Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex’s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

Here goes nothing!

Hi Alex aka Bert from Central Coast, NSW Australia. I plan on building a 1100mm or 43inch Pompeii Oven with sandstone veneer, preparation counter and possibly a spit or grill. I broke ground 16/04/2011 or 04/16/2011 for our American friends. Like many others I have caught the bug and now obsess over the WFO and this forum.

I have had a challenging start, I needed to remove 4 Lillypillies (Australian Native), 2 x Callistemon roots (Australian Native ? cut down some 4 years ago), a Queensland Fire Wheel Tree (Queensland Rainforest tree) and a Robinia (bloody awful tree with thorns).

The Robinia took me 4 hours and the Lillypillies came out fairly easy. The Queensland firewheel tree on the other hand is a nightmare I have given up on removing the entire root ball (I have spent about 4 hours with a mattock, crowbar etc trying to remove it) and will be cutting it down (below final ground level) this weekend weather permitting.

My current train of thought:

 1100mm diameter dome
     150mm footing
     400x200x200 Besa block stand in filled with reo
     150mm hearth
     Refractory insulation 75x115x230
     Refractory floor tiles 300x300x50
     Insulated with FB blanket
     Clay bricks (if I can find them) 75x115x230
     Homebrew mortar brick sand, fireclay, Portland cement
     Sandstone veneer
     Ash drawer
     Lighting recessed into hearth
     Brick chimney
     Hose
     Speakers
     Electricity socket

Current costs= $10.00 chainsaw sharpening and several $100 is beer supplies.
    Weight loss = 5 kilos

I plan on attaching plenty of photos but they are currently 18 megapixels so I will need to reduce them.

Looking forward to lots of constructive guidance as I continue.

Cheers

Bert
    Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Re: Alex?s Pizza Kitchen (APK) build, Central Coast, NSW Australia

Go Bert Go. Can't wait for the pictures, keep it up.

Mike

Comment

The ash draw is unnecessary.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        I plan on attaching plenty of photos but they are currently 18 megapixels so I will need to reduce them.
        Try this
        PIXresizer - Download

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Here goes nothing!

Hi Alex aka Bert from Central Coast, NSW Australia. I plan on building a 1100mm or 43inch Pompeii Oven with sandstone veneer, preparation counter and possibly a spit or grill. I broke ground 16/04/2011 or 04/16/2011 for our American friends. Like many others I have caught the bug and now obsess over the WFO and this forum.

I have had a challenging start, I needed to remove 4 Lillypillies (Australian Native), 2 x Callistemon roots (Australian Native ? cut down some 4 years ago), a Queensland Fire Wheel Tree (Queensland Rainforest tree) and a Robinia (bloody awful tree with thorns).

The Robinia took me 4 hours and the Lillypillies came out fairly easy. The Queensland firewheel tree on the other hand is a nightmare I have given up on removing the entire root ball (I have spent about 4 hours with a mattock, crowbar etc trying to remove it) and will be cutting it down (below final ground level) this weekend weather permitting.

My current train of thought:

 1100mm diameter dome
           150mm footing
           400x200x200 Besa block stand in filled with reo
           150mm hearth
           Refractory insulation 75x115x230
           Refractory floor tiles 300x300x50
           Insulated with FB blanket
           Clay bricks (if I can find them) 75x115x230
           Homebrew mortar brick sand, fireclay, Portland cement
           Sandstone veneer
           Ash drawer
           Lighting recessed into hearth
           Brick chimney
           Hose
           Speakers
           Electricity socket

Current costs= $10.00 chainsaw sharpening and several $100 is beer supplies.
          Weight loss = 5 kilos

Looking forward to lots of constructive guidance as I continue.

Cheers

Bert
          Hello

It sounds like you have done a lot of good planning. I have one question and one comment:
          • How much of what kind of insulation are you planning under the oven floor?
          • Several people have commented that they should have done more planning for tool storage -long handled peels, brushes and the like. You may want to consider that.
          Good luck
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Mike!

