X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sydney Construction Has Started!!

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    How do you cheat physics and gravity.

I haven't logged on in a while since I got cooking and am a little surprised about the lateral support issue, How long till I should expect to have problems? Its been a few months and no cracks in the flue arch or chimney have occured should I be concerned?

I have noticed one thing though, I made a sandwich construction door for the oven with 1500 degree fire blanket in between the 3 mm plate. However if I build a big fire for a few hours and then sweep out the coals and embers I am finding the thermometer is only reaching loww 100 degree celcius??? The walls are 200% or so but the internal temp will not raise over 120. It retains temp well with the temp the next morning only dropping 30*. However I would like to do a full lamb and have already made the tray but I need 160 min for 4 hrs to do a whole beast. I dont want to undercook it, 180 for 3 hrs would be better.

Is there a trick to firing the oven and getting the heat into the refractory bricks??

Comment

I will post some completions photos tomorrow along with some photo's of my door.

Comment

[QUOTE=JD07;106430]I am finding the thermometer is only reaching loww 100 degree celcius??? QUOTE]

Where is the thermometer located and are you checking the temp with the door closed?

I assume you dont have thermocouples in the floor and walls to check the stored heat?

The floor temp should be much higher than the air temp and if the baking tray is directly on the floor it would conduct this higher temp.

Another option is to leave some coals in there.

Comment

Saw this arch at ruins in Oppede le Vieux, a pretty much deserted fortified medieval town in southern France. Just about everything around the arch has fallen apart but the arch remains standing.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David,

Thanks for sharing. Obviously, there is some significant buttress mass on either side of this arch. Do you recall the approximate arch of the span?

John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
              Obviously, there is some significant buttress mass on either side of this arch.
              Thats what keeps arches up, sideways thrust on the lower members.
              Auroville Earth Institute, training courses, workshops on Vaults, Arches, Domes(VAD), stabilized rammed earth walls, compressed earth blocks, vaulted structures, compressed stabilised earth blocks, rammed earth.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The span was about 1.5 m, but it shows how well cut pieces will stand the test of time, earthquakes, siege, weather etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JD07 View Post
                  I haven't logged on in a while since I got cooking and am a little surprised about the lateral support issue, How long till I should expect to have problems? Its been a few months and no cracks in the flue arch or chimney have occured should I be concerned?
                  From looking at your pictures you have about 300kgs of weight sitting on top of a single skinned arch and no sideways support, without sideways support arches fail.

Your guess as to when it will happen is a good as mine, it may take ages.
                  Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-23-2011, 02:44 PM.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hey guys I will post this in another section as well but after a successful first few years I am finding it increasingly hard to get the dome and floor up to temp? Fired for 2hrs today and the dome only got to 180 degrees?.???

Comment

Fired for 2hrs today and the dome only got to 180 degrees?.???
                      What kind of temperatures was it reaching. I have yet to put fire in mine but I got the impression that > 500 degrees Celsius was easily achieved. Somebody here must have a suggestion - or did you get an answer elsewhere? Could it be water getting in somehow?
                      Amac
                      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Sounds like your oven is wet. It takes a lot of energy to push out the water. Just continue to fire slowly and it will dry out and fire as good as it used to.

Comment

With one of the wettest summers I can remember in Sydney, I wouldnt be surprised if water has managed to soak into the oven.
                          Regards,

Bruno

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...hen-18538.html

Comment

Working...
                          X