Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Arg! It's looking like it'll work fine Captain Chip!

Chris

I have visions with Kurt Russel as Captain Ron!! There are some great moments in that movie..

Arg!!

Last edited by SCChris; 09-08-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Well the porthole door is done and performs beautifully, I tested it with a well saturated oven with a starting temp of 420F 215C and after two hours the temp dropped to 410F 210C so I am very happy with the performance. Ambient was about 75F 24C.

I used a 5/16 square u-bolt cut in half to provide standoffs for the wood handles. The handles are drilled in the ends so the receive the cut end of the u-bolt.

I decided to use the handle hole to put in a thermometer held in place with two silicone washers.

(Sorry Al, no nautical theme design yet.) and No bread yet John

Here are the photos.

Chip
      Last edited by mrchipster; 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM.
      Chip

Comment

Pictures with porthole door in place.

That temp is 390F 4 hours after first reading of 420F (middle photo). And the door had been off a few times. For fitting and other things.

Chip
        Last edited by mrchipster; 09-09-2012, 09:11 PM. Reason: Added temp info
        Chip

Comment

Points for originality, aesthetics, and coolness!

Comment

Points for originality, aesthetics, and coolness!
            Not to mention effectiveness!

Comment

Twenty four hour temperature report. Not as good as my 4 inch thick insulated door but not bad Temp 305F after 24 hours down 115F. It was 58 F last night. and got to 83F today.

I think it will make a fine baking door.

I still need to put a rope seal on the door so it may get a little better.

Chip
              Last edited by mrchipster; 09-10-2012, 04:29 PM.
              Chip

Comment

Wow that looks prett cool. Glad it worked out so well. How did your San marzzano tomatoes turn out? I got a ton of them from my plant.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                  How did your San marzzano tomatoes turn out? I got a ton of them from my plant.

Randy
                  Sweet and tasty none of them have made it to pizza yet but have used in a couple of salads and just eaten off the vine. Two in pots are producing but plants are small the 4 in the ground are huge and just started to produce red fruit, squirrels have gotten several of the low hanging pink ones so we are waiting.

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

I made a few batches of pizza sause with the fresh tomatoes and it was very tasty. I also made a few batches of salsa, and they make great salsa as well. Gives it a nice sweet flavor.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                      I made a few batches of pizza sause with the fresh tomatoes and it was very tasty. I also made a few batches of salsa, and they make great salsa as well. Gives it a nice sweet flavor.

Randy
                      Picked a few today, The larger ones have their roots in the ground the smaller ones are from the plants in pots.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

More door work yesterday, I decided to upgrade my well insulated door to remove the metal handles, recess the thermometer into the door, add a wood face, and two wood handles.

Pictures in order
                        1. Original door front
                        2. Modified door front
                        3. Modified door side (note wood cut back)
                        4. Modified door back (note thermometer probe)
                        5. Original door back (note thermometer probe)

The reasons for the changes.

1) Metal handles were hot enough to need pot holders when the oven was in the 800F degree range, so I wanted to get wood handles on the door.

2) Thermometer barely entered into the oven as you can see from the last photo. The probe was reading about 100 to 150 degrees low because it was primarily embedded in insulation. It is much more accurate now.

3) Added wood face for two reasons, first is aesthetic, I like the look better. Second is it seems to add another layer of insulation slowing the radiation of heat from the exposed aluminum surface.

The wood (cedar) is glued to the aluminum surface with hi temp silicone, and cut back from the edge about 1 inch to reduce the contact with the very high temp edge; The wood may not survive the heat long term but I thought I would give it a try. No real data yet but I think the heat loss via the radiating heat from the metal has gone down. Time will tell.

4) Wood handles worked so well on window door I decided to add to the well insulated door.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

Thermometer down.

Well the door with the window had it's first failure.

The very fragile thermometer i had in the window got bent due to high winds; the door tipped over with the thermometer in place and bent the probe.

I will now be mounting a more heavy duty thermometer in the body of the door.

Back to the decorative nautical theme idea for filling the hole in the glass.

Chip
                          Chip

Comment

Did a few rolls from the left over dough from the 2 weekend pizza parties we had.

The floor of the oven was still a little to hot and I needed to take them out a little earlier than I wanted.

But using the window door allowed me to determine this without opening the door.

Successful flavor and nice texture. Not cut deep enough to get a nice rip.

Chip
                            Chip

Comment

Hi, Chip.

I'm in the initial stages of planning an oven and wanted to say I really appreciate and admire all the work you've done here - both on the oven itself and on this thread. Definitely, this is information that I'll be using as I go along!

It looks like it's been a couple few years since construction finished. Any developments to share after using your great outdoor kitchen for a while?

Thanks,

-hoobie

Comment

Originally posted by Hoobie View Post
                                Hi, Chip.

I'm in the initial stages of planning an oven and wanted to say I really appreciate and admire all the work you've done here - both on the oven itself and on this thread. Definitely, this is information that I'll be using as I go along!

It looks like it's been a couple few years since construction finished. Any developments to share after using your great outdoor kitchen for a while?

Thanks,

-hoobie
                                If you get to the Minneapolis area you need to stop by.

Hi and thanks for your kind words, as a mater of fact have not quite reached a year of cooking, Oct 13 will be the official anniversary date of cooking.

Funny you should say since I finished my oven. As with many on this forum I am still working on the finishing details and was cutting the granite slab for the prep table earlier today. Picked it up off Craigslist for $175

I still have a little brick work to do on the back side and also my entry to the oven still needs detailing.

I hope to set the granite tonight. But it will require 3 more strong guys so I will see if I can line them up.

I made up some nice batards today nice crust and crumb, 3 day cold ferment with 4 stretch and folds. The port hole door worked fantastic for viewing the bread as it cooked.

See the attached photos

Chip
                                Last edited by mrchipster; 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM.
                                Chip

Comment

Working...
                                X