replied
    Re: Christo's Cucina

Absolutely fantastic work Christo!

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by g8rjoe View Post
    (Which makes me wonder if anyone has thought of a thread for the WFO Hall of Fame?)
    Funny, I mentioned it a few times while watching Frances finish her mosaics...no response.

But if their was a WFO hall of fame, you would be in it, Cristo.

Looks fantastic.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

thanks Amber and GreatrJoe!

I can't wait for warmer weather, either. Half my kitchen is color stuccoed and the other half remains gray. At least now it feels like it's small manageable projects here on out.

Joe - If I have anything that might qualify me as a hall of famer it is likely the length of this project!!! Took my inspiration from the oven below:

The two ovens still look a bit similar - but thats the nice thing about borrowing bits and pieces at the end your creativity and vision brings them all together into something unique.

So from the pic you can see why I never considered an angled roof -

My roof is recessed from the top edge by about 4 inches. I also have about 1.5 inches of pitch in mine from front to back. I also installed a curb made from leftover isoboard around the vent pipe.

All that is covered by a pond liner. We have had some real downpours with no issues (knock wood!). Water would have to be 2 inches deep to worry about going into the gap between the clay vent pipe and roof (that is sealed with hi-temp silicone as well).

As far as spousal support, it's been great. She hasn't been out there everyday with me, but when I needed her - she was always there for me. Could not ask for better than that.

Cheers

Christo

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Chris,

That look wonderful. I'm jealous of your snow, too! We've gotten everything insulated and weatherproofed, but we have to wait until it stops freezing at night for the final decorations. I have no hope it will be as lovely as yours, though! We did manage to get 2 large pieces of scrap granite for $25, though, and we're going to use those as side work areas. I can't wait for the warmer weather!

Leave a comment:

• g8rjoe
    replied

Christo,

My first look through the entire thread and I must say, you are a major pizzaiolo stud. You are on my list of WFO Heroes...a sort of WFO Hall of Fame. (Which makes me wonder if anyone has thought of a thread for the WFO Hall of Fame?)
    The weird thing is that I have very similar dreams of an outdoor area as yours. As if separated at birth. I've started my oven and it sits on a corner.
    The roof is one of my biggest concerns being here in Florida with the rain and such. Did you ever conside a pitched roof?
    Also, did you have good wife support? Mine has been good to date. If I don't hurry, my grace period may end.

Great job, Christo.

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Thanks Jim!

The niches are tucked into the space between the dome and the flared opening. Still had room for insulation - I used some small scraps of the cermaic insluation where I had any concerns - the niches run cool as a cucumber!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Those sconces should be a standard design element....very nice Christo! Good use of the space.

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Thanks - Progress is slow but satisfying!!!!

Dino - as far as the opening - I was actually going to leave you a PM on your opening..... I love the wide splay of the entry - allows me to see almost the entire inside of the oven and allows lots of manuvering room with the peel. I've never used a straight entry oven, so I can't talk much to knowing the difference.

Dimensions - 20 inch width at dome entrance; 27 inch width at decorative arch ; distance between outside edge of dome and outside decorative arch - 16 inches. I have a bit more than a brick and a half in my entryway. the 16 inches so far has worked out great - There is enough room to bake cookies there when the dome is still too hot.

You didnt ask but my dome is a bit more than 19 inches high and door is 12 inches tall.

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Yes, Christo, the whole look is coming together nicely! We just now looked over your entire building thread and it's like a great story. I was really interested in your oven landing which looks deep and wide. What is your vent-landing dimmensions? I just posted my thoughts on my build-thread that I was going to open up to 24" wide at the front and it would be 16-17" deep. How is your access working out?
    Thanks, Dino

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Thumbs up on the decorative niche. I think the little details make all the difference. Very nice.

Ahhhhh. Tool storage. Now there's a topic....
    James

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I can't believe you didn't make the niches just for those sconces!

It looks really good. Even all snowed under.

I'm still looking for a good tool storage thingy too- I keep going to the place that has the really ugly jar, but the store has the strangest hours I've even seen. The posted hours bear no resemblance to reality. At all. I don't know how they stay, well, I'd say "how they stay open", but that doesn't actually apply here...

Leave a comment:

• exceloven
    replied

Christo,
    Those sconces look great. Its amazing how great they fit, even the radius of the arch is perfect. Your project just keeps getting better.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

A little more progress.

I was christmas shopping for my wife and found some wall sconces I thought might work in the niches. They fit like I made the niches around them! (3/4 inch around on all sides)

They were not what I originally had in my mind when I built the oven enclosure but are starting to grow on me. One more thing off the punchlist! As you can see from the pics - I seriously need some tool storage - the flue tile I was using finally finished cracking in half.

We had a bit of snow here this week, so I've also attached the now obligatory pic of the oven in snow. Snow seems to make things look so much better!!!

Have a great weekend!!! It sounds like Neill may be finished with his oven/kitchen area this weekend. I can't wait to see it.

Christo
    Last edited by christo; 01-23-2009, 07:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

George,

Talked to my wife about the tree shaped sculpture and she loves it.

I saw some mention of cement fondu on the site here and googled it - there are lots of people scuplting with it and it looks like a mix between cement fondu and copper could make a great tree.

Gonna have to thaw out here before I start on that.

Christo

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Nice work Christo. I keep watching your progress from afar. Happy to see you're done moving earth and setting patio stone. The project is coming together nicely. Funny how these things seem to take ages to complete when you do them yourself. Years pass as think about and consider the possibilities. Committing to them and finally starting seems to me, to be the hardest part.
    I like you're idea for a water feature posted above, but like you, I think it doesn't fit the area. Perhaps a tree shaped sculpture with water pouring from the branches would fit in the space?? Hmmmm. Regardless, I love the look you're creating.
    George

Leave a comment:

Working...
X