Sydney Construction Has Started!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney Construction Has Started!!

Ok guys I am a serious desk jockey so this is going to be a very trying experience I am sure.

I started last week and have already laid the slab so things are going well. The slab is 2m X 3 M so should be enough room for a 1m internal Pompeii from all the reading I have done. I have laid the slab half way up the back yard out of the way and was going to leave it as a dome shape because I like the look but I have read today that leaving a dome open to the elements can cause the oven to crack after rain due to water ingress into the bricks? I know I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet so I thought I would ask your advise?

Re: Sydney Construction Has Started!!

Congratulations on getting started JD. Your soft hand will soon harden up after laying a few bricks, then soften up during the week while at your desk ready for the next weekend!

My oven in Newcastle is a rendered dome because, like you, I liked the look of that better. The render has a final coat of oxide, cement & waterproofing and my oven is not showing any signs of water penetration in spite of the wet winter we have had so far.

Paul
    Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
    (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Thats good new

I had been thinking about it and if it was a problem a mozaic tile over the dome would for sure stop water ingress. But I can't lay bricks let alone start learning how to tile.

Comment

Next question is there any right or wrong door arch sizes? I was thinking the wider and higher the door arch the better for access.

Edit ; My apologies if these questions are stupid or have been asked before
        Last edited by JD07; 08-11-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JD07 View Post
          Next question is there any right or wrong door arch sizes?
          Yes, Definitely Yes there are many wrong door sizes. You should start here

Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven

before going any farther. You can download the oven plans for free and they contain a veritable wealth of information..including optimum door size.

In addition, use the search function in the forum. When you search for entry arch, door size, etc you will find that the forum has done all of your research for you. Almost all of the possiblilties have been tried and the current oven plans are the distillation of many experienced builders hands on trials.

Don't hesitate to ask questions however. We would prefer a question and a good oven build to ignorance and a poorly performing oven.

Welcome to the addiction

Bruce
          Last edited by brokencookie; 08-11-2010, 11:38 PM. Reason: fat fingers
          Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Thanks I tried to download the plans but got lost in the process several times.

Not sure where I went wrong I thought it would download but it told me it was processing? Are they sent out in an e-mail?

Comment

OK found the plan link e-mail in my junk folders!! I am reading with rapt attention.

Ok so I have the slab completed and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the base done. I have used a base that is 3m X 2m so that I will have plenty of bench space beside my oven. I must say that once the base started to take shape I am now realizing how big that will actually be. Oh well its half done now so no turning back at least at this stage.

I hope to complete the base and lay the suspended slab this weekend., I have a schedule to keep to and am hoping I can have the oven functioning before the end of September for my daughters first birthday party. Given I am only working on this weekends and have never before laid a brick I think its going to be a long shot for completion.

Comment

Well it got even better on the weekend my brother inlaw and father inlaw came over for lunch. I call them the inspectors!! Needless to say they were not impressed with the size of the build and some of my internal brickwork. My thoughts were if its going to be under a slab who's gunna see it right? Wrong!!!

So I have the base built and will be hopefully poring a slab this weekend and then the real fun starts.

Here a couple of photo's

First the slab

Comment

So yesterday the construction of the man porch started

The dog was not impressed.

Comment

Sweet the form work for the suspended slab and the bench space have been completed I just need to chuck in some reo and pour the tops and I am ready for the construction of the oven to start. The rafters and beams are up for the awning over the deck and hopfully the roof will be complete by the end of the week as well.

I do have one question,,, I have noticed that the pier I built on the right of the hearth slab is serving no real purpose, how would I go about cutting this out of the base? Would I just need to build a pier on the inside in the corner under the slab and then take to it with a diamond blade?

Comment

Ok we are getting close, I have the top slab done and the oven ordered.

Comment

Hi JD

Thanks for the link. Great start and some good looking brickwork so far. Love the bricks, they seem to be similar to mine only with more browns and reds! What type of oven are you going to build? Size, shape? Keep up the good work and keep those photos coming.

Cheers
                        John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Well the oven arrived last weekend but I didn't get anything done due to the other projects. I am going to cut out my arches this weekend and then its on like donkey kong this weekend.

Just leaving work to by the tiles for the dome and bench tops now.

Comment

Wow you're off to a good start!

Whats the kit like? Size, bricks, accessories and cost? I saw they mention a kit on their website but no other information. You have the kit from Field Furnace right?

Comment

Mate yep it's from Feild Furnac they will make up a kit for whatever style oven you want to build. They know what they are doing and are very helpful.

Should have the bricks laid by the end of the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X