Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom metal stand for WFO

Hi,
    I am in the planning stages of building a low dome 36 inch oven. I need to build this on a metal stand with heavy duty casters like the mobile Stefano Ferrara ovens.

I am looking for advice and input on the design of it. Not so much worried about the dimensions, I could figure that out, but was wondering how to layout the top of the stand where I will be putting in about a 4 inch cement hearth. Should the stand have a metal pan with a lip? Should it have some cross beams and I could build a form with rebar and pour it on top of the beams? I don't have a clue. Any advice for this would be great. I can't start the build until I figure out the stand.

Thanks,

Scott D.

Re: Custom metal stand for WFO

anybody???

Comment

I have one currently being welded up this weekend so if you can wait a few days ill post pics for you asap.

Comment

Chidding,
        Sounds good. I can't wait to see it. How big of oven do you plan on building?
        Scott

Comment

To be honest i have no specific size yet, i have made the stand to fit into an area in my patio and will be going with the flow rather than via a guide.
          Im not one for following instructions.. which may be my downfall but i prefer to go it alone.

will be starting a thread once its started!

Comment

Why is the concrete slab necessary? The point is to have something rigid and sound enough to support the weight of the oven. I'm not a structural engineer, but if you're going to go the steel stand route, I'm pretty sure you could achieve the same degree of rigidity with angle iron and steel plate and forgo the slab entirely.

Anyway, to answer your question, a slab would need to be supported around the perimeter (or at least three sides) Beyond making sure you have a good few inches--say 3 to 4--of bearing at the edges and that your stand is absolutely rigid, the slab isn't going to care what's holding it up, KWIM? You would just follow the rebar schedule as outlined in the plans at that point, which gets you a structural "bridge" slab.

Comment

what she said...

do you have an idea or plans on what the main structure is going to look like? or are you going to wing it?
              My oven (for now):
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

I have been researching a little more and have come up with a way I think i could do this. I reviewed the slide show on the Forno Bravo site that shows the build of the Modena assembly. I figure I could use a steel plate and just put insulation board on it like they did. The only issue i have is that I want to be able to screw a metal track down and build my enclosure with steel studs and cement board. I was thinking i could put about a 6 inch perimeter of concrete on the steel pan and the fill the center with insulation board. They would both be 4 inches thick. What do you think? How thick should the steel pan be? The shape of the stand would be an octagon. What do you think about this idea? I will try to upload a crude drawing that I have done, it does not show the concrete perimeter. Thanks,

Scott D

Comment

Here is a drawing.

Scott D.

Comment

So you want to pour concrete to give yourself something to attach steel studs to? Mmmm, no. You can attach them to steel just as easily. You have zero need for concrete.

WRT your second idea of the concrete perimeter and filling it with insulation board, as was pointed out on another thread, it's a bad idea to create anything that could hold water down the road. Besides the fact that the concrete element is entirely unnecessary as per above.

I don't have the answer on the steel sheet. It will depend in part on what the support structure below looks like.

Comment

I see what you are saying. I was going to have a 4 inch lip on the steel plate. I guess with your idea that would not be necessary. How hard would it be to drill the steel track into the steel sheet? I would not want screws sticking out the bottom! Would any lip on the steel plate be bad? Even a 1 inch lip? You have some great ideas. Thanks,

Scott D.

Comment

Construction adhesive would be more than adequate to attach steel framing channel to the steel plate, IME.
                        If you prefer attaching the framing with screws, self tapping metal screws would do it without too much trouble. Or drill a pilot hole and use a regular screw. It's not a big deal.
                        WRT "lip": If the perimeter of the frame that holds the steel sheet is angle iron, put it web down, which is to say an upside down L. This would give you a bit of fascia to hide any screws that stick down through the plate, but you could always go back and trim them flush with the bottom of the steel, too.
                        Consider how you intend to terminate the exterior finish (cement board), and what you'll terminate it with. That will have some effect on what shows or doesn't, too.

Comment

Updated drawing

Comment

The only issue i have is that I want to be able to screw a metal track down and build my enclosure with steel studs and cement board.
                            As Splatgirl said: It's a hundred times easier to create threaded holes in steel sheet than in a concrete slab. Even if tapping holes is intimidating to you, you could always drill through and use nuts.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmun,
                              Just watched a Youtube video on tapping holes. Does not seem like a big deal. Any idea on what thickness I should make my steel plate?

Scott D.

Comment

Working...
                              X