gt40's Pompeii Oven 42" build log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: gt40's Pompeii Oven 42" build log

I'd be doubling the height of that stack. It goes back 2 feet, so should have 4 feet extra vertical.
    Last edited by david s; 07-10-2011, 11:00 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

[QUOTE=brickie in oz;116857]Lot of soot on that new arch for it to be drawing "great". QUOTE]

MHA fires their ovens wet in the interest of time it seems so I can imagine it would just be all messy and smoky regardless of flue design.

I don't know if this is an "improvement" or not. I had extra bricks and I like to try things. We will know how the draw is soon enough.

I will be looking to see a few things. Initially, whether it has decent draw. After I insulate it, the big questions will be time get up to temp and , how it holds heat with a door in place.

I am really looking forward to going beyond conjecture and just lighting a fire in the thing
      Last edited by gt40; 07-11-2011, 07:54 AM.
      49" Recirculating LOW DOME Pompei build with welded stand:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...log-15903.html

Comment

THe oven seems to be working fine in this picture:

gt40 - keep going and let us know how it works out. I suspect the soot on the outside of that arch were from the initial firings - when you look at the pics of the first fires it appears as though there's no flue at all.

Comment

gt40, Thanks so much for posting all your build pics! I am going through and studying your build with much interest. I had considered doing the something similar with my chimney/flue, though to get the chimney further back to increase clearance with my porch/house.

Also my local firebrick supplier has both red and buff colored, the red is about 20 cents a brick cheaper, so I really liked seeing your dome with red fire bricks to get a comparative look (most I have seen are buff).

I finished my slab foundation last week and have a stack of blocks to build into my wall/stand this week, so I still have a ways to go!

Comment

Originally posted by apagios View Post
            gt40, Thanks so much for posting all your build pics! I am going through and studying your build with much interest. I had considered doing the something similar with my chimney/flue, though to get the chimney further back to increase clearance with my porch/house.

Also my local firebrick supplier has both red and buff colored, the red is about 20 cents a brick cheaper, so I really liked seeing your dome with red fire bricks to get a comparative look (most I have seen are buff).

I finished my slab foundation last week and have a stack of blocks to build into my wall/stand this week, so I still have a ways to go!
            Thanks for the feedback. I am just figuring things out myself and this place has been awesome for info so I thought I would document my build so others can learn from what I did wrong... and hopefully right

On another note,

I did my first curing fire with the forge burner barely on. Got the oven up to 200 degrees:

After that, I wanted to do a smoke test to check out the draw. I took a slice off a duralog and put it in a steel bucket I had. Then I lit it with the torch and put it in the oven.

As you can see, the smoke was a clear line in the top of the oven with clean air going in below and it draws! Virtually no smoke was coming out of the oven even though it was generating a lot of smoke and not a lot of heat. This was with the recirc flue and 2 feet of duraliner sitting on top of the square opening while I wait for my anchor plate to arrive.

I will be gradually curing the oven over the next week so we can do a real test.

Thanks for looking

Comment

Sweet, looks like its drawing like a charm!

Lets hope with the increased heat the draw is even stronger.

Nice pics aswell! keep em coming! love seeing first fires!

Comment

After lighting some small fires the past 3 days, I picked up some wood and started a small wood fire. After a couple of hours I added more wood and now the dome is 550 degrees and the floor 320 range. I also have some hairline cracks on the outside of the dome and one on the bottom of the outside arch. Everything seems structurally sound and I believe I could stand on the dome like I did when it was cool. Are all these cracks on the outside mortar normal?

On another note, it draws awesome at least

Comment

It sounds like it's going brilliantly! Glad to hear that your chimney is drawing well, that's a neat design.
                  The Melbourne Fire Brick Company

Comment

Well, I have been running a fire since wed and gradually building heat. Finally got the dome to start to clear. No smoke coming anywhere out the top except the chimney and it still is sound after getting the center of the dome over 1000 in the center floor at 600:

clearing the dome for the first time:

Since it isn't a pile of bricks, I will start putting the blanket on it next...

Comment

Nice....
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                        Nice....
                        Thanks! I covered the oven today with 3 boxes of kaowool rt(150 sq feet) and lit my first fire for cooking.

Here is the oven covered:

Here is my first cooking fire at an hour and 15 minutes:

Here is the hearth temp at that time:

So far the oven is hitting my goals. This is a 49" oven and to have it clear the dome and hearth at this temp in just over an hour is awesome.

Got to run for now to make my first pizza for the wifey and me...

Comment

Aftermath:

Pizza was really really good!

PPO- Pizza pre oven-

Surfas dough, Trader Joes refrigerated tomato sauce, sausage, onions, black olives, fresh herbs, garlic and fresh buffalo mozzarella and a cheese blend from trader joes of fontina, asiago, provolone and parmasan:

PIO- pizza in oven:

PAO- pizza after oven:

Last edited by gt40; 07-18-2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

That looks like a really lonely pizza in that pig oven. Give it some friends or make a bigger pie. Just kidding

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              That looks like a really lonely pizza in that pig oven. Give it some friends or make a bigger pie. Just kidding

Mike
                              I took your advice Hosted my first mini pizza party. We cooked 15 pies. I forgot to shoot pics while cooking but got some of the fire:

Forge burner:

Big fire:

Dome cleared again:

Comment

GT40,

Great fire shots! Must be neat feeling to finally get your oven finished and cooking! With that dome I'll bet your oven cranks out outstanding pies. Keep the pics coming.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X