• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• christo
    replied
    Re: Christo's Cucina

Haven't posted in a while.

Still making finishing touches and planting. Things are looking better this year, still not quite getting the Charleston, SC vibe but working on it.

So what's up?

My wife gave me a bottle opener for christmas the year before we started the oven (during the extended planning stage = or maybe I was getting my courage up.... but I digress). That was 3 years ago.....

Last year I put the opener up but was tired of having to catch the caps. I had no idea what to call the little bucket underneath but knew I needed one - happened on some semi-circular galvinized planter things at a garden shop.

It works well and gets a lot of use!!!!

David private messaged me and told me it was a cap catcher. And sure enough, Google provides plenty of on line options for purchase. I hope I'm not the only one who did not know what they were called.

As an aside, I have a cap catcher for the little convertible - its a clip and cord gizmo that ties my hat to my shirt in case it's blown off. It does not work at all for bottle caps.

All the best! Christo

Leave a comment:

• aceves
    replied

Christo,

Your build is looking great! Almost done!! Or is there such a thing as "done" when it comes to WFO builds? Keep up the awesome work!

Cheers!

aceves

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Hey Christo!

This looks fantastic! You've done a great job on everything.

Your counter top should be there forever. The reason you probably haven't seen that application (sandwiching boards) is cost. In my years as a tile mechanic I would have probably used a layer of durock/hardi board, or a layer of PT ply on the bottom followed by galv mesh, and lastly 1.5"-2" of a portland cement/sand mud bed. That's the old school method; a little time consuming but inexpensive and strong as heck.

Congratulations on a superb outdoor creation.

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

More work on the outdoor kitchen - I think I'm finally finished with major constuction - all of the deck skirting is finished.

More to follow!

Cheers

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Looks really nice Christo,
    I say Mark is right-on: Call it "The Christo Counter Methode". You've done so many things on your build that I've copied and now I just may use your double-thick durock lamination for my short wfo front ledge.

We've been having disagreements (serious arguments ) over our wfo counter so that no progress is being made. We're each hoping the other caves in by year-end. With your nice counter pics, I may prevail .

Thanks again, Dino

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Lookin' good Christo,
    just in time for the Christmas celebrations eh?????

Neill

Leave a comment:

• trockyh
    replied

Hi Christo,
    Your outdoor kitchen looks great! Do you have pictures of it finished?

Tom

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Hi Christo,
    so I took two layers of 1/2 hardibacker and one layer of 1/4 inch hardibacker and laminated them together using modified thinset between them. They are also screwed together.
    I havent heard of that either, But it sound pretty solid to me... we can call that "The Christo Counter Method" Your build is looking great, looking forward to seeing the final pics, Im sure you are as well..... Though, I was almost sad when I finished my oven, Building was so much fun..

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

more pics. All down hill from here - just a bit of thinset and some grout separates us from finished countertops!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

No Fiber optics in the countertops. I abandoned the cast concrete countertop idea.

I have finished the subtrate for the tile countertops. I could not bring myself to use plywood with backerboard as the tile base, so I took two layers of 1/2 hardibacker and one layer of 1/4 inch hardibacker and laminated them together using modified thinset between them. They are also screwed together.

I looked around on the internet and have not been able to find this method being used, so there may be a reason why. So far so good, the substrate seems really strong at this point.

Also all the tiles were cut. The undermount sink was not so bad to cut for the tile - but was mounted in an unconventional way - the sink comes in through the top of the substrate and is sandwiched in place by the tile.

All the best,

Christo

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Granite tile countertops.

Bought parts from bedrock creations. They make something called kitchen in a box. The pieces they make are tiles, edges, corners and trim.

I bought their kit to cover both countertops for about $725 bucks including delivery.

Here's a pic of some of the parts.

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Great story about the chair backs!
    They look great, too, really comfy. Its all very beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

hey christo,,
    either way,, looks great,,, besides 2 coats are better then 1 Right ??

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Hi Mark,

Just finished up the sides of the steps in much the way you recommended - except I mortared up scrap brick pieckes and filled in the hole that way.

Relearned an important rule - do good work even if it's on the side of a stair... I randomly filled in vs. using a straightedge and making it good and flat from the start.

As a result it took 2 coats of stucco (render) to get it nice and flat.

W, as an EE as well - I know what you mean the electrical is never over! - I rented a hammer drill and drilled holes through my foundation over the summer to run low voltage and speaker wires out the back of the oven. I will be playing with that soon!

Looks like I'm getting a bit of white discoloration on the sides - I'm glad I have a bit of muriatic acid left (always wear googles gloves and any other gear you have when using ).

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Wlodek
    replied

Wow C.,
    This looks really comfortable (apart from stylish and in keeping with the rest of the project) and, as you put it, very secure (with over 30lbs of brackets ...). I like my guests to feel they won't topple backwards when raising a toast.

I have a few odd and ends left to do, mainly electrical/electronic, which seem to get postponed rather a lot. Possibly it has something to do with me being an electronic/control engineer. There is this saying in Polish about the cobbler who goes barefoot ...

Anyway, work calls.

All the best,
    W.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X