what the last pics shows, and added in the thermal break betweeen the chimney and oven body (Perlcrete) - but no pics of that yet though sorry!
      Last edited by Mitchamus; 07-22-2014, 03:37 PM.
      -------------------------------------------
      My 2nd Build:
      Is here

Comment

ahhh i should have thought about that too.. i don't have any thermal break for my chimney... its pretty much rado's original mTo design...

Did you have chimney issues with your first build?

Comment

No issues structurally, but a few cracks in the render...
          My 2nd Build:
          Is here

Comment

nice build...on my 81 inch dome, I forgot the "crush" factor between the main thermal mass dome and the outer arch and cracked the shit out of the arch, when I fired it to over 1200 F
            Trying to learn what I can about flours, fermentation and flames...

My 81 inch first build; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ost-11354.html

My 52 inch mobile; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ing-20874.html

our FB page; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artys...20079718042660

Comment

hey windage thanks!

1200F - wow. I have been to 1000... but never 1200!!!

I have 4 days off to work on the oven this week - so hoping to get the chimney finished, and the oven front wall and outer arch all done.

It would be nice to get the framing done for the roof too - but I think I'm only dreaming...
              My 2nd Build:
              Is here

Comment

yeah, did it within the first week of firing..got a hold of some kiln dried red oak, white oak and hickory and over fired her...thought she was hot, took a temp shot...off the scale, hooked up a few of the buried temp probes to a reader....eeek!....1150, 1190, 1210, different points, pulled some wood out, bricked up the opening and hoped for the best. The dome swelled and pushed against the fixed parts of the outer arch, creating the cracks pictured in the build thread..thanks for watching, by the way...like your style
                Trying to learn what I can about flours, fermentation and flames...

My 81 inch first build; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ost-11354.html

My 52 inch mobile; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ing-20874.html

our FB page; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artys...20079718042660

Comment

Originally posted by windage View Post
                  pulled some wood out, bricked up the opening and hoped for the best.
                  wow... I've never thought about what you do when they get too hot...

what you did is all you could do I suppose!... doing anything else (like quenching) and you risk thermal shock and worse cracking!!
                  Last edited by Mitchamus; 08-25-2014, 03:22 PM.
                  My 2nd Build:
                  Is here

Comment

here is some more progress, Didn't get as much done as I wanted too, but also got to spend a day in the mountains which was fantastic and very much needed!

poor pic of the perlcrete thermal break:

Chimney transition going up...

Starting the chimney proper:

up she goes:
                    My 2nd Build:
                    Is here

Comment

Chimney back

Some of the more perceptive of you will see the old clay bricks I had to use because I ran out of commons.

I think I'll make the chimney another 2 blocks higher than this.
                      I want a tall chimney!

random mountain pic...
                      Last edited by Mitchamus; 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM.
                      My 2nd Build:
                      Is here

Comment

Mitchamus,

How'd your build going?

Gi

Comment

No more progress unfortunately.... Too busy with other unimportant shit

I really want to get the opening archway finished, so I can complete the front wall and get the oven vault sealed off from the weather.

it's hard to get an accurate idea of how the oven's going to perform with no roof or insulation in it! Every time I fire it - I'm driving out some sort of moisture.

I still have to pour the prep-bench top also. I need to do this so I can give back my neighbours cement mixer that I've had for over a year!

I did notice a little smoke escaping from the dome last time I fired it on the right hand side.. so I will have to plug that with some mortar.

It's a busy time of year at the farm... tending to the orchard... starting to spray for pest weeds etc.. burning off / hazard reduction..
                          My 2nd Build:
                          Is here

Comment

Mitch,
                            I like your style. Have you had any opportunity to work on the oven?
                            The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Out of interest where about is your property in the Snowies? Planning on moving down there eventually. Beautiful spot!

Our American friends talk alot about ground freeze...Do you have any issues where you are?

Bert
                              Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Hi Bert - We are at a place called Ingebirah about 20mins south west of Jindabyne. No issues with ground freeze....
                                My 2nd Build:
                                Is here

Comment

Working...
                                X