Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Gene and John,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

OOPS!!!

So I now need to build that insulated door.

I left the remains of a fire in the oven last night and put my temporary door on to smother the fire.

WELL... I guess the oven was a little hotter than i thought and I woke this morning to find a piece of Stainless, two brass brackets and 4 screws laying in the entrance to the oven.

Notice in picture 1 the insulating rope is still intact on the inner arch. It is so stiff it never lost it's shape and is standing in the arch on it's own.

Last 3 photos are of the acid washed brick and the door before the event....

Another lesson learned, and I was planning on baking some bread today.

Chip
      Last edited by mrchipster; 10-28-2011, 12:22 PM.
      Chip

Comment

As a replacement for my temporary (somewhat destroyed) door, I decided to build a 4 inch insulated door using FB board.

This will be a door I use to retain heat overnight and for long periods of time. It is quite heavy but will serve the design purpose.

The biggest challenge of building this door was making sure it fit tight but not too tight. The notched pieces on the side panels made it relatively easy to adjust the fit. As I built the door I would put in a few rivets check the fit and move on to the next few rivets. Insulating board was inserted after putting on half of the metal that spans between inside and the outside.

The interior and sides are stainless steel riveted together with stainless rivets. The front is a sheet of aluminum with 2?2 inch sheets of FB board between the metal. I have yet to choose a handle set for the door and I still have not installed the gasket.

I hope to test it out tomorrow and see how it retains heat over the next several days. I ran out of stainless rivets so I need to go to the store and get some more.

I will be building a working insulated door and a final storm door for the outer decorative arch but I had the materials for this door so I decided that I would do it 1st.

I know this seems like a lot of metal for an insulated door and I may trim some of the metal out with a cutting wheel if it seems to be conducting to much heat to the outside but i will try it as is for now.

One thing is guaranteed -- This one will not burn up....

Chip
        Last edited by mrchipster; 11-05-2011, 01:10 PM.
        Chip

Comment

Why didnt you use aluminium?
          Its a lot lighter.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Chip,
            That is one gorgeous outdoor pizza kitchen. Wow.

...and you now have the most insulated door ever!
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
              Its a lot lighter.
              Lighter, but aluminium is a better conductor by a factor of 20 than stainless.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                Its a lot lighter.
                I had the stainless and not much aluminum it is 22 gauge and weighs in at about 4 pounds. the majority of the weight comes from the FB board and about a third from the stainless and aluminum.

The current weight is 17 pounds without handles.

I will only be using it for longer closed sessions and will have another lighter door for active baking and roasting activities.

I will get more aluminum and build the working door out of all aluminum.

Sometimes you need to get rid of that stuff that is just laying around...And that is what makes the social director happy.

Chip
                Chip

Comment

First and Second Pizza tonight, 65 % hydration.

Are you kidding me the stuff is like goo...

I will be practicing on a much lower hydration until I understand how to handle this stuff.

My wife said "remember when you first learned to do drywall and you thought plaster was the worst thing ever" .... I can now hold my own against pros in drywall and I only own a few rentals.

Well 65% hydration is like VERY VERY VERY wet mud...

First pizza was well done, but flavor was good.

Second pizza was over floured and the burned flour was clearly an issue in the oven.

I need to develop a system that works for me. This was the grand experiment and first time is not always the charm. I am sure glad we did not invite the neighbors for the grand opening.

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Haha that first one is an ugly pizza! looks like mine :P except mine was upside down!

What was your recipe? and what flour did you use?

From the visual side.. what is your sauce?.. looks very watery?

With the 65% hydration dough, i find having a little pile of extra flour on the side to continually dip my hands in when kneading helps alot.. adding a little more each time brings the hydration % down to it feels just right!

Comment

Also, try grating your mozzeralla.. whilst traditionally poeple tend to use it in slices.. i find an even cover of cheese is so much nicer..

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                        Haha that first one is an ugly pizza! looks like mine :P except mine was upside down!
                        We should have an UGLY pizza comp, no deliberates, just accidentals.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The sauce was hand crushed Roma tomatoes that we froze from this summer. I put in a large crushed garlic clove and a little olive oil. Yes I agree it was much to wet.

The dough was 17 oz flour, one cup bread flour two cups al purpose, 11 oz water, 1.5 tsp salt and 1 tsp yeast. I mixed in a bread machine and used same day after 2 rises.

I kept out a ball for today to see if it is different but I did let that ball rise before it went into the fridge. So there may be no hope for that.

On the big upside the new super-insulated door I built seems to be working very well the oven was still 680 this morning in the dome and 620 on the floor.

Chip
                          Last edited by mrchipster; 11-07-2011, 06:53 AM.
                          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                            Haha that first one is an ugly pizza! looks like mine :P
                            yes I know. First I could not get it off of the board and then I could not get it off of the peel. Then it got stuck on the floor of the oven because of a tear in the middle.

Good thing raking hot coals over a mess burns the mess up in short order.

Chip
                            Chip

Comment

Going for second pizza attempt tonight.

Wish me luck...

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

Hi Chip so how did your 2nd round of pizza making go? Also did you manage to finish the whole thing before the snow fell? I love the way you did the roof, it looks pretty cool.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X