mobile deconstruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cnegrelli View Post
    David - what is it you did with the front face of the entry of your new oven? Tile?

I am struggling with how to finish that part of my enclosure. I plan to stucco mostly, but I need to understand how exactly to bring the outer shell up to that front face. I'm thinking to bring the cement board flush with that face, and then render over it with stucco or tile. But that would seem to imply adding lath to the front face, meaning I have to drill holes into the casted piece of art!
    Am I on or off track here?
    Yes, It's polished concrete. The stones are flattish and placed into the mould which is backfilled then polished after demoulding and curing. There are so many ways to decorate the front. Here's a really easy one (pic) using slate, I was working on yesterday. I cast 8 wire ties into the casting to assist tying into the outer shell (look carefully and you can see two on the right hand side).

Texman: sorry I missed your question. I use Calderys Castflo 1450 ARG which is a proprietary calcium aluminate castable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P7010453.jpg Views:	1 Size:	274.4 KB ID:	399226
    Last edited by david s; 06-30-2017, 05:29 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

looks good

Comment

Hi David, thanks for posting these photos. Question regarding insulation of the flue gallery area: I know you cast the flue gallery as a separate piece. When assembling your ovens, do you insulate around the outside of the flue gallery? Looks like maybe a layer of vermicrete was applied; if so, was that directly onto the casting (no lath)?

Comment

Yes, 10:1 vermicrete, no lathe.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            His thread on the new oven says polished concrete.
            I can't seem to find this thread.. link?

Comment

Working...
            X