X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

Ive started a new thread on dome cutting so as not to hijack this thread.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-18-2011, 09:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

Brickie it's a tilting inward thing that makes the V. Think about it, if you take 2 bricks and put them on a row (circle shaped row) and then tilt them inward, they get closer together at the top. Thus pushing them apart at the bottom.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    It's a sphere. If you envision a globe with the longitude lines converging at the top, they appear to angle strongly inward.
    But the bricks are all the same size and dont converge to a single point like the globe picture?

If you took a line from the centre of the oven floor and project it through the oven shell the angle never changes.

Im still confused?

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    John-

If you find the right angle/bevel than you can cut a bunch of bricks at a time. But I would stay to only cutting a row at a time. As you start mortaring them in some might need an adjustment here or there. It all depends on how much of a upside down V you can live with. I was trying to get the perfect fit for a wile, then my standards loosened up a bit (back to reality).

Mike
    Hi Mike,
    I will try cutting about half a chain at a time and then maybe dry stacking for fit or just use some mud, depending on the weather. Right now it is raining and some t-showers. I have a pop-up tent over the oven, but the saw is not covered, guess that is why I have rain gear.
    Thanks for the advice, as with you, my standards always loosen a bit, otherwise I would still be working on a project I started in 1985! lol
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

John-

If you find the right angle/bevel than you can cut a bunch of bricks at a time. But I would stay to only cutting a row at a time. As you start mortaring them in some might need an adjustment here or there. It all depends on how much of a upside down V you can live with. I was trying to get the perfect fit for a wile, then my standards loosened up a bit (back to reality).

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    It's a sphere. If you envision a globe with the longitude lines converging at the top, they appear to angle strongly inward.

Great graphical explanation! I am a picture kinda a guy!
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Muscats View Post
    No. Its less bricks bigger angle.

The less bricks it takes to make the ring the bigger the angles are.
    Thanks Muscats for the warning! I had foolishly thought at one time to cut several chains of bricks at one time to make use of a rainy day. But I can see from all the comments and helpful advice that patience is truly a virtue to behold while building a WFO!
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Muscats
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    So less cuts but same angle?
    No. Its less bricks bigger angle.

The less bricks it takes to make the ring the bigger the angles are.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Are you referring to the upside down V shape that you get? If so than yes this is what people call the bevel. It gets worse as you go up, so get ready for some cutting.

- Here is a link that talks about it http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...al-3124-7.html

good luck

Mike
    Thanks Mike for the link, I did read, or thought I read his build last fall. I obviously just looked at the pics of the lake and wish I still had my boat! LOL Geeze, I think old timers is setting in! I actually had printed out the sketch for cutting the angles with three cuts on the HF saw, that jcg31 (Jim) had posted.. Which I used and worked beautifully!!!!!!!!!!THANKS Jim! (even if you don't know you helped me!) I just didn't remember or maybe at the time understand the bevel thing! So much information, so little memory!!!
    I wonder if a sticky could be made that contained pics and instructions on all the jigs and terminology that the highly inventive members have come up with to make life easier or certain problems solvable.

Doug, thanks for the advice and what to expect on the next couple of chains! This forum and members are the only reason I have half a chance at building this complex of a structure! I laid out the first chain, saw the inverted v's and first thought was, I can't believe I messed the first course up so bad that I have to start compensating with bevel cuts!
    So again Thanks All!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I will be having more concerns at every chain. I hope I don't exasperate everyone here with foolish questions!
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Muscats View Post
    Brickie, it gets worse becuase each course is a smaller circle than the one before, therefore you use less bricks to make each ring. So the angle is divided into less pieces.
    So less cuts but same angle?

Leave a comment:

• Muscats
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Why would it get worse the higher you go, wouldnt all the beds (horizontal) cuts be the same angle?
    Brickie, it gets worse becuase each course is a smaller circle than the one before, therefore you use less bricks to make each ring. So the angle is divided into less pieces.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

It gets worse as you go up,
    Please excuse my ignorance as I havent built a domed oven.

Why would it get worse the higher you go, wouldnt all the beds (horizontal) cuts be the same angle?
    The perpends (verticals) would change due to the dome coming together at the top.

Scratch the perpends being different, they should all be the same too.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-14-2011, 09:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

Are you referring to the upside down V shape that you get? If so than yes this is what people call the bevel. It gets worse as you go up, so get ready for some cutting.

- Here is a link that talks about it http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/it...al-3124-7.html

good luck

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Here are some pics of the soldier course mortared, Yippe! And the first chain dry stacked with wedges in place. I had to angle the cuts on the first chain to tighten up the inside vertical mortar joint. Has anyone one else had to angle this cut?
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X