No announcement yet.

30" cast dome design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practically done. My son was a huge fan of Thomas the Tank Engine... he says there is certainly a resemblance

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201010_160057_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	533.8 KB ID:	431560
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20201013_114039.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	431577
    Last edited by sergetania; 10-13-2020, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• I don't remember who it was but thank you for the warning! Here is a teeth protection. I hope that pipe does not get too hot!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201012_175904.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	431562

Comment

• While everyone is watching TV...Click image for larger version

Name:	20201015_193029.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	431697

Comment

• Congratulations - looking very good!! Hope you are enjoying it
          My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

• As I am starting to use the oven I am seeing a couple of cracks appear. One in the stucco where it connects to the facade of the oven. This must be normal, stucco and facade are heated to different temps and expand differently. Another is in the base of the oven and stucco above one of the rear legs. I have seen a video (Melbourne fire brick company?) where the guy said it is kind of normal as well. I will try not to worry about it. Is this normal? Thanks!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201017_204617.jpg Views:	0 Size:	355.1 KB ID:	431773

Comment

• I’ve seen lots of cracking in ovens where the outer shell meets the outer decorative arch and while this may appear to be normal I think there are things that can be done to eliminate or reduce the cracking. I think the problem is the temperature difference and therefore the different thermal expansion between the inner parts of the oven and the outer parts(outer shell and decorative arch). In my own design I use an insulating mix for the inner half of the decorative arch as well as providing an expansion gap between flue gallery and outer decorative arch. This allows for expansion without the inner oven parts placing stress on the outer cooler parts. This seems to eliminate the problem as proved many times. If cracks appear in an oven they are of little consequence although may provide entry for water if the oven is out in the weather. A flexible acrylic coating over the render will cover and bridge small cracks and I also recommend this unless the oven has a roof over it.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• David, thanks! I do have an expansion gap between the inner entrance casting and the facade(like in your pictures) but still facade gets quite hot and the stucco does not. I am a bit more worried about the crack in the base but if you say it is of little consequence I will worry less. It's not like I can do anything about it anyway. I hope I should be able to cover the cracks with the flex acrylic coating after the oven dries a bit more to prevent water seeping through like you said. Thanks again!

Comment

• In 10 years time when your oven is still cranking out pizzas as good as ever and the crack is still there, but no worse, you’ll hardly give it another thought. Remember there are two kinds of ovens, those that have cracks and those that have owners who lie about their ovens having no cracks.

Comment

• David, given that you are always right when it comes to ovens I will stop worrying. I guess the crack is a sign that I have used the oven.

Comment

• A badge of honour.

Comment

• It is now official - it is a pizza oven!!!!

Thin-crust Bari-style pizza, not the fashionable Neapolitan, but pizza nevertheless! Turned out pretty good (except the very first one - you can see the remnants of the first pizza on the oven floor - always a good sign! )
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20201018_172722.jpg Views:	0 Size:	675.4 KB ID:	431833
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20201019-WA0000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	356.9 KB ID:	431834
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20201018_181940.jpg Views:	0 Size:	304.8 KB ID:	431835
                        Last edited by sergetania; 10-18-2020, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• David,

Do you think the oven is now dry enough for me to apply the acrylic flashing sealant? The stucco is accumulating soot and bird droppings and it is not the best surface for cleaning. Thanks!!!

Comment

• Great job on your oven Sergei! I'm glad to see you enjoying pizzas now (and very good looking ones I might add ). Since your oven has gone through the curing process and is obviously clearing completely, I can't imagine why you couldn't put on the acrylic sealant now. And yes, we all have made a sacrifice to the pizza gods...most often it's the extra loaded pizza toppings that hit the back wall when the pizza is "loaded with zeal" into the oven.

(When I have purchased a car, I've always wanted it to be as close as possible to the color of dirt...so the birds would ignore it...)
                            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Great job. The first pizza is never the best. A bit like the first pancake. Usually the floor is way too hot so cook it partially in the oven, partially in the entry. subsequent pizzas can be pushed further in, always maintain a live flame on the side. I see you've discovered the technique of preheating wood in the entry for maintaining the fire.

I'd say you can add the final acrylic sealant by now. The problem can be that moisture trapped in the outer shell layer can create blistering under the acrylic layer, but you should be good to go now.

And put a cowl on top of the flue pipe.
                              Last edited by david s; 10-19-2020, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Thank you, Mike and David! I have tried and it was fun!

Love them birds, droppings is a small price to pay... Right until it's not so small.

From the experience, I am always worried when the first one turns out great! It leaves no room for improvement!

Comment

Working...
                                X