X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ggoose
    replied
    Re: 28" Pompeii

Thanks Chip and Lee; I'll check with my local brickyard.
    gene

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    I began curing my oven today. It has been sitting idle for a week or so as I hadn't the time to work on it. The dome temp hovered around 350 degrees F while the small fire burned, but with no oven door yet it cooled quickly. The chimney seemed to draw well, with only a fraction of the smoke exiting the door.
    I've begun the cultured stone facade and metal stud framing, though I can't do too much framing until the oven is cured and insulated; maybe by the weekend. I still have to locate some bulk vermiculite or pearlite to fill the framed portion around the oven; another item on my "to do" list...
    We found bulk vermiculite, usually sold to fill voids in concrete block walls, at a concrete products supplier. Just make sosme calls, the Internet search was unproductive for me. Brand name was Zonolite, it poured into every little sapce with ease. No issues with the reported silicone treatment that makes it move into voids more readily.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    I still have to locate some bulk vermiculite or pearlite to fill the framed portion around the oven; another item on my "to do" list...
    Try a concrete block supplier for pearilite or greenhouse supply for pearlite or vermiculite.

Should be less than $4.00 cu ft in 3 or 4 cu ft bags.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

I began curing my oven today. It has been sitting idle for a week or so as I hadn't the time to work on it. The dome temp hovered around 350 degrees F while the small fire burned, but with no oven door yet it cooled quickly. The chimney seemed to draw well, with only a fraction of the smoke exiting the door.
    I've begun the cultured stone facade and metal stud framing, though I can't do too much framing until the oven is cured and insulated; maybe by the weekend. I still have to locate some bulk vermiculite or pearlite to fill the framed portion around the oven; another item on my "to do" list...

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Gene,
    I think once a flue heats up it will draw nicely. But before it does the wider, funnel-shaped vent will gather more smoke that would otherwise drift out he front of the oven.

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Is that to keep the smoke moving smoothly John?

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Gene,

Nice work on the entryway. Very clean. Your full-width vent is gonna breathe like a champ.
    I use a piece of flat steel that's about the size of a 6" rule to scrape the inside joint mortar excess off.
    John

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

More progress today. I completed the outer arch and chimney transition. I have a bit of cleanup to do on the under-sides of the arches where the forms were; I suppose I'll take the grinder to it unless someone has a better method for cleaning hardened mortar. At any rate, my seven day drying clock has started and my curing fires should begin right after that...

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Thanks John and Lee

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

I completed the dome today. It went much faster as the brick courses decreased in diameter. As you can tell from the photos, I ran out of FB50 and finished with Heatstop50.

FB50 vs. Heatstop50

-Heatstop is very creamy and is easy to work, resulting in small, tight joints. FB50 is not creamy, more like wet sand, thus the joints tend to be a bit wider. To completely fill them in you need may need to force mortar into the joint by slicing into it (a putty knife works well) as you spread mortar across the joint. For the Heatstop, just push on the brick and the mortar squeezes throughout the joint. In my opinion this is not a strike against the FB mortar, just a difference.
    -Once the Heatstop-mortared brick is placed, it takes a while for its initial set, so it needs to be supported, especially as the bricks are set more vertically. The FB requires only about a minute (or less) of support, then the indespensible tool can be pulled. Furthermore, the next brick can be forced against the just-set brick with some force and it won't budge; the Heatstop-mortared brick(s) will move if just set, perhaps knocking them out of position.
    -The Heatstop needs quite a bit of misting, especially on a warm day. The FB needed far less.
    -Since I just used the Heatstop today, I cannot yet comment on cracking or bond strength. No cracks anywhere as of yet with the FB50, and its bond strength seem very good (I can't separate my test bricks, even by dropping them on concrete).
    -Heatstop is light-colored; FB is quite dark, like charcoal.
    -Heatstop50: 50lbs for ~$96 sold locally. FB50: 55lbs for ~$89 delivered.

All in all, I like both products and would use both again. The Heatstop consistency provides for smaller joints, so less is used. The FB, with its coarser sand, holds it position better as you set the brick and sets more quickly. Flip a coin. Either side wins.

Monday I'll begin the rest of the arch and chimney.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    Nice work, Gene, and even nicer progress! It won't be long now before you're yelling "who wants pizza!"
    John's right, looking good

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Nice work, Gene, and even nicer progress! It won't be long now before you're yelling "who wants pizza!"
    Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 07-29-2011, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Partially thru the 10th course now. I am just about to open my 4th bag of mortar...taking a bit more than I planned, but then I am smearing it on the outer edge which accounts for quite a bit.
    I think I will need to set a form in the dome to support the final courses, as the indespensible tool becomes less efficient as the bricks are set more vertically. Hopefully I can complete the dome this weekend and begin the front of the arch and chimney by monday.
    After using several bags of FB50 I have come to like it. It bonds very well - no cracks yet. It is was intitally bit of a challenge to work with for a novice like me, but once I figured out the proper water ratio, I was able to place it faster and with greater ease. My next sack of mortar is Heatstop50, just to be able to compare the two. I'll post anything of note.
    Here are some progress pics...

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

That is a beautiful oven. I really think you nailed it with the transitions on the arch.

congrats!

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Thanks for the comments John. Funny you should speak of the "dreaded droop". I was fiddling with the next course above the arch and it kept rearing its ugly (drooping) head. I have a bit of a drop there, but only about 3/16's inch...difficult for the eye to detect, especially since I am not cleaning the outside of my dome as you are. By the way, I nominate your dome as the best example of how to build round dome out of square-ish bricks - that thing is a work of art. Too bad they don't make transparent insulation ...

gene

Leave a comment:

Working...
X