Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sergetania View Post
    Mullster Thanks!
    Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping for. A vcrete layer and then paint over with a waterproof coat. Do I need anything on top of the vcrete before waterproofing? Won't it work? I have no idea hence I have asked.
    Vcrete is going to be pretty porous. I recommend stucco over your vcrete, then finish and seal your stucco. Note, no cement product is waterproof, however stucco is more water resistant than vcrete.
    - George

My Build
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

George,

Is being porous the only reason why I need the stucco layers? In order to seal the vcrete? This product recommended by david s in one of his posts is 100% waterproof so it should do the job and no stucco is needed

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...29IE922V&psc=1

Is David around? Trying to figure this out. Thanks!

Comment

George,

Is being porous the only reason why I need the stucco layers? In order to seal the vcrete? This product recommended by david s in one of his posts is 100% waterproof so it should do the job and no stucco is needed

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...29IE922V&psc=1

Is David around? Trying to figure this out. Thanks!
        If it's recommended applied over vcrete then by all means go with it and save yourself some work.
        - George

My Build
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...mente-ca-build

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo View Post

If it's recommended applied over vcrete then by all means go with it and save yourself some work.
          That's what I have been trying to find out. It should stick and waterproof. What else do I need? It would be nice if I could skip the stucco. Especially the brown coat! It just doesn't sound good
          Last edited by sergetania; 09-04-2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Done with the facade. Glued the tiles to the bottom of the form with silicone. I will need to figure out how to get the silicone of the tiles. I should have used something else. Do I love the look? I think it is decent and hopefully will get better when dry, clean of silicone and framed with the outer layer.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20200905_131927_HDR.jpg Views:	16 Size:	335.7 KB ID:	429869
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20200905_163727.jpg Views:	8 Size:	312.9 KB ID:	429870
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20200908_182124.jpg Views:	9 Size:	396.6 KB ID:	429871
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_104715_HDR.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	429880
            Last edited by sergetania; 09-10-2020, 08:21 AM.

Comment

How does this look? I think the wire holds it down well enough.

Shall I start the curing fires or wait till the outer layer is in place? Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	20200912_170032_HDR.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	795.7 KB
ID:	430028

Comment

How does this look? I think the wire holds it down well enough.

Shall I start the curing fires or wait till the outer layer is in place? Thanks!Click image for larger version  Name:	20200912_170032_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	795.7 KB ID:	430028
                If you mean putting the flue in place first and then firing I think it could be ok - personally I also got the vermicrete layer on top of the blanket too before starting.
                My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

The outer arch looks nice. I’d attack the silicon with a stiff scrubbing brush then grout the tiles with a black grout.
                  most builders use a 10:1 vermicrete or perlcrete over the blanket to restore perfect hemisphere and to provide a firmer substrate to render onto for the final outer shell. I like to drive out excess water after vermicrete layer but before outer tendered shell.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mullster View Post

If you mean putting the flue in place first and then firing I think it could be ok - personally I also got the vermicrete layer on top of the blanket too before starting.
                    Yeah, I guess I would need a flue

Comment

david s Thanks! Missed you - hope everything ok!?

David, not sure you have seen a discussion above. I am planning to waterproof with elastomeric flashing sealant
                      ​​​​​​​ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SIB2JI..._iaExFbEW59BBB
                      over the vcrete layer (with breather) skipping the other render. Ok or bad idea? I may need to smooth out the area around facade but otherwise, why do I need to do stucco all over vcrete? Thanks!

Comment

Sorry, been out of action, in hospital for the last 4 weeks. A nasty staf bug got into my blood, attacked my aorta valve flicked off some bits to my brain causing minor eyesight problems and major back pain. Open heart surgery to replace valve and long term antibiotics to kill bug, hopefully going home next week. To answer your question, some folk have rendered against blanket successfully, but it is quite springy and not a good substrate to work against, resulting in inconsistent outer layer thickness. A layer of vermicrete over the blanket can restore a perfect hemisphere, evening out the lumpy blanket and giving you a nice firm substrate to work against.

Comment

David, very sorry to hear about the health issues! Sounds really nasty! Glad to have you back and wish you the fastest recovery!

Sorry, I was not clear. Definitely doing a vcrete layer but want to skip a stucco layer(outer render) and just paint the vcrete with flashing sealant. Good or bad idea?

Comment

Maybe you can skip the stucco, I just like a nice strong outer shell. It is after all just protection for the inner oven.

Comment

In that case a mix of 3:2:1 vermiculite, sand, cement should be sufficient. I’d be choosing fine grade vermiculite

Comment

David,

Sorry,are you saying I should be using 3:2:1 mix instead of 10:1 vcrete for the 2" layer on top of the blanket? I thought I could do 10:1 2 inches vcrete painted with the flashing sealant. What is the 3:2:1 mix for? Sorry about being confused!

Comment

Working...
                                X