Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gt40's Pompeii Oven 42" build log

Originally posted by shuboyje View Post
    In this type of design the heat of the dome is supposed to increase the draw pretty dramatically,
    Wouldn't a vertical flue draw better rather than the smoke having to do a 90 degree turn?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If all else was equal a straight vent with a nice gradual taper would certainly draw better then one with drastic bends in it, but if the theory behind this type of vent is correct, all things are not equal. Stack effect is the driving force behind the draw in our ovens, and as I am sure you know it is based on temperature difference and the volume of air. This type of vent design puts the hottest part of the oven in the path of the flue gases and drastically increases the temperature difference between the flue gases and the outside air thus drastically increasing the draw.

I'm pretty confident on the theory of how it works, now I curious to see how drastic the difference really is.

Comment

Ive clocked my flue gasses passing the damper slot in the chimney and they are around 1000c, the roof of my oven gets to 600 to 800c so the roof of the oven being cooler will in theory cool the flue gasses rather than heat them.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Uno Forno, handmade brick ovens by Stefano Ferrara.

Since it has gotten so much talk this link shows a traditional vent.

Comment

I made a bit more progress - dry fit the recirculating chimney.

Dry fit pic:

I also cleaned my dome finally. My daughter did a first pass with a scrub brush and water. I followed up by going inside with an angle grinder and 40 grit. I wore dust proof goggles + respirator and ground the surface while stopping when the dust was too thick to wipe the dome with a wet rag. You cannot believe how much dust an angle grinder makes in the confined space of an oven.

After that, I followed up with 50% muriatic acid/water mix sprayed from outside the dome and washed everything down really well to neutralize things. I dried things with the leaf blower and here you go:

My strong advice is to take the time to clean each and every course as you go and not do what I did :P
            Last edited by gt40; 07-10-2011, 07:52 AM.
            49" Recirculating LOW DOME Pompei build with welded stand:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...log-15903.html

Comment

UPDATE: I finished the oven.

Recirculating chimney was finished and I am just waiting for my chimney tube to arrive. I can't wait to start curing fires but will try to be patient. I have 3 rolls of fiber insulation ordered and then will build a house around the oven.

I really am looking forward to observing how the draw is and second, how hot is it the next day after I insulate it.

A few more pics:

Thanks for looking

Comment

That is the most creative chimney I've seen to date! Well done, looking forward to hearing how the first firing goes
                The Melbourne Fire Brick Company

Comment

GT,

I forget why you did the vent this way. It looks very cool (and clever) but appears to be excessive work.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                    GT,

I forget why you did the vent this way. It looks very cool (and clever) but appears to be excessive work.
                    I am thinking the same thing almost now that it is finally done. It ended up being a mini project in itself.

To answer your question, I had extra bricks basically. This was a big oven with a 49" floor and I erred on too many bricks buying 450. I finished the basic dome and chimney foundation with 400. That left me with 50 more bricks and it seemed to me that if you recirculated the hot air over the dome, maybe it would heat up faster as the hot exhaust from the oven is in contact with the dome from the inside and the outside.

I have seen some masonary heaters with recirculating channels to capture more heat into the central mass and it kinda made sense.

The other thing is I am gaining 3 feet of chimney before I even go vertical so I hoped for better draw. The final thing that pushed me over to do all the extra work was the MHA oven design I stumbled across:

MHA News - 2006 Meeting - Backyard Oven with Peter Moore

Comment

• Re: gt40's Pompeii Oven 42" build log

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
                      maybe it would heat up faster as the hot exhaust from the oven is in contact with the dome from the inside and the outside.
                      Awesome - sounds reasonable to me. James may be making an edit to the plans.
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

" I am gaining 3 feet of chimney before I even go vertical so I hoped for better draw".

A horizontal chimney does not create any draw. In fact my Daniel Rhodes kiln bible says "each foot of horizontal must be compensated for by 2 additional feet of chimney"
                        So make it taller than you think it should be.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          " I am gaining 3 feet of chimney before I even go vertical so I hoped for better draw".

A horizontal chimney does not create any draw. In fact my Daniel Rhodes kiln bible says "each foot of horizontal must be compensated for by 2 additional feet of chimney"
                          So make it taller than you think it should be.
                          Agreed with above, but really its not perfectly horizontal.. its moreso a 45 degree bend isnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                            Agreed with above, but really its not perfectly horizontal.. its moreso a 45 degree bend isnt it?
                            Yeah it is around 45 degrees. I guess we should know in a bit after I get to start lighting curing fires.

If you scroll through the MHA link I posted, they are more horizontal than me and have 2 feet of chimney tile but it seems to give great draw.

Comment

It should be easy enough to add more if needed.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
                                they are more horizontal than me and have 2 feet of chimney tile but it seems to give great draw.
                                Lot of soot on that new arch for it to be drawing "great".

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X