Brickie, ash tray is a new idea after I read 'Your Brick Oven' by Russell Jeavons. I see your point, I thought it may make a good feature at the front of the oven but it will take quite a bit of extra work to form up the hearth so that idea isn?t set in stone yet. re pix resizer, thankyou but I was one step ahead as its one of my standard programs on my PC.

Lee

Insulation will be 75x230x115 refractory insulation bricks placed over the oven footprint?similar the what Karangi Dude used on his build. He seems to be getting good results. This will replace the vermicrete layer I guess.

Tools ? I will hang them up in the garage which is close by. I may make some holders on the side for when I require them by the oven. Thanks for the suggestion?I hadn?t thought of that.

Cheers

Comment

Some before pictures of the area!

Comment

Pictures of some of the stumps I removed and the subsequent mess I created.

I'm borrowing a chainsaw this weekend to remove the Queensland firewheel tree. I have an electric one and its crap (not powerful enough for stumps). I had the chain sharpened and subsequently hit some sandstone so it was blunt after one cut.

Picture of me and she who must be obeyed levering the Robinia. Very lucky she is very supportive of the project and helps me when she can. Handy hint if you ever want to remove stumps make sure you leave plenty of stump this was of great benefit.

Picture of my stockpile of Gosford sandstone and rumble to be used under the footing.

Also I've figured out how to attach the thumbnail but does anyone know how to place the actual picture in the post??

Cheers

Bert

Comment

Bert next time you have stumps to remove try using a "turfer" style hand winch like in the attached pic. It will make it much easier and you need to do far less digging.

Tie one end to a nearby solid tree and the other end to the stump and start winching. If it is a small stump you can generally pull it out without any digging. For large stumps, as the tension starts on the roots you can see where you need to dig or which roots you need to cut.

I have pulled out lots of stumps with this method after first trying to simply dig one out.

It doesn't work so well if you haven't got anything solid to tie the winch to.
                  Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
                  (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
                    Bert next time you have stumps to remove try using a "turfer" style hand winch like in the attached pic. It will make it much easier and you need to do far less digging.

Tie one end to a nearby solid tree and the other end to the stump and start winching. If it is a small stump you can generally pull it out without any digging. For large stumps, as the tension starts on the roots you can see where you need to dig or which roots you need to cut.

I have pulled out lots of stumps with this method after first trying to simply dig one out.

It doesn't work so well if you haven't got anything solid to tie the winch to.
                    Wish I had posted a few weeks ago!

Bert

Comment

Alternative to firebricks????

I have sourced a possible brick to use as an alternate to firebricks, given they are so expensive here in OZ ($4+). They are a pressed clay that come in an assortment of colours, they are fired to between 1200 and 1500 degrees Celsius with no Portland cement or gravel. The suppliers have sold them to fireplace builders before, as they actually sell fireplaces and word stoves?now I know where to purchase my flue from.

I?ll post some photos of the brick but they appear to have no gravel or cement and what looks like a petrified terracotta or clay. They also split like a breeze which will save my lungs a bit.

I would be interested to get some feedback from people who have used home brew and clay bricks as an alternate to the more expensive products?

Cheers

Bert

Comment

Solid pressed bricks are fine for on oven or fireplace situation, they are more prone to thermal shock and will crack where as fire bricks tend not to crack as easy.

Even cracked they will still perform well enough.
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-23-2011, 07:00 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Heres some pictures of the brick I plan on using. i also plan on using them for the insulation layer and the floor layer. They have nice straight edges.

Bert

Comment

i also plan on using them for the insulation layer and the floor layer.
                            They will be useless for insulation all they will do is add more thermal mass.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                              They will be useless for insulation all they will do is add more thermal mass.
                              Thanks Brickie in Oz.

Bert

Comment

Working...
                              X