Round shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Round shape

-Started building the outer brick circle. Not as fast as I thought it would be, but that's what happens when you have control issues.
    -I was thinking of putting a layer of SBC on the inside of the decorative brick enclosure to give it an over all connection (I do live in earthquake country). Does anyone think that is a good idea or is it just me way over building this thing (I know I have a problem).

Mike

Comment

Looking good! What is SBC?

Comment

Surface Bonding Cement. It's like reinforced stucco. People dry stack concrete blocks and cover it with SBC and call it done.

Mike

Comment

I have heard of that...used with rasta block I think. If it gives you peace of mind, do it! Then give us some feedback after the next earthquake .

Comment

Hi Mike,
            Your plan seems sound to me. Looking good,
            Cheers,
            Dave
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hey Mike,
              SBC was really hard to apply (just because the instructions say it must be put on thin and it's a relatively dry mortar (?stucco like?) mixture that I would think it very hard to trowel on the inside of your outer enclosure. I had a difficult time putting it on my wood storage base interior and back of the oven block wall. It's great stuff, but to go thru the trouble of applying it where you don't see it for future earthquakes, I don't know how "bonding" the SBC can be for those situations. Would you apply it half way up and then when you enclose the dome, you can't apply it. any more for the upper portion. Was that your plan? If you already have the gallon jug of additive I'd go for it, it couldn't hurt.

Filling up the void with vermiculite is great option. You many inches of vermiculite will that be? Your dome is going to look great with that red brick finish.
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

-The SBC I have is in a bag like a stucco mix. I have seen it go on, and you have to wet the surface your putting it on first to help it stick. I was mostly trying to give the outer brick enclosure a little more connection (overbuilding it). It might be completely unnessassary, but I don't know what I'm doing anyway.
                -If we have a big earthquake I don't think the SBC is going to save it.
                -I am not completely sure how the top is going to end up, but the outer brick cylinder will only go up so high (depending on how it looks) and then I was going to put a stucco cap on top (over the blanket).
                -Here are a couple of pics of my progress (I feel like I'm building another oven)

Mike
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  -I am not completely sure how the top is going to end up, but the outer brick cylinder will only go up so high (depending on how it looks) and then I was going to put a stucco cap on top (over the blanket).)

Mike
                  If you could sculpt the cap on top to overlap and flair a little at its base you'll have a giant dick head- cool.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

What? That's not really what I'm going for.

Comment

Finished the the round brick! I think I am crazy. I had to cut the back corner off of every brick. Now I need to let is cure for a bit put the SBC on the inside and then put on the insulation.

Here are some pics

Mike

Comment

I've applied SBC over irregular surfaces using my hand as a trowel and smoothing over with a wet sponge. Applying on the inside of the brick housing shouldn't be difficult at all.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

FXPOSE, do you think it will help at all? Am I crazy for thinking I need it? As in is it necessary?

Comment

Mike, on second thought I personally would not use it on the inside of the brick enclosure as it will prevent moisture from escaping should there be any moisture buildup inside.

BTW, your build is looking great! I love that brick enclosure.
                            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Mike,

Great job, man! Your hemi-arch (my fave) really complements the symmetrical round shape. Nice brickwork - I bet you 99% of your pizza-munchers won't know how much work went into tapering these bricks. I really like the idea of a uniform volume of insulation all around your oven and the use of the SBC. Killer job, dude.

John

Comment

I like that look...very midieval . How will you cover it?

Comment

Working...
                                X