George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Re: 42" Oven

You just made me sooooo sad! It looks so much beeter then mine

Comment

Just finished the 5th course and polished up the arch. Man, the courses start taking longer now that gravity is having its way. Any suggestions on keeping the brick from falling as I'm laying it? The tool works but only so much. Here are some pix.

Comment

You are mortaring the brick so my approach of hot melt glue will not work. You need to use more "tools" or build some quarter veins to hold more brick at the same time. You are seeing a problem at this level - trust me, it gets WAY worse at level 9 plus. You could stay the course and just give it time and enjoy the build.

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hey Les

Isn't hot glue more of a women's tool? My wife uses it all the time. Now Duct Tape thats the real handy mans fix all!

This is what I have been worrying about too, since I only get to work on my oven 2-3 days a month. I've been thinking about making some internal forms that will help support the brick.

Comment

I wish there was an easy clamp (similar to the one I made my tool out of) that was bigger and could somehow fit over the brick. Then I'd buy about 5 of them and use them. It seems that by the time I'm on number 6 that the previous ones have set enough to hold. But, it's definitely something to think about BEFORE mixing your precious HeatStop 50. It must've been something hilarious for my wife and neighbors to catch a glimpse of me frantically trying to keep the bricks up, at the same time trying not to let the mortar set in my pail...ha.
                Last edited by doobie dee; 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Have the wife and kids come out and hold the bricks. Make it a family project.

Comment

Started the transition...what a handful! I found that if I lay two brick, support them with a piece of wood, go and cut two brick, mix the mortar for the two brick, that the two that were laid are set enough to lay the next two. It goes much quicker than it sounds. Here are some pix to show what I mean. Starting to actually look like a pizza oven.

Comment

Looking good!

Gary

Comment

good idea with the wood

Comment

Done with the trickiest part so far...the transition. But, I would hate to see this oven crumble down on itself if it wasn't done correctly. It doesn't look pretty, but will take the handy grinder to it to pretty it up a bit before going on to the final courses. If you see something that I don't let me know so I can fix it...thanks, friends.
                          Last edited by doobie dee; 07-28-2010, 07:33 AM.

Comment

cool pics of kids

Comment

Been slacking on my oven...we had a baby a couple of weeks ago! Finishing up the oven one course at a time. Here are some updated photos. Meant to finish the oven this past weekend until my friend ask for his tile saw back...no pizzas for him and the family down and out for the 4th with the stomach flu. Anyhow, hope to finish the dome this week so I can start curing next week.

Comment

Finished the dome today. Here are some pix...

Comment

Working...
                                X