• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danhem
    replied
    Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    Re: 28" Pompeii

More progress today. I completed the outer arch and chimney transition. I have a bit of cleanup to do on the under-sides of the arches where the forms were; I suppose I'll take the grinder to it unless someone has a better method for cleaning hardened mortar. At any rate, my seven day drying clock has started and my curing fires should begin right after that...
    Been through this threat, great job on the build.

I see that your outer arch is slightly wider than this inner arch - is there a functional reason for this or is it purely aesthetic?

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    I was asked the dimensions of my oven:

Inside dameter: 32"
    Interior dome height: 16"
    Oven door height: 11"
    Oven door width: 16"

I cooked my first pizza last night. Just a simple cheese pizza; it cooked in 4 minutes . As a side note, the oven temp this morning was still at 350 degrees, so I made some blueberry muffins; they came out great! This may become addicting...
    gene
    Great job! And is there really any doubt about the addiction????

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Thanks Gene. That's what I was guessing. Once again, it looks great!

Nate

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Nate,

Since that area wouldn't (shouldn't...doesn't) get too warm, I just used silicone caulk beneath and between the counters. The ledge extends out far enough to almost completely support the bottom counter, so gravity is doing most of the work. The brick arch facade and stucco, along with the caulk, just prevent any lateral movement.

gene

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Hey Gene,

I have another question for you. What did you do to secure your countertops to the oven? I have been thinking of a couple options but I am curious what you did.

Thanks
    Nate

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Just some leftover type N mortar from adhearing the cultured stone and brick to the base...

Leave a comment:

• dsm
    replied

hey ggoose what did you use for the brown coat ?

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Thanks.

Not yet...the finish coat was special order; should be here by Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• dsm
    replied

nice looking oven also, did you finish the stucco yet?

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Thanks Russell. The door turned out nicely. Last night, two full days after making the pizza, the oven door thermometer still registered over 200 degrees. The oven appears to be holding heat well. Hopefully I will get the final coat of stucco on this week and the oven will be complete...

gene

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Gene,

Been following your build off and on over the past year. The finale looks great. I wish I had a neighbor like you to fab my oven door. That guy did a fine metal work job. The matching arches are a nice touch. Congrats on your first pizzas.

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

I was asked the dimensions of my oven:

Inside dameter: 32"
    Interior dome height: 16"
    Oven door height: 11"
    Oven door width: 16"

I cooked my first pizza last night. Just a simple cheese pizza; it cooked in 4 minutes . I used whole wheat flour, so the crust was slightly underdone. I'll try again tonight. As a side note, the oven temp this morning was still at 350 degrees, so I made some blueberry muffins; they came out great! This may become addicting...

gene

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Thanks Gene! I will check that out.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Nate,
    This is what I purchased; seems to work: King Kooker 8-Inch Deep Fry Thermometer

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Gene,

thanks for the pictures. That is exactly what I had in mind instead of buying a bunch of thermal couplings and an expensive display unit (though I am not going to lie, I think that would be great but just not in the budget). So that brings me to my next question...where did you find the high temp thermometer with a probe that long? I have no idea where to even look.

Thanks again!

Nate

Leave a comment:

Working...
X