Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Round shape

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
    I was referring to the out of round problem.
    So was I.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

A wild hypothesis if you will. (my head is full of them)

Please just imagine if you would an arch and dome with all the correct ratios, (63%) etc, the entry arch is the right height and width, the dome is the perfect size.
      But, you decide for some reason (only know to you) to put the arch 400mm further out, or in, (it doesnt really matter which way) to the dome.

The construction just wont work and come together or work as sweetly as it should without some major tinkering and engineering to get it all to marry up.

There is a dome to arch ratio and an arch to position in the oven that must be maintained to make it all work correctly.
      Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-12-2011, 12:09 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

-Hey guys, can't we all just get along?

-If you keep to the same opening size constraints as in the plans, and you push your arch to be inside the dome (mine was on the outside), a round shape dome will met the arch.
        - You have an excellent build Karangi Dude I was reading though it the other day.

Mike

Comment

Ok so I have been working these last few weeks here are some picks getting over the dome. (Not so easy, but I think thins are looking good.) It's hard to get stuff done and post sometimes sorry guys.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            It's hard to get stuff done and post sometimes sorry guys.
            Well thats just not good enough.....

I see you have some salt happening too on the outer oven?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

yea, I do have some salt on the outside. What does that mean?

Mike

Comment

The salt is probably no big issue unless it gets a lot worse.
                I the worst of cases it will make render and or bricks spall and flake off.

There was a thread on here somewhere and the salt was making the render on the outer dome fall off.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The teardrop actually looks really good in that photo taken from above. Nobody would ever know it wasn?t planned that way.

Great work overcoming the problem Mike, and now that you have spanned the arch it wil be easier (until gravity really kicks in).
                  Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Here is Row 8. I was trying to get things more round, not so easy but I think the next row will be seamless. At least now I won't get slowed down around the arch anymore, but the angles are getting bigger, so that will be the new challenge.

Here are a few Pics

Mike

Comment

Here are a few more with it finished.

Mike

Comment

I know I will never see this area again once the oven is done. I tried to see it by sticking my head in, and could only barely see it. Once the rest of the entry is in, I will be the only one how knows (except all of you guys). I wanted to round out the shape of the rows so when the top area is visible, the bricks will be in a circular pattern (without a teardrop).
                        This is the fun part right? Otherwise I would of bought a precast dome. It's the small imperfections that make it what it is, I like to call it rustic.

Mike

Comment

Otherwise I would of bought a precast dome. It's the small imperfections that make it what it is
                          Mike,
                          You nailed it. You are of the breed willing to pit the outcome of yetproven handcraft against a predictable prefab solution. In your case this includes problem-solving and an open mind. To me, this is exactly what drives this forum and yes, this is the fun part.

BTW- your 'imperfect' course adjustments above your arch (2nd pic in posts #121)
                          reflect great patience and tremendous hand skill.

John
                          Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 05-04-2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

The salt is called "Efflorescence". There are threads here that discusses it.
                            Last edited by Neil2; 05-05-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Do I need to do anything about this Efflorescence? Am I in big trouble? I did a search for this and people wash it off or use a vinegar rinse. once this drys out and fired up is my dome problematic?

Mike

Comment

OK- I got row 9 done today, getting closer to the top key stone.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X