Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Round shape

Hi Mike D,

Efflorescence is harmless to your oven. I just used a wire brush to knock off the majority of it and called it good. You can stress about it if you want and use vinegar or other chemical treatments to achieve cosmetic improvement. If you wait until the mortar and bricks are dry then you may only have to brush once.

Cheers,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      Do I need to do anything about this Efflorescence? Am I in big trouble? I did a search for this and people wash it off or use a vinegar rinse. once this drys out and fired up is my dome problematic?

Mike
      Sorry for causing alarm, in mild cases efflorescence will result in little damage, its if it gets a lot worse you need to act to remove it.

Its probably from the chlorine in the water.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. I was reading all those other posts and it was hard to tell what one was supposed to do. I had a tarp over it and that may have contributed to it (dew). I took it off a few days ago and it seems to be going away or not progressing. I'm almost done with the dome, so I will brush it off hard when its all done (before I put the blanket on).

Mike

Comment

Great job Mike. It looks like rows 10-11 will be quite vertical. I really like how you kept the rows vertical lines from aligning. That's hard to do. Can't wait to see your keystone and the dome closed.
          The inside brickwork is fine and the little efflorescence on the outside is nothing to worry about. We all have a bit of it. What's your plan for the keystone?
          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Mike, we are really neck and neck, I think you are about one row ahead of me now! Lovely brickwork too. I'm going out of town for a week tomorrow, so you should beat me to the keystone!
            My Build Thread

Comment

Thanks Trees, But my time is here and there on the oven. I have about 2 more rows before the key stone. We will all get there on our own pace. I wish I was going somewhere for a week, I need a vacation. Maybe when the oven is done, this project needs to be wrapped up.

Mike
              Last edited by Mike D; 05-10-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

this project needs to be raped up.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, interesting concept. You must really love your oven.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Sorry David for the spelling, but I do love my pizza oven, don't you.

Mike

Comment

Yes Mike , I think you're doing a fine job. Some folk love their ovens so much they give them a name.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

-What did you name your oven?
                      -Anyone else name their oven?

Mike

Comment

Hansel and Gretal.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Here is Row 10. I am getting so close, I think I can taste the pizza. This is getting really vertical.

Mike

Comment

Mike,

Nice brickwork! I think your final courses are as custom-fit and symmetrical as I've seen. Nice job getting back to round, too. You're almost there!

John

Comment

-Thanks John, I am doing my best. I have a bit of a perfectionist problem that is at it's peak right now.
                              -I am planing in doing one more row and then seeing if I need to do a plug or something of that nature.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike D, All,

When I got close to the top of my oven #2 I was happy to find that I could use a whole 9" brick with tapered ends for the middle of the plug. It is lightly tapped into place against the other bricks. The pieces on either side of it are not trimmed so nicely as others I've seen but I put them in anyway. They too are lightly tapped in and contact more at the top and sides. The interior of the dome got the mortar treatment but I am confident the dome is sturdy.

Nice work on your oven. I wish I had the patience and skill to do brick work as well as you.

I named my oven "Archie" and posted a photo or two on the forum. Look at my link for oven #2 below.

Cheers,
                                Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Working...
                                X