X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest WA build

Thought id start a build thread after graduating! from this section
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/o...bie-13623.html

got 6th row on tonite , its gettin slower to lay and ive prob still got 5 to go!
    This heat proof mortar in the pr mix tub seems to develop hair line cracks in the joints ? hope it holds up . I can honestly say I would rather have gone down the fire clay mortar path so i could mix up as much as id like. The cuts are getting harder too !
    Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	317838

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	317839

Re: Midwest WA build

Nice looking build. I think you will like the covered area to use your oven. One question that I can't see in the picture. Did you leave space behind your oven for insulation? The picture looks close to that brick wall.

But it looks great! Keep us updated.

Faith

Comment

Thanks Faith
      yeah ive got 4" between back of oven and brick wall

Comment

COOL!!!! Good to know about the 4"

Comment

just for the record,
          I can see my oven roof aint gonna be anywhere near as perfect as yours
          youve done a awesome job

Name:	029.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	286614

Comment

From what I've seen your doing just fine. The big thing is to have the oven work properly.

Thanks for the compliments about my oven it was a fun project.

So have fun and enjoy your oven and keep up the good work.

Faith

Comment

Your work looks great! I am just a bit ahead of you. I am waiting the week for the mortar to cure before I fire it. The one bit of advice I have, since it looks like you are tapering your bricks: As you get higher up the chains, the cuts and size of the bricks get more critical to maintain the correct angle and circumference. Obviously, smaller bricks at the top few chains will produce smaller mortar joints.

Can't wait to see more.

Chris

Comment

found the perfect thing for those tricky cuts have just tried my laser level which can strike 4 verticle beams and a horizontal . Placed it inside the dome and it has a locating laser below which you place dead centre and it shines a line up the dome for the perfect angle , you mark 1 side of 1 brick , 1 side of the next brick then rotate to the next cut . The cuts on rows 7 8 9 were pretty average but row 10 is nearly perfect joins!. Wish id used it from the start.

Name:	069.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	287032

Name:	076.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	287033

Name:	077.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	287034

Comment

Still trying to work out the vent transition as my oven is under cover and i dont want any smoke what so ever coming out the front. Its gotta draw real good

Comment

got last course done yeah baby just need to plug it !
                    Key stone might have to be 2 part dont really want to try and fit another chain in such a small areaits about a 4" hole

Comment

Originally posted by woodfried View Post
                      This heat proof mortar in the pr mix tub seems to develop hair line cracks in the joints
                      You probably have thin joint glue, its meant for joints no thicker than a couple of mm, above a couple mm and it cracks as it drys.
                      There is a thick joint glue for larger joints.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yeah al
                        think thats the case , to cut a dome perfectly with 1-2mm joints front to back side to side etc all the way to the top is dream land . Its definately a possibility with a barrel oven such as youve done though. Ive used same brand mortar as you. If I built another I would definately use homebrew and not taper bricks until top.
                        cheers

Comment

Good day today ! Gave the dome a bit of a touch up with the sander pretty dusty but i had big industrial vac sitting in the hole at the top so cleared pretty quick. After all the dramas of the transition the last couple of chains and keystone was easy came up pretty good after all!. Now to finish off the flue and start curing , didnt think i was ever gonna get there.
                          Its prob well know but i drilled a small hole in the keystone and fitted plastic plug in the top , made it real easy to fit and remove whilst shaping.
                          Anyway heres a couple of shots

Comment

well seeing as i was on a roll i finished off the vent arch , just need to build facia arch in front , a flue base and all brick work is done !
                            It would be impossible to build something like this without this website and each persons slight variances on what works for them thanks to all.

Comment

Ain't it a great feeling to have cut your last firebrick!!!!!!!!!! You have to be doing the happy dance fer sure. Nice build, I wish you would have posted the laser idea months ago tho! That looks like it really worked well for you. I am just starting curing fires myself. what kind of chimney will you be using? Clay or Stainless Steel? Good Luck and keep up the great work!
                              Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                              Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                              Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Working...
                              X