• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Oven

Looks Great.

Comment

I'm starting to cure the oven. I don't have the insulating blanket on yet. Should I have put that on before I started? Also, may be a dumb question but where do I measure the temp? I have one of those dual temp gauges (probe for the meat and probe for the smoker) in the oven and also a laser temp gauge. As I was doing the initial fire with paper only, the top of the oven was going to about 250 while the rest of the oven was slowing rising. I was able to get the dual gauge up to about 170 degrees and started noticing a crack in the arch, but nothing inside, so I stopped for the day. Can anyone help with whether or not I should insulate first, and also where to measure the temperature? Thanks friends.

Comment

I would insulate before the final firings. You may not be able to fully saturate the bricks with heat without the insulation and the mortar may not cure evenly.

Comment

I finished the outer arch and used a leftover piece of Isokern (precast outdoor fireplace) for the transition from the arch to the clay flue. Very pleased, as this is what I used for the Brazilian BBQ/Smoker that's next to the pizza oven. Here are some pix.
          Also, I'm continuing slowly with the curing fires. I'm up to 400 degrees today and still only the one hairline crack on the top of the inner arch.

Comment

Finished curing fires...had our first pizza night last night. WOW! The pizza comes out better than the supposed Italian Pizza places in town. We have yet to perfect the dough...I ordered a digital scale like suggested. I had a little heat loss because I haven't poured the Vermiculite on top of the dome yet. The insulating blanket worked to keep enough heat. I had the oven above 900 degrees...it's crazy to see the bricks get white.

The high heat left a hairline crack up the clay flue. IS THAT ANYTHING I SHOULD FIX or should I just put refractory mortar over the crack? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Now I'm building up the walls, in hopes that I'll get to the roof this weekend. Pictures to follow.

Comment

Trying to figure out the roof, where to place the lights, etc.

Comment

Here are some updated photos...roof is actually finished, and I'll post those pictures soon. Trying to finish the concrete counters, stucco and facia stone before winter hits.

Comment

nice, real nice

Comment

Hi all

how many fire bricks can one estimate for a 42" dia dome oven.

just got a better price on some used firebricks and now is the time to buy.

many thanks

Marc

Comment

I beleive the plans available on this site call for 220....if you don't make any errors. I am currently at about 240.

Gary

Comment

This is a really nice looking oven and something that I hope to be able to do. Could you elaborate on how you created the offset in your inner arch? Did you notch single splits or are there two rows of the splits with the outer one being set higher than the inner?

You don't have any addtional pictures posted on a photo sharing website that you could link me to do you?

Comment

Almost done...finally. Just have a finish (Old World) stucco coat for the Brazilian Oven and have to pick out a rock for the top of the chimney. Everything else...DONE!

Comment

Very nice...

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

We have not had a Best of the Month in a while (as far as I know), but I nominate that oven...very nice! I love all the counter space on the left and the fireplace too!
                                My Oven Thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
                                X