Round shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Round shape

Thanks Bob for the encouragement, I will take all I can get. My goal is to finish the dome this weekend. Cross your fingers for me.

- one more row and then I will be able to figure out how to plug it up.

mike

Comment

BEAUTIFUL work on your oven!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow!!!!!!!! Nice tight joints!
      Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
      Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
      Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

-Sooo Close. Did one more row, I think I am ready for a plug.

-How should I do it? I was thinking of cutting one piece to fit (or 2 actually mortared together, one on top of each other so you would not see a seam). I have a big piece of floor tile that I only used part of. Is that a bad idea?

-I have seen others mortar pieces together before they put it in as a plug, but I think they were all vertical ones sandwiched together (so you would see the seams).

-Any thoughts?

Mike

Comment

I finished the Dome! Yea that's right. Finnaly. I made two pieces and fit them as tight as possible. Now I get to move on to the Vent.

Mike

Comment

Nice neat fit from underneath..
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Nice job, Mike. Very clean upper courses and plug. This baby's gonna cook!

John

Comment

Thanks Brickie and and John, it feels great to get that dome done. I can't believe I did it.

Mike

Comment

Mike,
                  Very nice and clean work. Now on to the outer arch and vent. A whole new set of challenges. Everybody seems to do this stage a little differently but it always seems to work out ( well almost always). Great work, enjoy the process!
                  Eric

Comment

Yaaaa! Congratulations Mike. Nice shot of the finished dome from inside. Nice keystone too. I can see all the work you did grinding the edges and angles to make that plug fit in just right. It can all dry out now while you work on the arches.
                    -Dino
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Nice work Mike. Keep the updates coming.
                      Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

OK- lets keep things moving. How deep is the vent opening supposed to be? Would a half brick deep be enough. I have been looking at so many arches and vents it's crazy. Everyone does it differently. I am thinking of using a ceramic flue pipe, and have seen people cut them and do a lot of crazy stuff to them. I see most people say an 8" pipe is ideal or normal. My oven is about 39". I don't want my entry too deep, I was thinking of using a brick depth, then having a half brick opening to vent up. If a half brick depth is too shallow, would it make a difference if it was wide (like Les' flew).

- Any thoughts?
                        - And thanks for the cheers, guys.

Mike

Comment

A half brick will be too small, you really need 1x1 brick to stop the smoke finding the easiest way out which is the door entry.
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It's the area you end up with that's important. So if you want to go half a brick deep, then go two or preferably three wide. You should funnel the entry to the flue pipe so that the smoke has somewhere to gather. A shallow entry is waY easier to manage when cooking IMO.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

On second thoughts ahalf brick is probably getting too shallow for the size of your oven. Think of it a bit like those vacuum cleaner heads that are wide but shallow (even shallower than the pipe to which they deliver. This is my set up, the entry depth is the same size as the pipe diam. (5") but more than three times as wide.

Sorry, wrong pic
                              Last edited by david s; 05-24-2011, 04:27 AM. Reason: wrong pic

Comment

this is the one I meant

Comment

Working...
                                X