Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aegis
    replied
    It has been 4 or 5 years since my pven crack appeared! The good news is, it hasn't hurt the oven on bit. The crack is still the same and all is well with the oven to date. The oven is working just like the day it was completed. So anyone with cracks in their ovens, take heart and just enjoy the personality it lends to the oven!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

A suggestion when you do lay the FoamGlas down, use your leftover mortar from each days work and slather over any exposed FoamGlas ends, which has great thermal properties, but does not handle abrasion well, ie rubbing of your shoes against it during the dome build. The mortar acts as a abrasion resistant coating.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
    Foamglass it is... Its local and I can get 27 sq. ft. 3" thick for $130.

I'll be looking to sell half... if I don't break too much.

Thanks for the info.
    That is a great price and I would use it where ever I could rather than sell it. It is that good!
    One thing I do know, You can not over insulate! Especially if you want to do multiple cooking days off of one firing.
    Good Luck
    John

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied

Foamglass it is... Its local and I can get 27 sq. ft. 3" thick for $130.

I'll be looking to sell half... if I don't break too much.

Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
    New here, and looking for some advice...

I have the ability to obtain 3" thick Foamglass or 2" thick CalSil insulation. The prices are identical. Which would you choose? For the original poster, Has the foamglass held up well?

Thanks in advance.

John
    The foamglass has been great. No trouble with the floor where I used it and the walls are still as level as I first laid brick on the foamglass. Of course the real proff would be to tear apart the entire dome and check compression thickness etc. That ain't happening..............

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

I used both since FoamGlas will not absorb water I put it down on the hearth then CaSi on top. My build is an igloo so water migration was more of an issue than an enclosed WFO. FoamGlas is brittle to work with and you need to take precautions when building the dome but otherwise it has held up just fine. If you are doing an enclosure it is a non issue which one you use.

Leave a comment:

• JohnR
    replied

New here, and looking for some advice...

I have the ability to obtain 3" thick Foamglass or 2" thick CalSil insulation. The prices are identical. Which would you choose? For the original poster, Has the foamglass held up well?

Thanks in advance.

John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

I will leave it, I am a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

A unique part of your oven. Does no harm so why bother attempting a repair after this time.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Consider it a beauty mark.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Patching it will do no good anyway, as I am sure it is a living crack, that is, it expands and contracts with the oven temp. Leave it alone and enjoy the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Just s short update for the "I have a crack in my oven" crowd. Well, yes I have a somewhat large crack in the back of my oven. It appeared after the second firing. I am sure it was my fault for not cleaning out the firebrick chips that found themselves between the floor and walls. Those took away the "expansion gap" which was between the floor and walls.
    At any rate, I have been using my oven for several years now and the oven is still standing! The crack has not gotten bigger, and I have been procrastinating with patching it from the inside. Whenever I have that much free time, I am making pizza dough, bread dough and cooking up a storm!
    So if your oven gets some cracks, don't freak out as I and others have done. I have proof that it will take a lot more than a crack to spoil your oven!

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied

Beautiful oven and pictures. Pleased to hear it survived the storm! The way the WFO's are built based on the advice on this forum it's no wonder!

Enjoy your oven!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Winter in wonderful New England! Somehow I don't think the oven is warm at the moment, But it will be next weekend after all the snowplowing is done! I love this oven! btw I am glad I made a steep roof that matched the house, along with some extra rafters and bracing. Slate was heavy enough, but this is a fair amount of snow!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by waikato pizza View Post
    I am sorry to say this but - I actually own a metric wrench right now!! It has a ratchet thread set at .5mm steps, so you have everything from the smallest up to 25mm metric wrenches - so your buddy could have come unstuck at some point. I honestly thought the local tool shed was taking the P#@# when they advertised it in store on a demo counter, but true enough, there it is and I use it practically every day - it really is good!
    I'll let him know for sure! LOL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X