Home Slice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home Slice

David - did you go with the 2 or 2.5 inch thickness? I would assume that more is better.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I used the 2.5 inch stuff, it comes in smaller blocks than the super-isol. I didn't have much choice, I bought it from overstock from a refractory dealer in South Jersey,Kraemer Gunite Innovation & Performance Since 1974. It might be worth a call to see if they have any more: It was a lot less than HW charged.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'm forming out my vent currently, and think i have the solution sussed.. I'm going to build an acceptor plate into my cast vent, and suspend a metal chimney from two mount points.. What are the advantages to using a product like the duratech chimney available here on the site, instead of the cheap product available at the dreaded home depot?

Comment

I'm using the Duratech chimney, well built easy to attach, STAINLESS STEEL
          (Depot doesn't carry any stainless chimney components). I'm using the dual wall pipe, with a raging 'scary' fire - you can still touch it. It does get hot, but you won't get burned unless your trying to (holding you hand on the base of the chimney). I am quite happy with the choice. After the slabs, base, and never ending cutting if firebrick, it was nice to have straightforward installation of something. I was happy to NOT be cutting and mortaring bricks for a chimney...not to mention the several flu liners I have read about cracking......no issues with the Duratech pipe.

RT

Comment

I think RT has that right. Duratech gets hot on the inside, so it draws well and won't let any "stuff" build up on the inside, and it stays cool on the outside, which is good if you ever get close to it -- and it doesn't expand and contract and crack your stucco finish. It's nice stuff.

I used the cheap single wall steel pipe on my Via Vacciano oven, and it really wasn't good. I patched the stucco a couple of times, then gave up. It just kept cracking at the chimney.

James
            Last edited by james; 06-14-2007, 05:05 AM.
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

O.K. being that we're doing the recycled and free thing, hows this sound? We install a regular six inch flue, chickenwire it then slide an eight incher over the top and fill the void with perlite concrete.. Or loose perlite even.. Think that would insulete it efficiently enough to render the outside with stucco and pennies?

Comment

pennies??? I love it.

I will warn you, time consuming as hell. I am finally completing my mosaic tile on my dome.....those small pieces are a pain in the butt.

The last penny mosaic I saw was a mid 70s Buick, he did a half assed job, but seeing that many pennies plastered all over it was pretty cool and funny.

RT

Comment

I wouldn't use loose perlite - when the cheap inner pipe begins to erode your insulation will start to fall out. I guess you could consider wrapping a cheap pipe with chicken wire and then perlcrete - I worry about it crumbling when the inner pipe erodes, but less than loose perlite. If you want cheap, you can't do better than flu tile, but then weight is an issue for your suspended vent. For outside it's certainly ok to have flu tile without a surround to try to reduce weight. Interesting problem when you combine your plan with donated materials. Someone will have a brighter answer than mine...

Comment

Originally posted by redbricknick View Post
                    O.K. being that we're doing the recycled and free thing, hows this sound? We install a regular six inch flue, chickenwire it then slide an eight incher over the top and fill the void with perlite concrete.. Or loose perlite even.. Think that would insulete it efficiently enough to render the outside with stucco and pennies?
                    Hey,

You are just talking about the flue right? Do you mean chicken wire it just at the base where it attaches or cover the whole 6" flue prior to putting the 8" over it?
                    http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

I'm not sure I'd put anything copper on anything outdoors nowadays.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

hasn't been much copper in pennies since pre 1983. I believe the copper content has only been 2.4 percent since 83.
                        Of course most thiefs probably don't know that, they're just seeing the potential $$$.
                        I just read somewhere that at the current value of copper (at the time the article was written), pre 1983 pennies are actually worth 1.45 cents. Those pennies had a copper content of 95%. Sorry to bore anyone with the "fun facts"

RT

Comment

Hmm. Thievery.. Is that why you wouldnt put anything copper outdoors? Hadn't occured to me.. Nice point and well taken if thats what you meant.. If not, i am eager to hear any other reason why.. There is a chit chat thread about pennies which is very interesting.. We originally wanted to do the mosaic tile deal also, but opted for pennies as it seemed to fit well with our not spending a penny oven.. I reckon it'll look cool too. As far as the time, i believe that if it's done in a pattern, it wont take the hot models long to finish it.. I lifted a flue tile up at the masonry yard today... Bloody heavy.. I searched the junkyard for stainless flue to no avail.. (bartering is allowed in our build, so long as we didn't pay for what we barter) Hmm. rotting interior flue liner huh? Gonna make it difficult.. I was talking about a nine foot chimney, independently suspended.. insulated the whole way. Any other materials i should consider? Plated?

Comment

Nick, stay with the penny idea...its gonna look cool.
                            Thievery is the only issue I can think of. Copper theft is a huge problem here in FL. Guys are stealing copper lines from working/running AC units of homes and office buildings with people right inside. Tampa Electric has reported huge thefts (and several deaths) from theft at several substations. Idiots are getting elctrocuted cutting 'hot' high power lines.
                            I'm amazed at you progress with donated/bartered items. You must have a tremendous source network. If you can't barter a Duratec pipe, what about sourcing scrap stainless steel and making your own? Of course someone would have to weld the seams.
                            You need light weight and corrosion resistance - sound like some sort of stainless with light weight insulation.

Comment

Yeah, I meant the theft thing. We've had people stealing anything not nailed down and a few that were. Drug addicts aren't always the most discerning, either.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                              [/CENTER]

Comment

So. I formed out the hanging vent. I took pics without all the rebar which is going to be in it.. Im going to criss cross a grid of stainless rebar in her, then pour a mixture of refmix and firebrick dust.. Im thinking of including stringers cut from left over pieces of firebrick too. The vent piece you see serves only as a form, and will go. It will be just refmix and rebar. Im going to attach a tube form to the vent piece, so the chimney will have a slot to fit into.. Your thoughts please.. Exactly how much crack am i smoking here? By the way, RT FLORIDA, your mosaic oven is fricken awesome. I've been looking for a place to post comments, but the photos section seems like a bit of a labrynth to me.. Anyway, im going to hold off on pouring this vent till i hear back. Thanks all..

Comment

Working...
                                X